February ice fishing weekend

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
The last weekend of February four of us ventured out for a weekend of ice fishing and grouse hunting.
The area of operation was around and on Kjemåvatn on Saltfjellet (Salt mountain), just above the Arctic circle.
The distance from the car was mere two kilometers uphill, but that was enough to remind me why I dislike skiing. Being in bad shape doesn`t help either:).
I soon discovered that my choise of skis also was a bad one. Heavy military glass fibre skis from Åsnes (not issued as far as I know) is better when lining after a snow mobile.

33398075.jpg

We had rented a cabin from the local game and fish "club". The cabin was nice although a little cold when we arrived. Temperature indoors was -5 degrees celsius. But after firing up the oven it soon got inhabitable temperature.

33397829.jpg

33397838.jpg

The evening was spent eating my delicius moose stew and nipping a little aquavitae and scotch. And the usual stories about big fish and lots of game.
Saturday morning we wake up to really lovely weather. Temperature was about -10 degrees and everything promised a fine day on the ice.

33397845.jpg

33397859.jpg

Sadly the fish didn`t think the weather was good enough as they didn`t show up. At least the big ones stayed at home.
We actually got plenty of fish but most of them was the size of sardines.
I only got two fishes that was worth taking.

33398100.jpg

The two of us that was out hunting didn`t have any more luck, and total grouses in their backpacks after two days of hunting was zero.
But still we had a great time out. Both the hunters and the fishermens.

33397875.jpg

33397818.jpg

Thanks for watching.

Tor

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Great post and pics Tor, looks a stunning place to be for a few days.

Are Norwegians allowed to dislike skiing ? :)

The Cumbrian

Nov 10, 2007
The Rainy Side of the Lakes.
Beautiful looking place Tor.

I saw a few people ice fishing in Sweden. They weren't catching anything either, but they seemed to be happy enough to be outside, sat around a hole in the ice.

Cheers, Michael.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE