Fiebings Leather Dye 'Real' Colour Chart

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
I am having a real hard time deciding what colour I want to dye my sheath, or whether I want to dye it at all. I have been looking at the fiebing colour chart and it is really hard to visualise just what this might end up like

Also in regards to finishing I am thinking of Carnauba Cream and Leathersheen and Tan Kote on the inside. Afterwatching a useful video on youtube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X1pAMZQpYFA).

I was hoping that in this thread people could post a picture of their sheaths made with natural veg-tan hide and then describe the dyes and finishes they used. Especially, dyes, since I am hoping this will help me choose a dye for my own sheath (When I make it!)

It would be hopeful if I could see what an undyed but finished sheath looks like as well :) Since I hear that using the Carnauba Cream and Leathersheen darkens it slightly.

Cheers,
Matt

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
Unfortunately it is never quite as clear cut..... depending on the 'thickness' you apply the stain, the number of coats and obviously the original colour of the leather you can get wide variations even using the same dye.

Most finishes darken things, even 'natural' shoe polish darkens slightly so that will compound things

Then take into account that it is very hard to get a accurate colour representation in a photo and that every monitor / printer will give a slightly different cast to a photo.

for instance these two photos are of the same cover and were taken at the same time!

4316403239_7ec65fba41.jpg
4317133772_6d4ebff526.jpg

sorry that I don't seem to have helped the situation but I hope I have clarified at least.....

Toadflax

Native
Mar 26, 2007
Oxfordshire
If you're looking for something brown, then my advice would be to get something like Mid Brown and dilute it (either with water or dye thinner) and apply it in several coats until you get the colour you want. As you have said, applying a finish such as Carnauba will darken undyed leather (as well as dyed leather). When I started out, I made up various dye swatches on little bits of leather to see how it came out (and I still have all of them!).

What you should also do when dying is to dampen the leather before applying the dye, as both the standard and pro dyes tend to sit on the surface if you apply to dry leather (and I found that all browns came out dark brown).

Geoff

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Unfortunately it is never quite as clear cut..... depending on the 'thickness' you apply the stain, the number of coats and obviously the original colour of the leather you can get wide variations even using the same dye.

Most finishes darken things, even 'natural' shoe polish darkens slightly so that will compound things

Then take into account that it is very hard to get a accurate colour representation in a photo and that every monitor / printer will give a slightly different cast to a photo.

for instance these two photos are of the same cover and were taken at the same time!

sorry that I don't seem to have helped the situation but I hope I have clarified at least.....

Absolutely agree with the above, it's almost impossible to give anything but a very rough idea of how any leather dye will turn out. The only certainlty, is that what ever shade of leather you start with, will end up darker if you apply a dye.

You can get a rough idea but the chance of your finished item being exactly the same as the colour on the bottle or the sample in the shop, is just about zero, no matter which dye or finish you use.

An alternative is to use "dyed through" veg tan leather, which as its title suggests; is already dyed, usually, black, dark brown or tan. at least using this stuff, you will know what you're going to finish up with, although if you then add something like resolene or oil the leather for example, you'll darken it just the same.

The sheath below has several different dyes applied, as well as some areas left natural, then darkened with neutral polish.( you'll get a similar though varied, darkening effect with resolene, oil, etc etc.)
P7270016.jpg

Same sheath, same day, same camera and same settings, just the light changed
P7270017.jpg

The leather started a similar shade to this:
PC110011.jpg

To be absolutely frank, you're going to have to do what most of us did when we started and just experiment (ideally on bits of scrap from the leather you intend to use)

What ever you make, will darken with age and care ( polishing, cleaning etc) too.

R.B.

Last edited:

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK

4316403239_7ec65fba41.jpg
4317133772_6d4ebff526.jpg

Cheers, I understand the colours will vary with photos, monitors, light dependant, etc. However I am finding your post and the others helpful so far. Could you let me know the dyes and finishes you used? Thanks Guys. I have seen a lot of sheaths on here and it's nice to be able to find out how you obtained the colours with them. Also how you can make the colour vary with the amount of dye, the tip to wet the leather, etc.

Basically, I am hoping to be able to see the colour of your sheaths, the dye you choose and then decide from there. I'm sure it'll give me some indication of what I am aiming for. :D

Emdiesse

Settler
Jan 9, 2005
Surrey, UK
Absolutely agree with the above, it's almost impossible to give anything but a very rough idea of how any leather dye will turn out. The only certainlty, is that what ever shade of leather you start with, will end up darker if you apply a dye.

You can get a rough idea but the chances of your finished item being exactly the same as the colour on the bottle or the sample in the shop is just about zero, no matter which dye you use.

An alternative is to use "dyed through" veg tan leather, which as its title suggests; is already dyed, usually, black, dark brown or tan. at least using this stuff, you will know what you're going to finish up with, although if you then add something like resolene or oil the leather for example, you'll darken it just the same.

The sheath below has several different dyes applied, as well as some areas left natural, then darkened with neutral polish.
P7270016.jpg

Same sheath, same day, same camera and same settings, just the light changed
P7270017.jpg

The leather started a similar shade to this:
PC110011.jpg

To be absolutely frank, you're going to have to do what most of us did when we started and just experiment (ideally on bits of scrap from the leather you intend to use)

What ever you make, will darken with age and care ( polishing, cleaning etc) too.

R.B.

Rough guides I am happy with, I just fiind the block colours harder to visualise from than actual photos. It's giving my an understanding of how leather 'could' look, and I am happy to bear this in mind and go from there. Cheers :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE