fiddling with my honey... stove

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

gsfgaz

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 19, 2009
Hamilton... scotland
yi need ti start building it half a hour early , when people r setting up there sleeping arangements u start setting ur stove up ... haa haa

D

Dr.Gonzo

Just had a crazy idea! Got an old computer case kicking around, there are loads of nicely ready cut metal sheets right here infront of me! Ta Da! Even the cd drive cases are ready made burners, just need a few modifications!.. first, take the cd trays out... halfway there already.... or something.....
watch this space?......?... ummmm.... shall i name it (if successful) The Compustove?...... PC Stove....?.... Desktop burner?

From pentium chip to wood burner.. there's an irony there somewhere...

Big_bazza99

Nomad
Nov 8, 2008
North Yorks
All good points, especially the Kiwi boot polish tin! Nice one DV.
I'll agree on it being a good multi fuel burner, which is one of the main reasons i narrowed my choices to buying it, but there's a part of me that clings to simple designs as being the best designs at the end of the day.. having to devise techniques of putting kit together can get frustrating. On my camp with Wolfcrafter last week, halfway through putting it together, my exact words were 'i'll be selling this!'.... (and i wasn't even wearing mittens lol)

I'll give shewie's idea a try..
Does anyone know of similar designs out there??

Try putting together a Woodland Edge Firebox..........somone has even posted a video on Youtube of how to do it - there may be one there for a Honey Stove too.....will check.

Big_bazza99

Nomad
Nov 8, 2008
North Yorks
Just had a quick look - plenty of review videos, but nothing immediately apparent regarding putting one together.

....over to Shewie to make a video.....!

PS - Woodland Edge Firebox is very heavy and I'm after a Bushbuddy / Bushcooker too - ad in the classifieds section.

Mike Harlos

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2004
Canada
I've found it easiest to hold the stove during assembly such that each piece you add on tends to want to hang outwards, so that its own weight holds it in place. Once the first five pieces are together, I wrap the assembly around the baseplate so that the notches fit with the baseplate tabs, and then slide on the final wall piece.

I don't add in a meths stove... it's likely more complicated with that.

I was able to do this in minus 29 degrees C a couple of weeks ago, wearing thin liner mittens.

honeystove.jpg

Limaed

Apr 11, 2006
Perth
A pal of mine has just finished making me a Nimblewell in Ti, only used it a couple of times but I really like the simple multifuel design:

Nov10Ed031.jpg

Nov10Ed030.jpg

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I had an original (as did others here) for review and although I liked the principle I find them a PITA to put together in cold weather, shame its not hinged.

Last edited:

Neumo

Jul 16, 2009
West Sussex
I love my honey stove & putting it togeather is now part of the ritual of having a brew for me. Yes it is more complicated than some stoves to put togeather but it gets easier as you do it moe often & there are a few knacks to getting it to fit. That said it is a very versatile stove which can do wood, trangias, hexi & makes a nice small BBQ with the extension fitted. All stoves have some disadvantages but the honey is the one I use the most. I keep a thin bit of 8" x 8" ally in the bag that I use as a base plate, which means I can have a small fire in lot of places & leave virtually no trace at all

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
TBH i imagined putting mine together exactly as mike has shown in his pictures. glad to know that method will work :D
really looking forward to this now, i must say tho sitting down, building the stove and getting the water going for a brew is perfect. it'll slow everything down a notch and let you relax a little.

imagine if you're lost, SOP is sit down and have a brew, it'll take your mind off the map for a little bit and allow you to refresh then rethink.

gordonmac

Nomad
Oct 15, 2009
Caithness, Scotland
gordonmac.com
I've been using mine all year without any problems. I did find it a bit of a fiddle at first, but the more I used it the easier it became; now it goes together in no time at all.

I think for the weight, size and adaptability of the Honey Stove, the initial fiddles are a very simple compromise! I use mine with an Evernew Ultralight Titanium Alcohol Stove (http://backpackinglight.co.uk/product493.asp?PageID=99).

I also have an Evernew Ultralight Titanium DX Stand (http://backpackinglight.co.uk/product494.asp?PageID=99). It can be used as a wood burning stove, too. It's lighter, small and completely fiddle-free.

spoony

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 6, 2005
tyne and wear
www.bike2hike.co.uk
Dear what's all the fuss about,it's hardly rocket science is it. I can't believe the fuss. This is a bushcraft site. Forage for food, build I shelter using nothing but the bush around you. Sleep out in minus 10. And then winge about a stove. It's one of the best light weight multiple fuel stoves out there. Packs flat, easy to assemble. When I got mine I used it on shap moor in the winter. Minus 10 the lads I was with, told me to hold my hands in a small semi frozen beck it they hurt and went numb. I did and stll managed to assemble in about 1 and a half minutes.

D

Dr.Gonzo

I just tried this technique this morning, i am really surprised how simple yet effective it is..... i think i'll give this stove a few more trials.. I've been racking my brains on which design to go with and i find myself looking back at this thing thinking, 'i have a ready made unit right here'..... It might be difficult to get those plates connected, but i guess some more practise might save me the fuss of redesigning something which the Honey stove has accomplished already... Not to say it's not still frustrating when it falls apart lol!
Thanks all that contributed their ideas and experience. (and 'those' that threw tantrums on not being 'Bushcraft minded' enough.... not naming names... ;-)

Idea for a video competition: who can put theirs together the fastest! lol

I've found it easiest to hold the stove during assembly such that each piece you add on tends to want to hang outwards, so that its own weight holds it in place. Once the first five pieces are together, I wrap the assembly around the baseplate so that the notches fit with the baseplate tabs, and then slide on the final wall piece.

I don't add in a meths stove... it's likely more complicated with that.

I was able to do this in minus 29 degrees C a couple of weeks ago, wearing thin liner mittens.

honeystove.jpg

Melonfish

Jan 8, 2009
Warrington, UK
lol, who can put theirs together the fastest and blindfolded. then we'll move on to the L85A2 :D

putting mine together is a sinch, got it yesterday morning of all days, goes together quickly using the "Mike Harlos Method" which btw mike i reckon you should post a vid of you putting it together and send to BPL!

Mike Harlos

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2004
Canada
lol, who can put theirs together the fastest and blindfolded. then we'll move on to the L85A2 :D

putting mine together is a sinch, got it yesterday morning of all days, goes together quickly using the "Mike Harlos Method" which btw mike i reckon you should post a vid of you putting it together and send to BPL!

Glad it was helpful :)

A video might be more work than I'm up for, I'm afraid... someone else might have to take on that task!

Mike

widu13

Feb 9, 2008
Ubique Quo Fas Et Gloria Ducunt

I had a L85 for testing and issued an L85A1 6 months before leaving, so if you change your challenge to a L1A1 challenge I'm up for it! As for the honey. I've owned one for a while and I always find it a bugger to put together!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE