finding legal land

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Woods Wanderer

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 26, 2006
lincolnshire
how do i find land to use preferably in lincolnshire i dont know any landowners and the other thing is what on earth do i ask them id like to hunt vermin and pests make debry shelters cut copisable wood light fire and spend the night but how do explain that across ,what did any of you ask
theres a huge crackdown on anything sharp and pointy and now im hardly enjoying myself because even though im out of the way there is still a huge risk factor now as dog walkers and horse riders use the wood i do
im getting tyered of cutting my nuckels with my legal to carry knife when it folds on me, any information will be exalent thank you

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
I would suggest knocking on some doors. Look at the land and knock on a door where you think they might know who owns the land, then go from there. I've done it a few times and it's worked out ok for me.

Also make sure that everyone you know knows that you're after some woodland to spend time in.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
You could also contact the local young farmers group, maybe broach the subject with one of the committee members and see what they advise. They might know of someone who has a vermin problem, up here it's usually pigeons :rolleyes: that they might welcome a helping hand with. Take it from there.
http://www.nfyfc.org.uk/
There's usually a local airgun club too, again, they might know of land where they can shoot over; I know of three farms up here that allow a friend to shoot rabbits and pigeons. Again take it from there.
http://www.airgun.co.uk/clubs.htm

As Tony says though, it's about personal contact, and if you don't ask you won't get.
Hope you find someplace soon.

Cheers,
Toddy

running bare

Banned
Sep 28, 2005
jarrow,tyne & wear uk
i would agree with toddy & tony. and in my opinion i would go looking in smart casual wear, then the land owner sees a respectable person if you see what i mean? first impressions and all..
tom

ps. good luck in your search mate :D

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Also ask yourself the question....whats in it for them? A few years ago I did some work tidying up a rampant orchard for an 80 year old lady who owned a farm. Did it purely as a neighbour, she insisted on paying me and I said "no ta - any chance of some shooting rights?". She rang neighbouring farms as well and got me more land to shoot than I could ask for.

How would you feel if a stranger wanted to use something of yours? How about someone who had previously done you a favour?

Now I grant you, finding someone to do a favour for is challenging, but how about beating for a shoot? They get to know you and after a few weeks you could offer to "swap" time for access. Getting to know landowners in a social setting will open many doors as well, hunts, NFU, CLA, Countryside Alliance, BASC

Red

Ogri the trog

Mod
Mod
Apr 29, 2005
Mid Wales UK
Good Luck WW,
I did much the same as most have suggested, offer to help at busy times (lambing season is starting now) fence/ gate repairs, even just an extra pair of eyes watching for preditors/ poachers. I started off shooting vermin and now have access to over 500 acres.
Running Bare has good advice on the initial meeting, "Smart Casual" - neither combats nor a track suit. Some form of insurance will go a long way to showing that you take your ideals seriously, as would membership of a nationaly recognised "countryside" organisation.
If you do gain shooting permission, remember to offer some of your bag to the owner if its edible and proof of what has been taken if it is not edible. A diminishing bag shows that you are in control of verminous pests and don't forget to mention broken things that you have fixed or things that might need serious attention that the owner might have missed.

Good luck, its a hard slog but worth it in the end.

Ogri the trog

Polestar

Tenderfoot
Oct 7, 2005
Lewes
Ogri the trog said:
Some form of insurance will go a long way to showing that you take your ideals seriously, as would membership of a nationaly recognised "countryside" organisation.
Ogri the trog

Agree with Ogri .. membership of the BASC (with its 'public liability' Insurance cover) certainly helped no-end in my getting shooting rights from a local farmer ... as did offering to help out with odd-jobs as-and-when I have a bit of time. Hope you can find someone who gives you the chance.
David

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE