few questions regarding bell tents

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

spiritwalker

Native
Jun 22, 2009
wirral
well after another nice weekend camping with the family the wind got the better of my tent and snapped a couple of the poles during set up, i plan to fix it but ive been mulling over investing in a more luxurious set up. I was considering saving up for a tentipi set up but i havent ruled out bell tents yet as the price is much more affordable. However i have a couple of questions so if you own one please enlighten me.

first off will the 4m bell tent take 2 double air beds either side of the pole? as i need a set up to suit the wife and I plus 2 kids (one six and other nearly 2)..

as they age i would like to go down a woodburning stove route so can you fit 4 people plus the stove (doesnt have to be 2 double mattress config for this maybe 4 singles arranged to suit or should i be looking at the 5m versions? ( i am not fussed about using inners )

also has anyone had one several years how do they last if cared for and any maintenance other than keeping it stored dry?

i havent yet seen one up close apart from in use at the bushcraft show but didnt get to go inside as it was someones set up as opposed to being on sale. I did get to go in tentipis which i like but they seem alot of money...

finally do they stand well in the wind and how easy are they to erect?

thanks in advance for any answers from experienced users..

greensurfingbear

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
first off will the 4m bell tent take 2 double air beds either side of the pole? as i need a set up to suit the wife and I plus 2 kids (one six and other nearly 2)..

as they age i would like to go down a woodburning stove route so can you fit 4 people plus the stove (doesnt have to be 2 double mattress config for this maybe 4 singles arranged to suit or should i be looking at the 5m versions? ( i am not fussed about using inners )

also has anyone had one several years how do they last if cared for and any maintenance other than keeping it stored dry?

i havent yet seen one up close apart from in use at the bushcraft show but didnt get to go inside as it was someones set up as opposed to being on sale. I did get to go in tentipis which i like but they seem alot of money...

finally do they stand well in the wind and how easy are they to erect?

thanks in advance for any answers from experienced users..

I have 4m bell tent with frontier stove in. I'd say it'd be tight with 2 double beds or 4 beds all the kit and a stove. Maybe get the 5m version? Only had the missus and me with our kit and didn't leave much room.

Easy to put up can do it yourself in less than 15mins once you get the hang if it. Had mine over a year now and as long as you dry it and pack it away clean it should last. We had canvas tents for years when I was in scouts and they lasted for years! Think its just a matter of looking after them.

In terms of being up to the weather I've not had anything too extreme.....kept us dry for week of rain in the lake district though lol.

They do turn heads though. Loads of interest in mine when I use it at normal camp sites.

Orric

ex-member BareThrills

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Dec 5, 2011
United Kingdom
Ive no experience with bell tents but you can get 4 camp beds and a stove in a Helport 8-10 kongsvold camp or 8-10 varanger camp with stove.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE