Find the pitbull

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida
I really like this post bud, i'm a strong believer in "the owner not the breed" thing...

Up to a point yes but what is a "breed?" It's a dog that arrived by selective breeding for certain traits considered "desirable." Unfortunately the "desirable" traits used to arrive at the Pit Bull were aggression, unwaivering determination, and stubborness. After all the end goal in mind when developing (originally) the breed was a dog capable of herding stubborn (semi wild) bulls and guarding from wolves and bears. In the last century that purpose devolved into dog-fighting and more recently into protecting junk yards and drug dealers.

Yes even respectable people keep them as pets but they still have those traits deeply bred in. They aren't for a rookie owner.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Up to a point yes but what is a "breed?" It's a dog that arrived by selective breeding for certain traits considered "desirable." Unfortunately the "desirable" traits used to arrive at the Pit Bull were aggression, unwaivering determination, and stubborness. After all the end goal in mind when developing (originally) the breed was a dog capable of herding stubborn (semi wild) bulls and guarding from wolves and bears. In the last century that purpose devolved into dog-fighting and more recently into protecting junk yards and drug dealers.

Yes even respectable people keep them as pets but they still have those traits deeply bred in. They aren't for a rookie owner.

I agree with most of what you said santaman except that the bull breeds weren't bred to herd cattle nor protect them from predators.

shogun

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2009
U.K
I agree with most of what you said santaman except that the bull breeds weren't bred to herd cattle nor protect them from predators.

hi there blacktimberwolf i found this from the APBT history..

In 1835 bull baiting was officially banned. This forced people especially of the lower classes to find alternative work for their dogs. Unlike today's life of privilege the PitBull often leads the dog of that time had to earn its dinner along with every other capable member of the family. Dogs of this time were integral to survival and were worth their weight in gold for their abilities to hunt, herd and guard.

Last edited:

shogun

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2009
U.K
aye your right i wa just pointing out that santaman was correct as are you..lol..

The most reliable history on the beginning development of the PitBull, goes back to the time of the Romans. During the time of Minos in Crete the sport of bull baiting was quite a popular form of pagan worship and entertainment. This sport was developed as a part of the worship practice in honor of the warrior god "Mithras".

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I'd like to know your definitions of herding !........& how many bull breed owners back in the 19 century had anything to herd anyway, being mostly urban dwelling.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
aye your right i wa just pointing out that santaman was correct as are you..lol..

The most reliable history on the beginning development of the PitBull, goes back to the time of the Romans. During the time of Minos in Crete the sport of bull baiting was quite a popular form of pagan worship and entertainment. This sport was developed as a part of the worship practice in honor of the warrior god "Mithras".

There weren't a lot of pitbulls around back in ancient Greece or roman antiquity.

shogun

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2009
U.K
I'd like to know your definitions of herding !........& how many bull breed owners back in the 19 century had anything to herd anyway, being mostly urban dwelling.

hi there blacktimberwolf this is not my opinion i am only stating what i am reading here in this book,i agree that the dogs where used for bull baiting,fighting,ratting,herding i wouldnt agree with that but the history that is written states herding
but then goes on to say stock control?

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
hi there blacktimberwolf this is not my opinion i am only stating what i am reading here in this book,i agree that the dogs where used for bull baiting,fighting,ratting,herding i wouldnt agree with that but the history that is written states herding
but then goes on to say stock control?

Yes, stock control in the cattle markets, that being the bulldogs original task.

shogun

Need to contact Admin...
Mar 31, 2009
U.K
Yes, stock control in the cattle markets, that being the bulldogs original task.

yes i agree fella but who ever wrote herding should change it to stock control, i was only putting up what is written down
as APBT history..atb Allan

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
Hi lucky, have to agree they are good looking dogs but are sure they're pitbulls as under the 1991 dangerous dogs act, pitbulls (as well as 3 other breeds) have been banned in the UK, they look more like AmStaffs.( with or without pedigrees)

santaman2000

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Jan 15, 2011
Florida

I was only referring to the American Pit Bull. The Catahoula is one of the Bull breeds and was developed for herding in the Louisiana swamps. Still used for that to some extent.

Feb 15, 2011
Elsewhere
I was only referring to the American Pit Bull. The Catahoula is one of the Bull breeds and was developed for herding in the Louisiana swamps. Still used for that to some extent.

The catahoula is an interesting breed, not at all a bull breed but descended from mastiffs, possibly native indian dogs & french herding dogs & used for hunting & tracking large game. True though that some do show relatively good herding instincts (thanks to the crosses with the bas rouge no doubt ) I understand that the AKC & the UKC classes them in the 'herding dog group but I believe the UK's KC classes them in the hound group ( not 100% sure though)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE