Feedback for Quilts. Please.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
Well they have all gone out now, bar 3 that I am taking to Middlewood with me.
So once you have used them if you could let me have your opinions, good or heaven forbid, bad on here.
Thank you.

Neanderthal

Dec 2, 2004
Cheshire
Tested on Friday and Saturday night over near Scarborough.

Very Snugley and good compression when in the stuff sack, lofts well in use.. :)

Friday night was clear skies but don't know what the temperature was.

Strange thing. Lots of whitish static in the fabric when I ran my fingers over the outer cover. Wierd but Cool. :)

Rolls down hill very well when compressed in the sack. :eek:

Stu

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I found mine was very warm.Kept me lovely and snuggly even after I dozed off and the fire went out. So warm in fact that I didn't bother to re-light it.

I just snuggled in deeper, watched the end of the film and went upstairs to bed :eek:

Red

mayfly

Life Member
May 25, 2005
Switzerland
Tried mine this w/e in the garden for a couple of hours. Pretty cold. Used with group buy hammock and your underblanket. Was toasty warm, if anything too warm. Can't fault the design. Tuck-under flaps worked well. Simplicity is king. I really like this bit of kit, very versatile, far superior in a hammock to a sleeping bag IMO. BIG thanks for sorting this. Much appreciated.

oetzi

Settler
Apr 25, 2005
below Frankenstein castle
I havent tested it outside yet, bad health and high humidity forbidding it.
It is, however, in continuous use a warm blanket on the couch at home.
Soft, snugly, warm, sized perfect.
Excellent!!!

andy_e

Native
Aug 22, 2007
Scotland
Sorry I missed you at Middlewood Ian, Matt said you'd been and gone by the time I arrived. Mine got a good testing, though I did add my own homemade under it as a weather-shield when the rain started heaving down about 5am on Sunday morning, was still toasty just didn't want it getting wet.

Dingo

Nomad
Jan 7, 2005
leicestershire
unfortunately, every time i plan to get out something crops up! its getting ridiculous i am getting withdrawal symptoms, i have a quilt and the hex fly to test, really need to get out, maybe this week end when everyone is gearing up for the new year.

will post in this thread once i escape!

Adam.

thingswelike

Forager
Jun 15, 2007
Peak District
It's taken me this long to use my quilt, but I have to say it's the best thing ever!
I know it's summer and warm, but I can't believe how long I've been suffering using restrictive sleeping bags.
For this first test I was using it on the ground with a thermarest underneath me and a really thin sleeping bag on top of the mat. I had the foot area of the sleeping bag zipped up to make a footbox and I slipped the footbox of the quilt over this. The two stayed together even though I'm usually moving about a bit in the night.
The quilt is big enough to mean no cold spots and yet I was able to use my typical 'limbs out' sleeping style without a problem.
When weight isn't a problem, this will be my preferred sleeping arrangement from now on. I don't think I've ever had a more comfortable night's sleep on the ground!

I'll try it in a hammock at the moot. Still not tried the underblanket :(

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
I bet you all thought I had forgotten the Quilts didn't you. Well I sold 34 and have received 5 feedbacks. Plus IIRC Woodland Edge sold 10.
Hopefully you should have all had chance to use them by now. So come on folks tell me what you think. After all, I put all the effort into doing the Group Buy and posting them all out.
Just a few words will do.:)

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
Well, if the majority can't be bothered giving feedback. It makes me think again about doing anymore Group Buys.
Feedback enables me to improve the products. No feedback, no improvement. I am very dissapointed.

thingswelike

Forager
Jun 15, 2007
Peak District
I know what you mean Ian. Have you put a post in the original group buy thread? Everyone who bought will be subscribed to that thread and may get an email. That might help.
They may not be aware of this thread.

Glen

Life Member
Oct 16, 2005
London
I hadn't tried it out in anger when the original thread was running and had forgotten about given any feedback. It's only just got cold enough this year to start thinkng about me using it again, mainly as the underquilt is so good I've tended to just use my smaller/lighter/less warm Nomad tropical quilt as a top quilt.

I think it was said before but I don't think the wings really need insulation in them, the quilt is plenty wide enough that that seems a little redundant. Having said that I'm exactly a big bloke when it comes to width others may find them indespensible soprobably best to go by others comments rather than mine in that dept.

What might be worth doing is having the first foot or so of the footbox insulated just so the bony parts of the ankles ( which have blood vessles near the surface with little natural insulation ) are covered and have some insulation pushing up under that natural arch, I've contemplated taking of one of the side wings and sewing it there for this reason.
Though, again, this may just be me slipping further down into the hammock and that I'd hung the underquilt without taking the outside line over a ridge so it may have had more draft there than it would if I'd read you underquilt hanging thread more carefully.

wanderinstar

On a new journey
Jun 14, 2005
Yorkshire/Lancs Border
Cheers for that Glen. That is what I am looking for . Regarding the wings. I enquired about having them without insulation, but there was no reduction in cost. So I thought it better to keep them on. As regards the foot bucket, I to thought after using mine a time or two that it could do with being say.6" deeper. What does anyone else think?

thingswelike

Forager
Jun 15, 2007
Peak District
Cheers for that Glen. That is what I anmlooking for . Regarding the wings. I enquired about having them without insulation, but there was no reduction in cost. So I thought it better to keep them on. As regards the foot bucket, I to thought after using mine a time or two that it could do with being say.6" deeper. What does anyone else think?

I agree that a bit longer is good - at the moment it almost folds open when the lip of the flap is forced (if you see what I mean). I can't really see a downside except a tad more weight.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE