felling axe

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

brickie58

Feb 8, 2014
pembs
hi im looking for a felling axe any ideas much appreciated, have seen a council double bit on fleabay Michigan pattern anyone seen or used one ?thanks.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Do you know how to carve a replacement helve when you need one? Its hard to find double bit helves in the UK. The axe also looks like you will have to reprofile it.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Its the leverage when you have that head at the end of a 3 foot helve then at arms length. An extra pound is huge. Up and down splitting is easy. Lateral felling is totally different. I use a GB working axe. Anything heavier in a lateral motion would exhaust me.

Dave

Hill Dweller
Sep 17, 2003
Brigantia
Thats a monster. I have the Gransfors Scandinavian which is about half that. :)

:)....he asked for a felling axe.

Ive got a hultafors which is about the same weight as your gransfors. But for felling a bigger tree id use my grandfathers old 4.5lb elwell........because its what Ive got in the garage.

brickie58

Feb 8, 2014
pembs
Thanks for the answers I am looking for something about 3.5lb no heavier I've got various other axes for splitting,limbing etc have tried heavier axes over the years for felling but find the 3.5lb range to be better I do like the look of the double bit though.

brickie58

Feb 8, 2014
pembs
hi yes good axe, got the smaller version, the only gripe with the one on ebay, handle is a bit short for me as im a long bugger. I suppose I could fit a longer one myself might do that as I do like the hultafors axes, thanks to all again
Pound for pound hultafors take some beating

I use this one for work

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hultafors...t=UK_Hand_Tools_Equipment&hash=item20e02b915e

It needed a little edge work and it was just smidge heavier than I wanted for the task.
But a bit of file work and some judicious Trimming brought the edge up and the weight down to just where I wanted

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE