Field Camp oven - how to make?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

sparkplug

Forager
Jan 24, 2008
East Anglia
Hi,

I've seen some pics of a really interesting camp oven that was used at a Scout event but can't find any detail of its construction (all I've found are cardboard boxes wrapped in foil - which don't really interest me)

The oven in question is some sort of metal box which has what looks like a fire trench underneath it and is encased in earth but also has a chimney.

It looks like the sort of thing you could build in a couple of hours with minimum tools and could also very easily dismantle and cover back over when you leave. Ideal for a long weekend cookout for a group of people.

Can anyone help with this (or something similar) that they have made themselves.

I'm intending to make one at a site I know allows open fires and I've already checked that they don't mind me digging holes as long as I cover them up when I'm done. Scorch marks are not a problem as they will be in a designated bonfire area.

sparkplug

Forager
Jan 24, 2008
East Anglia
That's the sort of thing!

I can't figure out where the chimney goes and what it's purpose is really....

I guess it must go down to the fire trench which is otherwise sealed under the earth aside from an opening on the opposite side where you can feed new wood in?

I'm also not really sure how you would clear the fire trench for a second use (or make a deep enough trench to allow for ash build up)?

Would the tin need to be airtight or could I get away with using one of my oval dixie with the lid propped upright by a stick or something?
dixie.jpg

palace

Forager
Mar 4, 2011
NW London England
Personal preference I don't like using aluminium for cooking over hot logs or embers. I however do use a large ex army tool box, on it's side with flap hinging from above + a couple of 1" high spacers to get the bread tins or roasting tray away from direct heat. My 7 year old grandson loves the smoky flavour imparted to roast shoulder of lamb since the box is far from air tight.

sparkplug

Forager
Jan 24, 2008
East Anglia
Personal preference I don't like using aluminium for cooking over hot logs or embers
Thanks for the reply - I'd be interested to hear why! I'm not a big fan usually and always use stainless or cast iron at home. However large stainless pans are far too expensive for my budget and the ally dixies are great for big nettle soups and game stews but haven't really used them in any other context (aside from heating water for washing)

Hmm - didn't really explain myself did I? I sort of understand what a chimney does - I suppose what I was getting at was if it was used just to draw the air over the fire trench or if it somehow pulled the air over / around the metal tin.

It wasn't clear to me from the pictures I've seen if there is an air cavity around the tin or if the earth sits directly on it (which I guess is more likely)

lannyman8

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
dont have any good pics but it is very easy to do, all you need is a box (stell that is) with a lid, bins are good to use and come in a range of sizes, or steel bucket with a sheet of steel as a lid....:)

all you do is dig a trench smaller than the bin, sit it on top, set the pipe as a flue in the back, make sure it does not dig into the soil, i use a tent peg or 2 for that....

cover the whole lot with soil, then replace the grass/turf that you removed first on top....the soil holdes it all together, dont cover the lid area/overlap so you can replace the lid....

hope this helps...

chris.

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
if you look at my second pic you can see the wood stoacking end that is open and faceing you, the chimney draws the air out the other end, this provides fresh air/oxygen to fuel the fire, all systems like this need some form of chimney or other....

you can get rid of the pipe and use bricks or even just mud clodds or clay but it tends to break down as it dries out if you use mud, bricks work ok though...

chris.

PeterH

Settler
Oct 29, 2007
Milton Keynes
I have also done them dug into a bank, not sure words will work for this, try to draw something later!

In this design the box is stood vertically, door facing forward, similar to a Yorkshire boiler I guess. The hearth is wider than the box but lined at sides with brims that support the box, the hearh is longer than the depth so that the flue is between the bank and the box. You need an airspace between the box base and contents or it burns, cooling tray on a couple of stones is fine!

lannyman8

Jan 18, 2009
Dark side of the Moon
i second what Peter H said about the bottom needing to be kept clear, the good thing with a round container is you can have a hoter and cooler shelf, for the cool put the tray/grill (to support the tray) in length ways, this keeps it of the bottom and stops it burning....

the second put in width ways across the widest part, this becomes the top shelf and cooks faster....

you can get some really good results with this sort of oven, i have made cakes and all sorts in them....

you could use an old fileing cabinet, a large ammo box is good or weld 1 up to spec.....;)

sparkplug

Forager
Jan 24, 2008
East Anglia
Thanks all - I'm feeling like I understand this a lot more now and I feel inspired to give it a go.

Will try to source a suitable metal box, the rest I pretty much already have or can easily improvise.

Now where did I leave that shovel?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE