ferrets.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

scouser4life

Tenderfoot
Oct 6, 2006
liverpool
thanks guys. One last question, i would like for my dog to get along with them. Shes an energetic staff, with a hard mouth for anything that moves, but she follows instructions(from me anyway :rolleyes: ) She's just a pet but she does enjoy it when i let her come along while shooting pigeons, crows etc and she will retrieve them. If i am just walking her and we see a rabbits she gives her all but shes a little slow :rolleyes:

So year buit of a life story there lol any tips to getting her friendly with the ferrets even when im not around?

scouser4life

Tenderfoot
Oct 6, 2006
liverpool
Lurch said:
I wouldn't consider leaving a ferret and a dog alone unattended myself, bit too much like tempting fate.
Basic training to get your dog not to treat a ferret like prey really.

Yeah, i wouldn't leave her alone, just incase say one of the ferrets escapes or while playing with them someone accidently lets her out :rolleyes:

tomtom

Dec 9, 2003
Sunny South Devon
Good thread Scouser.
I have wanted pole cats all my life as i have always felt an affiliation with these animals.
Can anyone tell what sort of thing you need to keep them, i.e. cages runs and how much spcae they need. And where should one look to purchase such an animal?!
Cheers
TT

scouser4life

Tenderfoot
Oct 6, 2006
liverpool
Tomtom, from what i understand, they are pretty much like dogs in the ways you purchase them. This beening from a breeder/owner not your local pet store. That said there your local pet store owner may know someone with a litter or f not allow you to place a small advert in the window. I don't personally know anyone who has ferrets, but a friend of my dads is into all that stuff and he said in augst if i wanted one a friend had just had a litter. So i guess i will be able to get two of him.

From what i was told they arent even sold like dogs, just given away freely. I suppose there isnt much demand for the little buggers.

If all has failed im pretty sure one of your local animal rescues may have some (RSPCA etc) but i think they would frowd upon using them for hunting.

This is my last last last question (i think) How old can you take the ferrets? Im pretty sure the breeder will know, but i would like to have the answers to all my ferrets needs before hand :)

John

Nice hutch faff, did you put the top floor on yourself or did it come like that?

faff

Tenderfoot
Nov 10, 2006
south wales
I made the top bit first then added the bottom later.you are right in what you say ferrets range in price from free to £10 most people are happy to give them away.

scouser4life

Tenderfoot
Oct 6, 2006
liverpool
I just thought i would post these link to for anyone who may be booking to also get ferrets. I found them very useful i hope you do too.

A nice chap who has pet ferrets and has working ferret experience with a friends.
http://www.17lbcod.fsnet.co.uk/index.html

Very good site, includes rabbit recipes, hunting with ferrets, skinning gutting etc, making purse nets and plenty of limnks and usful information
http://homepage.ntlworld.com/ferreter/index.htm

Enjoy! John

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
Hi Scouser

My suggestion is to get in touch with the ferret welfare society, get them to put you in touch with someone in your area that works ferrets and spend some time with them.

Don’t go out and buy ferrets just because you think you might like to go rabitin, ferrets are a 7 day a week commitment and the way our climate is changing you aint going to get a lot of sport. A good friend of mine hasn’t had a single day out this winter, to many young still about, rabbits don’t seem to have stopped breading in this area.

The ferret welfare society is always looking to home animals, there is plenty of choice and they will all have been handled.

Good luck.

faff

Tenderfoot
Nov 10, 2006
south wales
although there is no close season on rabbits it is common practice to let the young grow a little before season starts. I always use the rule don't hunt them any month that has the letter R in it

moocher

Mar 26, 2006
Dorset
also when rabbits have young in the burrrows the ferrets will kill the litter and then go to sleep in the rabbits nest,so you will have to dig down to them,not something you want to do every ferreting trip.plus a sleeping ferret isnt flushing rabbits.

Hunter_zero

Nomad
Jun 25, 2006
Wales
faff said:
although there is no close season on rabbits it is common practice to let the young grow a little before season starts. I always use the rule don't hunt them any month that has the letter R in it

That used to be a good rule but these days I'm picking Does in kit in december. :(

John

scouser4life

Tenderfoot
Oct 6, 2006
liverpool
Been looking for rabbit burrows today just to get a ruff idea and all i came across is grass covered holes, and a badgers den :eek: The undergroth was covered with what seemed to be networks on caved in tunnels. Is this due to rabbit or something else?

Will used burrows be have cleared holes or could they be cover by grass?

How can i tell used and old burrows apart?

John

Hunter_zero

Nomad
Jun 25, 2006
Wales
scouser4life said:
Been looking for rabbit burrows today just to get a ruff idea and all i came across is grass covered holes, and a badgers den :eek: The undergroth was covered with what seemed to be networks on caved in tunnels. Is this due to rabbit or something else?

Will used burrows be have cleared holes or could they be cover by grass?

How can i tell used and old burrows apart?

John

Best thing to do is keep an eye on 'your' land. You'll see rabbits near the buries if they are active. You'll find fresh droppings, well worn runs etc etc.
If the entrances has cob webs then you know they haven't been used, you gota put 2 + 2 and come up with between 3 and 5. If your right, you will bolt rabbits, if you close you might bolt rabbits, if your wrong and we *all* get it wrong now and often, you'll not bolt rabbits. You might find what seems to be an excellent bury, only to find nothing bolts. Could be that a weasel has been about, could be that the bury was ferreted yesterday, who knows.
Like all forms of hunting, nothing is ever guaranteed and if it can go completely wrong it will.
As a beginner, I would look for small, easy to ferret buries and give it ago.

John

scouser4life

Tenderfoot
Oct 6, 2006
liverpool
The way the land i hunt is set out makes it very differcult Its a vast open field at one end with tree lines running up each side. towards the back is where i do my hunting as its more closed. There is a area of long grass and undergroth around here too, but this just leads to more trees and this is where i found the holes.

The rabbits just dissapear into the trees and i am unable to follow them becuase there are no tracks due to no grass etc in the bushland.

Hunter_zero

Nomad
Jun 25, 2006
Wales
scouser4life said:
The way the land i hunt is set out makes it very differcult Its a vast open field at one end with tree lines running up each side. towards the back is where i do my hunting as its more closed. There is a area of long grass and undergroth around here too, but this just leads to more trees and this is where i found the holes.

The rabbits just dissapear into the trees and i am unable to follow them becuase there are no tracks due to no grass etc in the bushland.

With the warm winters, rabbits don't always live under ground.

I have found many very good woodland buries, empty but dog the wood and there are many rabbits at all times of the day.

Tiss very hard to advise you, it's the sort of thing you need to see or at least to be accurate in any form of judgment.

My advice normally would be to ferret the buries and see, but I would be worried if the buries are damaged and obviously empty, especially if they run in to dens.
Could be that a badger will much your ferret :)

John

pothunter

Settler
Jun 6, 2006
Wyre Forest Worcestershire
Hi Scouser

As a beginner the last thing you need is ferrets killing underground and laying-up and they will if there are young about.

Don’t under any circumstances muzzle ferrets, it can’t protect itself from rats etc. and if you lose it, it will starve to death.

As Hunter Zero suggested you really need to go out with an experienced ferreter a whole season if you can. If you only have a small area of ground a good days ferreting will clean this very quickly and you will have no more sport until the population recovers.

I used to have good fun with a big old hob polecat ferret, Percy the worlds laziest ferret. No nets etc. quietly enter Percy up wind to allow the scent to go before him, stand on top of the bury and shoot going away rabbits.

I found that a hob was happy to live alone so long as he had plenty of contact with people, used to take him to the pub where he would sit on the bar and eat crisps. Happy days.

Try golf courses, caravan parks etc. places where g#ns are not appreciated for extra ground if you take it further.

Happy hunting, Pothunter.

scouser4life

Tenderfoot
Oct 6, 2006
liverpool
Well i have made a post on agsbbs but the closest person to me that has offered to take me along is 70 miles away :O I've still got hope and i am wondering if there is any ferreters liing near meseryside willing to take me along?

John

scouser4life

Tenderfoot
Oct 6, 2006
liverpool
Will the ferrets be able to eat pigeons/ crows/magpies etc raw? I read they would do this in the wild but im not sure becuase all the bactiria in a birds blood.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE