Finding the time...

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

bushcraftbob

Settler
Jun 1, 2007
Oxfordshire
How do you guys make time for bushcraft? Im not lucky enough to have a job which involves being in the countryside and it feels like my life is a bit of a 'rat race' trying to squeeze everything in, what with work and the mrs etc...Does anybody else have this problem? How do you make time for work, girlfiend/wife, other social commitments and bushcraft (with actually getting some sleep at the same time!)

When the bird wants to go to Ikea, i find it hard to turn round and say "nah not today i wanna go up the woods and go foraging"...anybody gimme any tips on slowing ur life down a bit and making a bit more time for the outdoors?

cheers

dave k

Nomad
Jun 14, 2006
Blonay, Switzerland
How do you guys make time for bushcraft? Im not lucky enough to have a job which involves being in the countryside and it feels like my life is a bit of a 'rat race' trying to squeeze everything in, what with work and the mrs etc...Does anybody else have this problem? How do you make time for work, girlfiend/wife, other social commitments and bushcraft (with actually getting some sleep at the same time!)

When the bird wants to go to Ikea, i find it hard to turn round and say "nah not today i wanna go up the woods and go foraging"...anybody gimme any tips on slowing ur life down a bit and making a bit more time for the outdoors?

cheers

I've gone the other way. My OH is now interested in this kind of stuff, and we don't need an excuse to go into the woods foraging, looking at stuff or just ambling about!

If she's got any interest's that are similar or cross over, this could be the ideal way.

shep

Maker
Mar 22, 2007
Norfolk
I have the same problem, a busy working life, other interests and a young family. I do it through lots of compromises. For a few hours bimble, I put the baby on a backpack and let the OH have some rest while I enjoy myself. The little one likes to play with whatever flowers, leaves etc I hand her. Sometimes SWMBO comes along for the walk too.

For an overnighter, I've compromised on leaving in the afternoon and returning in the morning. I'm only actually away for 18hours-ish, but in summer you can cover plenty of ground into the evening, enjoy a bit of outdoor tranquility for the night, spend the morning bimbling then home for a roast!

Shared interests is a good point, we're looking for a foraging course to go on this year as it will combine my outdoor interest and her cooking passion.

godfather

Nomad
Oct 28, 2003
Hertfordshire
yeah, I know the feeling well as I work for a big city firm during most of the hours god gives. One thing that has worked for me is spending a couple of hours a week in the garden but not doing any gardening to keep me grounded. I have created a little woodland area in the corner where I can practice doing stuff or just sit there.

We also go on a few walks into the country side where I generally bore my wife senseless talking about plants and natural resources. Lucky for them, the kids are below the age where they can understand my ravings so they are spared!!

On a serious note the key is to your partner understanding what floats your boat and that we all need "us" time.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I have a full time job, two children (one just three, one almost two) and a large dog.

The dog is the answer, I HAVE to be outside for 90 mins a day at least, both my children love being outside and my daughter (3 and a week) can identify half a dozen birds and the same number of flowers!!!

I am lucky in that my wife enjoys similar pursuits to me, we had a month long camping holiday in Ireland for our honeymoon. But an average day includes me racing home, spending an hour with the kids, putting them to bed, walking the dog, eating and then sitting down to my leather orders at 8.30pm with bed when I finish two hours later.

It's madness, but then now I have less time to do it, I appreciate it more when I do get the chance. It'll be even worse when I start my course in the autumn....

Dynamite Dan

Need to contact Admin...
Jun 19, 2007
BlackBurn, Lancashire
I've got a full time job, But unfortunatly, the weather has been to wet for me to out into the country sit under a tree and carve myself something, so im biding my time untill the sun comes out to play, and all i have to say, is "im going out for a walk.. bye"

john scrivy

Nomad
May 28, 2007
essex
my missis hates most things i love ie bushcraft though she does love a country walk cut a long story short we was walkin past a well known plant i said thats a burdock you can eat the root she replied not interested after about an hour on the way back to the car she says im busting for a Pee I said you should have said earlier there is a plant you can rub on your wrist to stop that but I didnt say anything because you are not inteested HA HA

Sickboy

Nomad
Sep 12, 2005
London
Have tried to get the better half involved, but being a real town girl hate's the dirt, creepy crawly's, the rain, the animal's(!) etc etc. Though i think that has helped us along the way, time apart (while not at work) is precious, give's us time to relax, infront of the playstation/in the wood's for me and visiting relatives/shopping for her.
I try and do atleast a weekend a month away in the wood's or wherever, though we don't have children so this is easier at the moment (maybe next year dear).
Have taken her to the woods a couple of time's, although a different type of foraging seem's to be on her mind, Fnarr Fnarr :D
Rekon i'll buy her a pair of boot's and a waterproof jkt and see if that spur's any interest, anybody used the prada outdoor range?:eek:

eraaij

Settler
Feb 18, 2004
Arnhem

cheers

Oh, I don't know. Those IVAR racks are excellent material for feathersticks. :cool:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE