Fenix L1D or Nitecore D10

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Just a quick thanks to all who'v contributed their views in this thread as it has lead to my purchasing a Nitecore D10 - absolutely excellent !! :D

I must also mention the superb service I have received from Anthony at Flashaholics, who also supplied me with a pen-clip (newly in stock for the D10) and a Fenix L1D Holster (which he had spare - but fits the D10 like a glove). I placed my order on Friday and was a very satisfied customer when I received the package on Saturday morning.

I have subsequently had the chance to really put it through it's paces, and it certainly meets all my needs. The Osram Golden Dragon LED produces an uninterrupted brilliant light pattern, which is good for close up and reasonable distance work. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone, now a firm part of my edc.

(No links to Flashaholics, just a very satisfied customer.)

littlebiglane

Native
May 30, 2007
Nr Dartmoor, Devon
Just a quick thanks to all who'v contributed their views in this thread as it has lead to my purchasing a Nitecore D10 - absolutely excellent !! :D

I must also mention the superb service I have received from Anthony at Flashaholics, who also supplied me with a pen-clip (newly in stock for the D10) and a Fenix L1D Holster (which he had spare - but fits the D10 like a glove). I placed my order on Friday and was a very satisfied customer when I received the package on Saturday morning.

I have subsequently had the chance to really put it through it's paces, and it certainly meets all my needs. The Osram Golden Dragon LED produces an uninterrupted brilliant light pattern, which is good for close up and reasonable distance work. I'd definitely recommend it to anyone, now a firm part of my edc.

(No links to Flashaholics, just a very satisfied customer.)

I would agree with you about the Nitecore D10 - it is a great, great piece of kit for the money. I have a Nite-ize headband to convert it into a headtorch. Anthony gives good service too. I might do a review of it one of these days :sigh:.

LBL

I would agree with you about the Nitecore D10 - it is a great, great piece of kit for the money. I have a Nite-ize headband to convert it into a headtorch. Anthony gives good service too. I might do a review of it one of these days :sigh:.

LBL

I have one of those Nite-ize headbands somewhere, I used to use it with my mini-maglite...

I think I may have to go & dig it out - thanks for reminding me !! :rolleyes:

Martyn

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I still prefer the NDI to the D10. The D10 looks nicer, but the user interface of the NDI is more positive. I carried the D10 for ages, but on too many occasions, I just couldn't figure out what mode it was in, or what mode it was going to be in, or why it had suddenly gone dim. The NDI by comparison, inspires a lot more confidence.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
I've been using the Nitecore Extreme recently in Ethiopia, well made, very very bright, seems to work well for keeping the hyenas at bay:

P1010221.jpg

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Stu, you post the coolest pics mate. Good one. :)

Thanks Martyn

Alternatively, if you prefer your hyenas close up, the suitable application of bait can bring them as close as you like (I dont recommend this):

P1010200.jpg

Any problems getting cr123a's in Ethiopia?

Yes, it’s almost impossible, so I took 2 extra cells with me, though I didn’t use them in the end, the one in the torch lasted two weeks comfortably. On the highest setting its so bright the scatter-back can be blinding, so I used a lower setting the majority of the time, except when hyenas were prowling around or I wanted to scare off a dodgy looking brother tailing me through the streets of Addis Ababa at night.

I plan on fitting the head of the extreme to the body of an old Surefire E2D, I understand that they are compatible.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
I plan on fitting the head of the extreme to the body of an old Surefire E2D, I understand that they are compatible.

I believe so, you should get an everso slightly brighter output (200 lumens instead of the 180 lumens you are getting now), but the runtime should be much longer and you'll benefit from a better made clicky tailcap, if your surefire is fitted with one. The downside is the cost and availability of the cr123 batteries. You should consider getting rechargeables. AW are the best, but they are a bit pricey (£12 for 2 batteries). Ultrafire make a very good charger than can also run from the 12v lighter socket from a vehicle.

Though to be honest, with all the back & beyond places you go to, I think I would be taking an NDI instead, same build quality, lower lumens at ~130ish but still very bright, but it'll run for just as long off a single AA and they are everywhere.

Stuart

Sep 12, 2003
Yes Li-ion rechargeables are definitely part of the plan and if I can find one to fit, perhaps a GID tail cap to complete the setup.

Can you put a 18650 cell in a torch body designed to hold two CR123's?

I would of course prefer it to run on AA's for travel, as all my other equipment and solar charging apparatus is set up for AA batteries.

Though to be honest, with all the back & beyond places you go to, I think I would be taking an NDI instead, same build quality, lower lumens at ~130ish but still very bright, but it'll run for just as long off a single AA and they are everywhere.

I use a zebralight H50 for 97% of all my travel lighting needs, its very practical and runs on a single AA. I only carry the extreme because past experience has instilled a belief in the ability of very bright touches to defuse risky situations with nefarious people, and because occasionally it’s useful to be able to shine as much light as possible at far off places. Some times, in these situations, I just want as much light as possible.

Martyn

Aug 7, 2003
staffordshire
www.britishblades.com
Yes Li-ion rechargeables are definitely part of the plan and if I can find one to fit, perhaps a GID tail cap to complete the setup.
Doable on the Nitecore stock body, but tricky on a surefire. Drop me a PM with your addy and I'll send you a GITD tailcap that will fit. ;)

Can you put a 18650 cell in a torch body designed to hold two CR123's?
No, they are the right length, but the 18650 cell is too fat. ;)

I would of course prefer it to run on AA's for travel, as all my other equipment and solar charging apparatus is set up for AA batteries.

I use a zebralight H50 for 97% of all my travel lighting needs, its very practical and runs on a single AA. I only carry the extreme because past experience has instilled a belief in the ability of very bright touches to defuse risky situations with nefarious people, and because occasionally it’s useful to be able to shine as much light as possible at far off places. Some times, in these situations, I just want as much light as possible.
Yep, fair point. It'll do that in a very small package.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE