Felt Boots?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Bumbler

Nomad
Feb 22, 2013
Norway
www.bushcraft.no
Thanks will check those links out sounds good!

Im thinking felt boots are the way to go, but want a fallback option for when i come across a road or the weather picks up, basically just something to put over them to protect the felt. Those valenski boots i posted with the rubber shoe part look great but the shoe part has a large heel and arch and would murder my feet so im thinking of these as overboots to go over the felt? they look flat soled. any thoughts on these mukluks to go over felt boots?

Norwegian army over boots :)

fotposer.jpg

They are made of canvas and the bottom part is rubberized to keep water out. I use them on every outing in the winter over my ski or leather boots to keep the snof off. The rubberized part also have a thin felt on the inside. And they really help keeping feet warm in normal hiking boots.
They would be perfect for your purpose...so perfect that I strart to want pair of felt boots myself, having just had the idea :)

Bumbler

Nomad
Feb 22, 2013
Norway
www.bushcraft.no
Those look great. what are the soles like though? because i can only wear boots/shoes with flat soles hence the uk mukluks as they look flat.

Flat as a ball room floor. But pricy I am afraid...

Buy them here. They list two here. The top ones are used for 250 NOK (28£) or new for 395NOK (45£)

To purchase just drop them an email first. They will be able to answer in English.

http://www.mamut.net/controls/shop/shops/5/main.asp?wwwalias=Army123&gid=45

Important...get them a size or two larger than your boot size. I.e if you wear size 43 you need size 44

Last edited:

Dreadhead

Bushcrafter through and through
thanks for the great information there will look into those links Bumbler!

This is getting put on hold for now. been gearing up to finally go to norway in september but now looks like i need more surgery so not looking too hopeful

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
The "Nesnalobben" is actually good footwear for cold weather.
Below is a picture taken on a lake at Saltfjellet. The shoes functioned very good, although the temperature was only about -11 degrees celsius.
Just make sure they are big enough to move your feet inside, even with heavy wool socks.

vinterkl%e6r.JPG-for-web-large.jpg

RonW
The norwegian army overboot is made to fit the norwegian M77 boots and may not fit other types of boots. I`ve used these boots with felt inners when ice fishing and they are very warm, but don`t give much support when walking (but that isn`t really an issue when fishing).

rg598

Native
Since you are still thinking about it, I thought I would put in my two cents. I would be very careful with this type of boot design. We often say that a particular boot is good at temperatures below -10, or whatever, but that is almost never the reality when you are out in the woods. The temperature might be -20 in one area, and then to miles away, in an exposed location with the sun beating down, it can be +10. Also, it may be -10, but you start climbing up hill, you warm up, your feet start producing more heat, and now the snow that was on top of your boots starts to melt. The reality is never as neat as the theory. That's why most modern versions of this type of boot have shells. In my experience, a boot with a good shell, and a vapor barrier liner is hard to beat.

By the way, how would you use crampons with a flexible boot like that? Is there any particular type you like to use?

Dreadhead

Since you are still thinking about it, I thought I would put in my two cents. I would be very careful with this type of boot design. We often say that a particular boot is good at temperatures below -10, or whatever, but that is almost never the reality when you are out in the woods. The temperature might be -20 in one area, and then to miles away, in an exposed location with the sun beating down, it can be +10. Also, it may be -10, but you start climbing up hill, you warm up, your feet start producing more heat, and now the snow that was on top of your boots starts to melt. The reality is never as neat as the theory. That's why most modern versions of this type of boot have shells. In my experience, a boot with a good shell, and a vapor barrier liner is hard to beat.

By the way, how would you use crampons with a flexible boot like that? Is there any particular type you like to use?

some great points there Ross. I thinks the temperature changes are the reason for taking overboots and keeping them in my pack for when the temp rises.

Crampons i am not sure about it has been years since i used any so i will need to shop around and see what i can get cheap

Dreadhead

Thought i would ressurect this thread as i finally sorted my boots out!

In the end i bought a pair of Russian Valenki boots which feel pretty bomb proof. They are around 1cm thick, and HUGE! i ordered a size larger to allow for shrinkage when they get wet but really did not expect this size.

And to protect them whilst walking through woods or along a road i made some traditional scottish courrans to protect the wool

Here is a picture, though it is hard to tell the scale. they cover my knees, and could fit both my feet in one if i tried i reckon. So i think i will cut a few inches off the top and try and shrink them a little if possible?

tdam.jpg

treadlightly

Jan 29, 2007
Powys
Of course, that is the answer, brilliant. Where did you get the valenki Hamish? Also, how comfortable are they to walk about in?

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE