Feather sticks.

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Forager
Sep 25, 2013
Scotland
www.instagram.com
Has anyone else noticed the sheer amount of bushcrafters who are giving advice on the subject, that are just terrible at making feather sticks? I've seen it many times on YouTube when the "expert" in question is maybe a knife reviewer, but more recently I've been seeing it on bushcraft dedicated videos. I understand that every attempt doesn't need to be a work of art, and that if it works it works, but some of these folk are just digging into wood at a 45 degree angle and calling it done! I've even seen a few do this and then claiming that a particular knife or steel feathersticks perfectly! Anyway, sorry for the rant. It just makes me chuckle.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Brynglas

I agree. Similarly, whilst I think that it's generally a good thing that there are lots of resources out there dedicated to bushcraft skills, it's apparent that the experience of many of those who are creating the content is limited, (And that's me being polite).

With the volume of content that's available nowadays it's increasingly incumbent on the viewer to decide for themselves as to the quality of the information and weed out those chancers who publish rubbish.

Sent from my SM-T819 using Tapatalk

Forager
Sep 25, 2013
Scotland
www.instagram.com
I agree. Similarly, whilst I think that it's generally a good thing that there are lots of resources out there dedicated to bushcraft skills, it's apparent that the experience of many of those who are creating the content is limited, (And that's me being polite).

With the volume of content that's available nowadays it's increasingly incumbent on the viewer to decide for themselves as to the quality of the information and weed out those chancers who publish rubbish.

Sent from my SM-T819 using Tapatalk
Yes! It just irritates me somewhat. Another thing that I don't understand is the obsession with Ferro rods. I carry and use them, and they're great reliable things to have, but I guess it's not really my idea of bushcraft. I like knowing that if I survived a plane crash in the woods or ended up a survivor in some sort of ridiculous apocalyptic scenario, I could have a good bash at staying not just alive, but comfortable. I don't see myself happening on a Ferro rod in these cases. It just seems odd to me that it's become the go to firelighting method for something that I consider to be more knowledge based than gear based. Just use a lighter at that point. On the other hand I wouldn't happen upon a 400 quid knife or a gransfors axe either so maybe I should just shut up ;)

5teep

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2017
Scotland
That would be a video worth watching. Making utensils and tools out of whatever is around you (bits of crashed aircraft e.g.) and using them to do the needful.

Ruud

Jun 29, 2012
Belgium
www.rudecheers.wordpress.com
One YT-channel in particular creates beautiful video's with top notch camera's and editing, but the show of skills performed in said video's are just poor. Lighting birchbark with a ferro-rod (ferro-rod of their own make that they sell) took ages, setting up a new tarp (donated by a big firm) took ages, and, to stay on-topic, making feathersticks with all kinds of different grinds, failing at all of them. After the actual video he showed some photo's of feathersticks that were decent. Once said something about a 'mistake' he made, never doing that again... (he explained the adjustable guy line-knot and kept pulling the peg out of the ground to adjust tension)

Point is, his words are taken very seriously by thousands of subscribers which is kind of sad. Some down to earth guys who will never be featured in a video do all those things quick and nice and tidy.

Forager
Sep 25, 2013
Scotland
www.instagram.com
One YT-channel in particular creates beautiful video's with top notch camera's and editing, but the show of skills performed in said video's are just poor. Lighting birchbark with a ferro-rod (ferro-rod of their own make that they sell) took ages, setting up a new tarp (donated by a big firm) took ages, and, to stay on-topic, making feathersticks with all kinds of different grinds, failing at all of them. After the actual video he showed some photo's of feathersticks that were decent. Once said something about a 'mistake' he made, never doing that again... (he explained the adjustable guy line-knot and kept pulling the peg out of the ground to adjust tension)

Point is, his words are taken very seriously by thousands of subscribers which is kind of sad. Some down to earth guys who will never be featured in a video do all those things quick and nice and tidy.
I'm glad I'm not the only one. I feel like sometimes folk might think I'm just being negative for the sake of it!

Feather sticks - now theres a thing.

We had a guy on a trip a few years back and he showed us how to do a feather stick and proceeded to tell us that it was an 'injun' trick. Well now there's a thing. Been an 'injun' all my life and almost all of it in the bush I never seen any 'injun' up here least ways use a feather stick. All we generally need to do is pull of a bitty bit of birch and it'll light good even in the rain and snow. :rolleyes:

Lacijag1

Forager

is it prepared mind 101?

the feather sticks that i see often on yt videos are usually not thin enough to catch a spark from a fire steel, they need hep with a birch bark or a cotton ball.

crosslandkelly

A somewhat settled
Jun 9, 2009
North West London
Just to be fair, there are a lot of very good YT videos out there as well. It does mean sorting through the chaff, but they are there.

How many of us have also failed to do something simple, when trying to show someone how simple it is. Murphy's law comes to mind.

mowerman

Aug 23, 2015
Shropshire
That would be a video worth watching. Making utensils and tools out of whatever is around you (bits of crashed aircraft e.g.) and using them to do the needful.

That would be brilliant. We all have to make do without bits and pieces and improvise from time to time and to see how others do it would be absolutely brilliant. What a great idea 👍

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
Feather sticks - now theres a thing.

We had a guy on a trip a few years back and he showed us how to do a feather stick and proceeded to tell us that it was an 'injun' trick. Well now there's a thing. Been an 'injun' all my life and almost all of it in the bush I never seen any 'injun' up here least ways use a feather stick. All we generally need to do is pull of a bitty bit of birch and it'll light good even in the rain and snow. :rolleyes:

Suppose that's the difference between knowing how to deal with wood and make a fire, and knowing a certain process. I always favour evergreens that have sap content, birch is ok but the layer is very thin, pine needles bark and wood is superb. Fire sticks are ok but they are work.

Jul 30, 2012
westmidlands
is it prepared mind 101?

the feather sticks that i see often on yt videos are usually not thin enough to catch a spark from a fire steel, they need hep with a birch bark or a cotton ball.

I don't mind but a cotton ball or a bit of birch bark is no replacement for prepared tinder, weather is a great variance upon how easy your fire is too light. Rain and wind have a terrible ipedance upon fire.

Lacijag1

Forager
I don't mind but a cotton ball or a bit of birch bark is no replacement for prepared tinder, weather is a great variance upon how easy your fire is too light. Rain and wind have a terrible ipedance upon fire.

I don't mind them either, i use birch bark all the time.
What i meant was some of those feather stick experts couldn't start a fire with their feather sticks without a help of other kindling material.

Forager
Sep 25, 2013
Scotland
www.instagram.com
No, but quite funny you seem to recognize the things I've said.
Won't name the channel as not to slander them but the host adresses the viewers with 'Turtles'.
Haha "What's up Turtles?" Yeah not the best. I actually thought you were talking about MCQ at first!

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE