Fine oatmeal?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Does any supermarket stock fine oatmeal as used to make oatcakes? Tesco and ASDA list medium but I'd rather not have to grind it down some more.

Or if anyone knows where I can get a small sack of the stuff, up to 5 kg, in East Lancs we can go further.

ATB

Tom

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
I just use pinhead meal....but, if you want fines just sieve the rolled oats that's sold cheaply in bags in the supermarkets. That oat flour is excellent for a lot of things :) It's great for baking, but it makes baby food too. It's also good to use to dip things for a crumb coating.....can be sticky though if used thickly.

I have no idea who would sell fines closer to you though Tom.

atb,
M

....Just realised that you'll maybe be making English oatcakes ? not the gallettes d'avoine type ones that are more common in Scotland ?
You'd need to sieve an awful lot of rolled oats to get enough flour for those :sigh:
M

Last edited:

Mouse040

Apr 26, 2013
Radstock
Healthbay.com stock fine oatmeal and is about £2.10 kg they are quite good and delivery is quick and not bad priced ,they also take PayPal

Even the darkest night will end and the sun will rise
@mouseinthewood

plastic-ninja

Jan 11, 2011
cumbria
Have you tried Booths? That may be one of those strange things they keep in stock.
More of a grocer than a supermarket is how Edwin (Booth) describes it.
Must be one near you, could be worth a look.
hth Simon

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers folks! Thanks for your thoughts. I'll hit the health food shops first as it sticks in my craw paying postage on food, but if I have to I have to. I dropped a line to a producer up in Scotland to see if they supply anyone locally.

Yup its for English oatcakes that I want it for, Tescos around here only occaisionally have them in, the smaller one closest not at all. We lived in and around Stoke for a few years and got a taste for them then. What set me off thinking about them today was a recipe for havercakes. I fancy making some then drying them like back in the day for journey food. Im also trying to be a good boy and cut down on wheat. Saying that Im still trying to score some emer (without paying postage again) but like spelt its got to be better for me than the modern bread flour stuff.

Thanks again!

Tom

Alreetmiowdmuka

Apr 24, 2013
Bolton
Cheers folks! Thanks for your thoughts. I'll hit the health food shops first as it sticks in my craw paying postage on food, but if I have to I have to. I dropped a line to a producer up in Scotland to see if they supply anyone locally.

Yup its for English oatcakes that I want it for, Tescos around here only occaisionally have them in, the smaller one closest not at all. We lived in and around Stoke for a few years and got a taste for them then. What set me off thinking about them today was a recipe for havercakes. I fancy making some then drying them like back in the day for journey food. Im also trying to be a good boy and cut down on wheat. Saying that Im still trying to score some emer (without paying postage again) but like spelt its got to be better for me than the modern bread flour stuff.

Thanks again!

Tom

I work with a couple of guys from Stoke n they bring the oat cakes I sometimes from brekki.yer can't beat a thoaty cake wi bacon n cheese I could a thousand of em in one go

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Cheers for your thoughts folks.

A nice chap at Aberfeldy Oats has offered to courier down 4 x 1kg bags of fines for whats not much more than I'd pay for a day rover ticket I'd need to get to the nearest place that's likely to have mornflake fine oatmeal, which seams to be the most common brand. I'll see if herself will fund my oatcake fettish. She loves them as well so I may get lucky.... Ah the joys of being a kept man!

ATB

Tom

TallMikeM

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 30, 2005
Hatherleigh, Devon
good thread, I recall having oat pancakes in a little place in Bakewell for breakfast and thinking they were the bees knees. Will have to source some fine oats and make up a batch.

Tadpole

Nov 12, 2005
Bristol
For Staffordshire oatcakes, buy normal oats and stick them in a Blender or food processor, and blitz away till they are fine enough, not to fine is fine for oatcakes.

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
Slight problem with that for me, no blender or food processor! Wouldn't mind my own quern if I could find one cheap, I'm sure there isn't enough grit in my diet these days...

ATB

Tom

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Trust me on this; using a quern is fun, for all of five minutes. It rapidly becomes slave labour :(

Skeletons of those who had no other recourse show wear and tear that is equivalent to a woman in her early twenties with the joints of an arthritic woman in her sixties.
At least they had grain to grind though.

Best advice if you're using a quern is to crack the grain first, and that after you have heated it and winnowed it to remove the outer husks.

It's one reason that so much of the world (in some areas still does) ate porridge that can made from coarse ground or broken grain.

cheers,
Mary

tombear

On a new journey
Jul 9, 2004
Rossendale, Lancashire
No slaves as such but three surprisingly (so far) obedient sons.....

i doubt I'll ever get one, what with all the other toys I'd like. It's horrifying how much time was spent on processing grains or other staples, and in getting them into eatable forms. Look at processing sago, or the time spent just making tortillas or chapattis that still goes on.

Theres some real neat modern small mills, either electric or geared hand cranked you can get over in the US. I just can't merit that sort of thing that would sit in a cupboard one year to the next.

ATB

TOM

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Actually Tom, if you can get your hands on a caw the handle type grain grinder, they might be hard work, but only on the biceps :D and they make really good flour. Mine could do with a much deeper hopper, but otherwise it's an excellent tool.

I'm kind of surprised that you don't have one of these....like a clamp it onto the table mincer, but a bit bigger and instead of the grated plates it has adjustable ridged plates for grinding grain to suit.

I'll see if I can find a link; I'm sure BR posted links years ago about American ones, but mine's British.

atb,
M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE