Ferro-Rod storage?

Forest fella

Jul 2, 2008
Gloucestershire
Hi, I'm trying to find out what's the best method for storing Ferro-Rods, As I've just had a look through some of my gear And a few of my fire steels have got a powdery coating of dust/Rust maybe on them, And some have started to rot.
any info welcomed.
Cheers

swright81076

Tinkerer
Apr 7, 2012
Castleford, West Yorkshire
I think it all depends on how often you use them. I have one in my pocket that's used almost daily (forest school). So doesn't get chance to rot. When not being used, it's in a cupboard with my knife.

I do have one in my fire kits though, that's in a sealed tin along with some tinder, and a lighter. there's one in my response pack (stays in the car) and one in to pocket of my Bergen.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
I have ones that have gone powdery.

Best bet is a little bit of ren wax.

Although I do have a little leather neck pouch for a firesteel as well. The one here, behind the axe.

[/IMG]

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
just keep them dry when you store them and if they are carried in a leather sheath/pouch/carrier or whatever, make certain that the leather is dry before you put them away for any length of time.

Overnight is okay if you use your kit regularly but the vast majority of folk who use these things, do so for leisure purposes, usually only at weekends.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE