My first real leather carving

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I have been commissioned to make a photo album cover and they want pictures of the Globe on the front and back (for photos of trips around the world...)
As I have never done any real leather carving per se I thought I had better practice... so I made myself a new table mat.
The mat is an A4 slab of 3.5mm Veg Tan and I made the globe image as follows:
1 - I found a picture of the world centred on Asia on Google and printed it of, playing with the size until I had it right.
2 - I then put the image over my damp leather and went around all the outlines of the landmasses with a ballpoint pen, pressing quite hard to give an impression in the leather.
3 - I then went over the impressions with a scalpel before compressing the "sea" side of the line with a modelling tool.
4 - I then used "Eco-Flo" dye to dye the whole thing - an all over dye first then sponge work for the corners and a paintbrush for the land.
5 - A final polish with Cherry Blossom Light tan
6 - I finished it off with a felt backing.

The paw prints are just stamps as per my usual decorative work and are purely something I wanted...
P3020004.jpg
I was looking for a "Rustic/Aged" look - and I think I got there...

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Very smart work there John nicely done, even though you're a totally hands on type of make it yourself dude that is still impressive for a first go at it

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Thanks for the kind words :)
The lady who has commissioned the album cover had a look today and loved the look - so all systems go tomorrow!
This view of the globe on the front and the Americas on the back ..lots of work to come ...

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Thank you all :)
I have now started on the Album cover - and promptly screwed it up!
Remember not to cut TOO deeply when carving the leather... the Americas (back of the cover) were ruined in one easy cut...
New blade + slightly thinner bit of leather = a fresh start and a new mat for the centre of our table!
Waste not, want not!
P3050002.jpg

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Well - after a false start...
The Album Cover!
Sorry about the picture quality but I have to deliver it tomorrow so no chance of natural light photos...
P3070004.jpg
P3070006.jpg
P3070007.jpg

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Delivered today and she liked it so much I got a big hug!
I normally only get hugs from those with learning disability these days... not staff!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE