Final Knife Design Drawings and Poll: Handle colour

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

What colour of curly birch handle

• Total voters

larry the spark

Forager
Dec 16, 2003
Belfast
Here are the two blade shapes with the winning handle shape. Dave Barker has decided to have the first one (drop point) made with convex grind and a secondary bevel as per martins description. The second will be the spear point blade with a flat grind.

If the blade shapes look a bit out don't worry, they are only there as an impression! I'm sure Dave and Frank will get it right.

A poll is included to get a decision on what colour the curly birch handle will be. The poll will run for 2 days from now (3.30pm Tuesday)

Also please mention any last minute alterations/suggestions below.

I would personally like a stainless steel butt cap over the pommel....anyone else?

images.php

larry the spark

Forager
Dec 16, 2003
Belfast
Have look at the colours on shaft poll for now. I think 1+3 are natural curly birch, but I've emailed Dave to sort it out and we'll put something up soon. Sorry for any confusion :-?

JakeR

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2004
Cardiff
I am sorry if this has been said, but how much will it cost (if you plan to sell it)

Jake

Dave Barker

Nomad
Sep 15, 2003
Norway
www.brukskniver.net
At last we are getting towards something solid.

With regard to the colour I can try and post a piccie or two, BUT it is important to remember that what you see is not neccessarily what you get. I use a layering technique for colouring the wood. It takes time and the hardness of the wood decides on how the final pattern looks.

If we look at a black and orange example
preview1.jpg
then on this knife the orange was flekked.

I have a picture of a knife in brown and red( which i can't load up here) let me know via mail and I can send it to you.

Ultimately the colouration will vary from blank to blank, even fron each side of the knife. To keep the cost down I am using an ok quality curly( with regards to patterning) if you want it natural then it may look a little dull, colouring is a good alternative. To be honest I don't know how each one will turn out.

Hpe tis helps, LARRY, if you manage to post the picture I sent you via mail just now then you are a star!

Dave Barker

Nomad
Sep 15, 2003
Norway
www.brukskniver.net
That particular red and brown, knife came from burch of a asimilar quality to that I have now. So it goes to show.

I need to reiterate tho that the way the colour turns out is unknown even to me from shaft to shaft. I really can't guaretee that it will be as bold as this. You picks the colour, you get what you get.

:lol:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE