Filling the freezer - PIC WARNING.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Dougster

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 13, 2005
The banks of the Deveron.
I'm moving more and more towards only eating the meat I harvest myself.
The freezer was looking a little bare, with one big roasting joint of venison left and a few rabbits so I thought, time to get some steaks.

I called a friend who said, 'lets drive up to a new permission in the Cotswolds for a look what they have.' I was excited, new place, new challenge, new opportunities.

I arrived at the friends farm to have him sit with a coffee and say that he hadn't made contact and I should go in his field. My heart sank, the field is full of deer, but full of dog walkers and the deer are wary as a result. More often than not you never see them. They come out after dark and scoot to an area they are never shot at.

I sat in the field for an hour and enjoyed the sunshine sitting on grass and feeling warm. Feelings that have been rare for quite some time, I had a slight tinge of guilt that my wife was at home with two tired and grumpy children. I knew it was too early really, I called my friend to ask him about the other farm and was reminded about the need for patience - a point well made! I didn't have any today because of the guilt and said I would go down to the farm and have a coffee before going home.

I stood up and made to move away, took off my camo gloves and, as always took a last look behind me. 90 yards away there he was, a decent sized buck of about two. Gloves make a huge difference, the whites of the outside of the palm of your hand are seen like beacons. I struggled to use my binoculars to see him.

I was stood up, in the open, with my rifle on my shoulder and my sticks on the floor. Nightmare.

I waited perfectly still until he started to graze, them picked up my sticks having dropped to my knees. He looked at me and I froze, when he moved I readied myself again, my heart beating like crazy; so much so I was shaking.

He walked in front of a bank of earth and stopped, backstop, clear shot, all safe. Boom. I saw later I had severed all the blood vessels from the top of the heart, it was quick and clean.

He walked ten paces, dead on his feet before he dropped in clear sight. I gave him a minute and walked on to him, checking he was dead and allowing myself a moment to calm down. The exit wound was clear, the rounds I use now are quite heavy and slow (140 grain), imparting more shock into the animal and causing less meat damage. I find this means that there is usually less reaction and obviously less waste. It's like when you stub your toe badly, you don't feel it for a while and then the pain kicks in badly, but in this situation, the deer is dead before they come out of the shock.

Within an hour the meat was bagged, in the fridge and will have a few days there to tenderise. I prefer the flavour that way to when it is done with the skin on. My wife and I will enjoy steaks on Sunday, the dogs enjoyed some scraps. My bloodhound found a lost deer last weekend for another shooter who had searched in vain for an hour and he is a great asset, it is always good to remind him what he is looking for. It is also great to have a friend into charcuterie as I will also have salami off this animal.

What a way to do it, excitement, a challenge, regret (with every life taken) and ultimately gratitude for this beautiful animal that will feed me, my wife and our children, will allow me to barter (the chap who supplies my car tyres will provide his labour for my meat) and a new hat rack for friends. I'm not a trophy collector as such.

I've become a bit of a fan of Steve Rinella and couldn't put his book Meateater down. If you are interested in this perspective it is worth a read. It's worth looking for him on Youtube too.

I realise I've left myself open here and understand this may seem anathema to many, but I do honestly believe this is the best way to be a meat eater. To work for it, understand how it came about, how it died and be involved in every step of the process. I am proud to hunt what I eat.

Elen Sentier

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Thank you very much for this, it means a great deal to me, especially your description of the challenge, how the buck looked at you and then walked in front of the earth-backstop. I'm blind as a bat and with deformed hands, as well as shoulders full of osteoporosis that cannot take the backfire of a gun so there's no way I can shoot my own meat. I would happily go out with you - except that I'd probably be a pain in the a--e as i wouldn't be competent to be silent and invisile enough! - to get the meat that I would eat.

I'm careful over the farm meat that I eat, know the farmers well, have often met and maybe helped with the animals, know the beasts I will later eat. To me, this is really important. I actually know the vegetables i eat in a similar way, ften I've grown them myself, and harvested them. They are living beings too - even if not cute and furry! All life should be respected.

I was particualrly interested in what you said about the "shock" element - the stubbed toe example is very good. And the fact that the deer walked on 7 paces before his body fell down although he was well gone before he began the walk. The careful choice of shot to do the job most effectively is something that means a lot to me.

And thank you for the pictures ...

Dougster

Oct 13, 2005
I still deal with farmers, but friends who farm. I am trading two deer for a Gloucester old spot I will watch grow. That is a new level of bravery for me, helping them grow and then doing it......:(

It's a long way to come for a 3 in 4 chance you won't see anything.

Oops, odds are slightly better than 3/3 failing.

Last edited:

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
good drills Doug, what caliber is your rifle and make if you dont mind, is it .243?

good to see real life for once, an animal free living naturally as nature intended followed by a swift ending with no waste.....;) good shot sir...:)

bb07

Native
Feb 21, 2010
Rupert's Land
I'm moving more and more towards only eating the meat I harvest myself.

What a way to do it, excitement, a challenge, regret (with every life taken) and ultimately gratitude for this beautiful animal that will feed me, my wife and our children

I am proud to hunt what I eat.

Very well said and I agree completely. Excellent shooting.goodjob
I too prefer to hunt for my meat. And for that I make no apologies:)

VANDEEN

Nomad
Sep 1, 2011
Newcastle Upon Tyne
Nice to hear I'm not the only one to briefly feel that "regret" stage following a kill.

Seeing the sheen and shimmer of the feathers on a malard Drake head, or the multi-faceted reflection from a trout scales as they lie at my feet always reminds me off the beauty I've just removed from nature.
It kind of makes me say sorry and thank you at the same time from somewhere deep inside.

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
I would have thought a 140 grain was .308. I use a heavy round in my .243 and it's only 100 grain.

Nice shot, text book- straight off of the DSC1 photoslides.

Although I do shoot deer, permissions here are few and far between as most are owned by feudal land owners that don't want to share, I've permission on 500 acres but the landowner doesn't want me to shoot deer, hare or pheasant (but I'm not grumbling as land is so hard to come by in the south east.

Last edited:

Marijn

Tenderfoot
Jul 25, 2006
The Netherlands
Waidmannsheil!

Perfect shot placement and a good respectfull discription of events.

The rounds you use, do they keep most of their mass or shatter?
I'm about to change to the Barnes TTSX bullits because of changes in legislation, but also because of bullit effect.

Are there any moves towards lead-free bullits in the UK?

Biker

Well described Richard and nice shootin' too.

I know it's not in the same league as what you've done, but when I helped slaughter and butcher a sheep (done three so far) I felt it's given me a better understanding on an intellectual and emotional level for where meat comes from than the average person who thinks it comes wrapped in clingfilm on a polystyrene tray.

Bon appetite!

Dougster

Oct 13, 2005
Well described Richard and nice shootin' too.

I know it's not in the same league as what you've done, but when I helped slaughter and butcher a sheep (done three so far) I felt it's given me a better understanding on an intellectual and emotional level for where meat comes from than the average person who thinks it comes wrapped in clingfilm on a polystyrene tray.

Bon appetite!

Cheers mate. I shot this 600 yards from where we met, the area I pointed out so all nice and local.

Marijn, these are expanding bullets rather than ballistic so they mushroom rather than explode. There are moves to restrict lead by Fieldsports Britain put up a lovely vid of lead levels in various areas this week.

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt
Rounds are getting more and more expensive. A move towards anything other than lead will be fantastically expensive. My set up has been done on the cheap (well a budget). I get decent (not outstanding) results with Prvi which are around £12-13 a box of 20, but these are soft nose and expand nicely. The only problem is supply- I prefer the 90 grain but can't always get it so get the 100 grain which makes a noticeable difference in POA at 150m.

Lister

Settler
Apr 3, 2012
Runcorn, Cheshire
Nicely done Dougster, i must admit the line "will allow me to barter (the chap who supplies my car tyres will provide his labour for my meat)" gave me a little chuckle but then I've always been twisted like that!

Elen Sentier

Nice to hear I'm not the only one to briefly feel that "regret" stage following a kill.

Seeing the sheen and shimmer of the feathers on a malard Drake head, or the multi-faceted reflection from a trout scales as they lie at my feet always reminds me off the beauty I've just removed from nature.
It kind of makes me say sorry and thank you at the same time from somewhere deep inside.

Years ago, when I used to fly-fish with Dad, he and I always said "thank you" to our catch. I say the same to the farm animals now. I understand the regret too and feel the same.

Damascus

Native
Dec 3, 2005
Norwich
You had more success than I, went out yesterday morning, spotted a deer in the long grass just looking at me, I stopped and had it in the cross hairs but because of the trees and the angle of its head In the poor light I could not make out, if muntjac or a roe doe (off limits) so I walked up to it. I got to about ten metres it just got up turned side on, muntjac, bugger no time to get a shot. Better to have erred on the side of caution, than make a mistake and walk away than have to explain.

lovely Roe, still in velvet as well, what the can on the end seems nice and compact?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE