Few days out enjoying the sunshine. Archery and a long lost knife.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Ayup all,

Has been a while since I posted a few shots from a trip out. Lucky enough to get a few days woods time this weekend and the weather was lovely. Warm sunshine days and a cold nights which make the fire even more enjoyable.

The woodland is just starting to wake up which is very pleasing on the eye, add some sunshine and it was a welcome soul boost.
Ramsons, herb Robert, celandine, primrose and many more.

IMAG4467_zpsdce289cd.jpg

Blue-bells on the way
IMAG4543_zps6930c4bc.jpg

Dog mercury
IMAG4534_zps21f9fb63.jpg

Lime green moss, no idea of its name so pointers would be nice.
IMAG4531_zps06f9c223.jpg

Elf cups. Looks more like elf cups lined up on a bar, like finding the aftermath of a late night elf party. :)
IMAG4529_zps7accee70.jpg

Lots and lots of wind-fall. Worse I have ever seen in the woodland. Some of the Big old Dug Fir`s lost their tops plus lots of others fallen to the damp soils and high winds.

IMAG4512_zps0db0c297.jpg

Whilst wondering we found a Hare`s bolt hole. Looked much more flash in the flesh but you can see the outline.

IMAG4477_zps33764b06.jpg

IMAG4474_zps49cbc2fa.jpg

The secret life of an arrows flight is always nice to see in a still. As far as the archer experiences it all just goes nice and smooth. A few stills of the same arrow shows all sorts of contortions, stress and energy.
Arrows were tagged on tracks at about 240-250 yards.

Zoom in a little on the arrows.

IMAG4492_BURST007_zpse1795a11.jpg

IMAG4494_BURST005_zpsc3106175.jpg

IMAG4489_BURST008_zpsab0ad839.jpg

IMAG4487_BURST011_zpse06f2173.jpg

My kit for the weekend.
This is the first trip out for the Karrimore SF45 and I am very happy with it. Even carrying cold weather kit, toys and enough food for three people it was more than enough capacity with the side pockets. It is very comfy, back and waist padding works very well. Construction is bullet proof as you would imagine.

IMAG4538_zps095eb749.jpg

IMAG4526_zps63f1c169.jpg

And last but not least.....
About 18 months ago I lost my knife. I only had this knife for a few weeks and it vanished on he first outing. I was gutted to say the least I really was happy with this knife, weight, feel, the edge etc etc. I have never in my life-time lost a knife.
We searched high and low for it and gave up after several hours of searching, on many trips.

Well this weekend my nephew found it. Not two feet away from where we searched many, many many times. :confused:

Rob Evans please look away now if reading this.

I was under no illusion that a carbon blade knife, if left out through all seasons in a woodland known for its wetness, if ever found once again there would be very little left of it. :(

IMAG4550_zpsemwdbqk6.jpg

IMAG4554_zpswnewemaj.jpg

Last edited:

RE8ELD0G

Settler
Oct 3, 2012
Kettering
What is the pouch on the front of your pack and where did you get it.
Im looking for a nice big pouch to organise some small bits.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
Great trip, I love the arrow shots! I really enjoyed that! :)

Shame about the knife though.

Yup I was not a happy man,.

What is the pouch on the front of your pack and where did you get it.
Im looking for a nice big pouch to organise some small bits.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk

Sorry mate not a clue. I got it in a trade an age ago, or bought it from here. There are no marks or labels on it that I can see. It is very handy for the FAK, tools, repair kits, batteries etc.

looks good master bowyer.

really like the elf bar photo

sure you can rescue the knife........somehow

I will stick the fine belt on the sander later and give it a quick touch. There is some steel in there but there are also some very heavily pitted parts.

Hope you can rescue the knife. The moss, by the way, is Common Tamarisk Moss, Thuidium tamariscinum.

Thanks mate. Its a lovely delicate thing. Its amazing what strings up once there is a change in the canopy. Its a great name that too.

I am sure that knife can be restored to some extent.

Hope so, will keep this thread updated once I have had a play. Providing Rob doesnt come round and take it away from me as punishment.

robevs73

Maker
Sep 17, 2008
llanelli
My mate uses a cast iron frying pan that he found in a wall, all rusted and he cleaned it up and always cooks in it so a £150 knife should be worth the effort.

copper_head

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Feb 22, 2006
Hull
Looks like a great trip :D.

Ouch on the knife though. Hope it can be resurrected.

Uilleachan

Aug 14, 2013
Northwest Scotland
Now't wrong with that knife, don't put it anywhere near a belt sander, let it dry, dip it in oil for a couple of days, diesel is best, whilst still oily give it a knock or two on the spine to loosen the scale and then go over it with a bit of course emery paper, once the worst of the scale corrosion has been removed work through finer emery. Once it's clean-ish put it on a cheap/old course stone. Once cleaned up sharpen as normal. It'll come back fine, perhaps with a few pits, for added character.

O1 tool carbon is resilient stuff, 1mm of metal = 10 to 12mm of scale depending on the quality of the carbon steel. As there's almost no scale evident in the photo, metal loss will be minimal if noticeable at all.

Good find

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE