Ferro rod cuts my thumb.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Dec 13, 2012
Kristiansand
Hi, every one, pretty new to this forum so apologies if I break any rules or ettiquette. Please tell me if I do.
Ok so I have a problem that I hope someone can help me with, for quite some time I have been using a ferro rod to light my fires. If I use the supplied striker all works well. Every time I try to use the back of my knife as seen in various dvd's etc I manage to light the fire but at the expense of a load of skin on my thumb. Somehow or other the edge of my knife cuts my thumb that holds the ferro rod not particularly deeply but enough that I wouldnt want to light many more fires:D. I have tried several different ways to do it but with little success. Hopefully someone out there will know what im doing wrong.
I have been using a mora knife and using the rear edge of the blade at the tip as you see ray mears doing.
Thanks in advance
Mat.

georann

Feb 13, 2010
Warwickshire
www.slice-of-fire.co.uk
Not entirely sure what you are doing, but heres my advice:
Use the mid section of the spine (back of the knife) not the tip
Hold the ferro rod at 45 degrees to the ground and the knife at 45 degrees to that, so that the blade is parallel with the ground and not pointing upwards
Put the spine on the rod before you scrape, rather than scraping through the air and on to the rod.

Just take your time, slow controlled and thick scrapes should do the trick
Goodluck
Dan

P.S. How about introducing yourself on the introductions board

S.C.M.

Nomad
Jul 4, 2012
Algarve, Portugal
Can we have a picture of you you hold the knife/ferro rod please? I think that either you are scraping your thumb on the tip of the knife, or the back of your blade is really, really sharp! But I can't be certain, because I'm not sure about how you do it. Georann's modifications to your technique should help you though!

Firelite

Forager
Feb 25, 2010
bedfordshire
Hi Dobbie and welcome. Just for clarity I believe the part of the knife Ray uses is the back of the blade where it begins to taper to the point. Dont run the knife down the whole length of the ferro rod, just the last centimetre or so. Try to ensure a twisting style flick at the end by rotating the wrist of the hand holding the knife. That way the positioning of the sparks will be accurate (with practice) and you only use the last cm of your ferro rod, so it will last for ages Also, most importantly, hold the knife by the handle. If this doesn't work for you, then just use the scraper that came with the ferro rod. That method used with skill and not hurting yourself is preferable to several muffed attempts and an injury. Good luck.

Squidders

Aug 3, 2004
Harrow, Middlesex
I have always used the striker personally, they tend to work well and come with most firesteels.

Just because someone did it on the telly, I see no way to use my knife for anything other than cutting.

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
This might help a little:
[video=youtube;GY5y76sfpyo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GY5y76sfpyo&list=UURdd L3mkjOvJ3tAtVHpW-XQ[/video]

This one might make it a little clearer;
[video=youtube;sgwYlGHZPlY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sgwYlGHZPlY&list=UURdd L3mkjOvJ3tAtVHpW-XQ[/video]

frankly, I think the practice of using a knife for scraping up tinder ( which can't do the edge any good) or using the spine for striking sparks from a firesteel are both tasks best avoided as potentially very hazardous.

The scrapers supplied with most firesteels are either; too small for easy handling, just redundant bits of saw blade or poorly designed tin stampings.

A large bladed, square edged scraper works well with fat wood/maya too;
[video=youtube;NifHdjscx64]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NifHdjscx64&list=UURdd L3mkjOvJ3tAtVHpW-XQ[/video]

I now carry my firesteel and scraper on my belt or round my neck and rarely need to use my knife in connection with firelighting at all

good luck and watch those fingers!

Steve

rancid badger

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Thank you Firelite:)

I think there is a lot of waffle talked about all sorts of things on youtube, not least fire lighting and "bushcraft" in general. I'm not one for dressing things up too much, just do it and film it while you're doing it, you don't need to talk at the camera at all in my opinion, unless of course you have the need to hear your own voice for some reason

Different ball game if your teaching or demonstrating of course, you have to have spoken dialogue then but I did the instruction thing for over 25 years on and off and I've done enough talking at and to, students, recruits, apprentices and just "folk" in general to last a lifetime:eek:

Anyway, the two in the snow were literally spur of the moment things, I was out there fiddling on and thought; "Why not?" while the others were a bit more thought out, though again, just set up and "go"

I honestly hope these clips help the odd person or two, if nothing else, at least from a safety point of view.

thanks again

Steve

Firelite

Forager
Feb 25, 2010
bedfordshire
On a course, as part of a test, I had to carve feather sticks and then light them using a ferrocerium rod and a knife (no other "tinder" and definitely no striker). Like any skill, its good to be able to do it, but overall I still prefer the striker.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE