few spoons

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

GGTBod

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 28, 2014
Lovely lovely spoonage, sitting here 2.40 am hands sore as heck as i've been whittling a piece of seasoned pink ivory wood

forginhill

Settler
Dec 3, 2006
The Desert
Thanks! Don't envy you. I tried some ironwood once and gave up quickly.....Bet it'll look nice though when you're done.....kind of like sculpting....

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
it really really is like sculpting, i'm using a razor sharp sloyd knife and i am shaving it smaller at best, any more than that and i lift wedges tearing across the grain, only been carving for about 2 hrs and i have had the knife back on the honing stone every 15 minutes just to keep the shaving possible, no rush it will be a something

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
I eventually had to put it down mate, fingers and thumbs are all tender, knife looks like i have been cutting knots in kin dried oak or summick, the pink ivory is totally knot free but so bloody dense

forginhill

Settler
Dec 3, 2006
The Desert
Sounds like you're close to overdoing it with the hand and your knife edge (but I know progress is addictive)....I have a piece of pink ivory I was saving for handles. Might whittle on an edge just to see how crazy it is to carve.

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
Lovely spoons! And it looks like your chip carving decoration is getting more intricate. Is there any significance to the patterns ( some tribal influence perhaps?).

GGTBod

Mar 28, 2014
Sounds like you're close to overdoing it with the hand and your knife edge (but I know progress is addictive)....I have a piece of pink ivory I was saving for handles. Might whittle on an edge just to see how crazy it is to carve.

I should have put the knife down long before i did but i was enjoying myself despite the finger n thumb pain, mine are still in training from 20 years of office work to being an outdoorsman, slow n painful progress but they be getting tougher callous by callous and blister by blister, the wood is brutal on the knife edge though, spent a good hour when i was done this morning just restoring the edge fully

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE