FINDING WORK AND TRAINING ADVICE . coppicing and woodland management

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
Due to health problems I may lose my full time job and I'm weighing up my options .
Im looking for information in the field of coppicing and woodland management in basingstoke and surrounding area .
Basically I work in a paper mill and the dust is killing me slowly .
So I have cronic sinitus due to it and athsma & the only relief is being out-doors .
But luckly I love being out-doors and dont mind a graft and would love to learn new skills .

If anyone can point me to any companys , courses , land owners etc that may help me in the future find work/training in this feild . or ways into it , I'd be very greatfull

Maxwellol

Tenderfoot
Feb 10, 2013
Manchester
Sue the crappy out of the factory for not providing you with adequate respiratory/protective equipment....and then buy some woodland witht he proceeds and live like a king of nature!

Sorry, I don't have any decent advice :(

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
That is awful mate. Id recommend contacting your Local ranger service, as I a starting point. There are loads of charities that also do loads of woodland management like the woodland trust, the conservation volunteers or your local wildlife trust.

All of them should provide the equipment you need which is abound saves you buying tools etc

Good luck with your endeavours and let us know how you get on with it.

Orric

kodiakjoe

Apr 11, 2011
Leeds
Sorry to hear about your situation Paddy
I've put a couple of links below which should provide some direction and some interesting reading. If you're keen to get out and about soon then your local TCV group will be running volunteer days as may local wildlife trusts and nature reserves. Now's the time to get out as the season for coppicing will end soon as bird nesting season kicks off in March.

Hope the info proves useful and you're out coppicing soon

http://smallwoods.org.uk/
http://www.coppice.co.uk/links/
http://www.tcv.org.uk/

here's a link to a brilliant new practical bok on coppicing and coppice work too:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/1847972128/?tag=hydra0b-21&hvadid=9550948989&ref=asc_df_1847972128

Jackdaw

You could also try the British Trust for Conservation Volunteers now The Conservation Volunteers. They normally organise work days during the week and at weekends from most large towns and cities.

Their practical books were my bible whilst I was studying conservation at university. Try and get a copy of their "Woodlands - a practical handbook" as it is a great guide.

Failing that, any of the wildlife trust would snap you up and would even provide training as required.

With regard to the nesting bird season, this doesn't stop you carrying out work, but it does mean that you need to be vigilant and check that there are no nests (whether being created or with eggs/chicks in) within the areas you are going to work. The protection gets stronger when Schedule 1 birds (barn owl/marsh harrier etc.) are involved where you are not allowed to disturb them whilst they are on a nest.

However, working with any of the organisations listed above will mean that these things will already be taken into account in the planning process.

Coppicing is best done before the growing season starts, but can be done any time of the year.

Paddytray

Settler
Jul 11, 2012
basingstoke
Cheers guys I'm still with my company and yeah If they sack me for being off so long I will look for legal help.
They've basically admitted giving me the wrong P.P.E for the job.

Thanks for all the wise words and links I'm mearly covering my Harris And looking at my options.
As I've been rough for over a year , taken every medification steriod etc that they can throw at me .
Even had a opperation but I'm still battling it .

I will get on at some of these companys and links etc THANKS GUYS:You_Rock_

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE