file knife i made

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
have wanted to make my own knife for a while now, just completed this one made from an old file. blade length 95mm, 7mm wide
overall length 210mm. the tang has been skeletonised to keep the balance. this is the third knife i have made.

Samon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 24, 2011
Britannia!
That's really well done, the bluing is extremely even, kicks most of the dark blades I've seen well and truly into touch. What did you use, if you don't mind me asking?

I agree, bluing looks brilliant!

In fact the whole knife looks excellent. Will you be making more?

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
thank you, i used "ballistol quick browning" for the bluing and gave it a light going over with fine grade steel wool. have made a couple others and have a few on the go right now

ol smokey

Oct 16, 2006
Scotland
That is a real Cracker, love the proportions and the fact that you have left the file teeth on the back edge of the blade, I
think that a leather sheath would finish it off better, that is just a personal preference,I like the blade a lot. Do keep up the good work, and I am sure that you will get a few customers on here if you intend to part with any of them.

mark.177

Maker
Apr 21, 2014
Cornwall UK
Really beautiful.

any chance of a quick talk through of the making _ tools, procedure??

Alex

probably simpler to do than explain! this particular knife started life as an old file. first thing needed is to get it soft enough to work (annealed) i got it cherry red in my diy forge for about half an hour before removing it and putting it in a tub filled with vermiculite granules to cool slowly.
once annealed i marked out the blade profile and drilled the tang for the pins and to reduce weight in the handle. next i cut the blade profile with an angle grinder working most of the bevle as well before moving onto a belt sander to finish the blade bevel.
next is the heat treat... again got it cherry red (non magnetic) being careful not to over heat the blade tip and let it soak in the heat for about 15 mins before quenching (blade only) in pre heated 85c rapeseed oil, straight in as quick as i could moving the blade back and forth (never side to side!)
next back on the belt sander to get the de carbonisation off and bevel finished before tempering the blade. usaully i would put the blade straight in a pre heated oven after quenching but i found the best way to temper these old files is to use a blow torch as the oven doesnt seem to get them soft enough to hold an edge... it just crumbles away as you sharpen because its still too hard and brittle. i tried several hours in the oven to no avail! upping the temperature made no difference! seems about 350-400c with the blow torch for 20 mins did the trick with the files i had... they now take a razor edge and hold it really well.
i know some have had problems getting old files heat treated with the files not getting hard or cracking, i've tried motor oil, hot salty water but found rapeseed oil works well if pre heated to about 85c. if your using different files or 01 tool steel you'de need to temper differently.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE