Feather ID

  • The awesome MakerMoot is coming up (13-15th Nov 2026), Visit the TORM & ARM markets,and have space back at camp to work on projects and enjoy great company. PLEASE CLICK HERE for more information.
Found this at work today. Any ideas who it might have belonged to?

Nice feather and I feel I should know it but can't place it for the moment. I'll have a browse later but have a look here:
 
  • Like
Reactions: William_Montgomery
I've had a good look through the resources I have, and on the database, and the closest I can come up with is the rare rufous form of Cuckoo (Cuculus canorus) as Slowworm suggested. That's a really good find if it is and it would be worth getting confirmation. I've never seen a rufous cuckoo so, if they are in your area, it may be worth looking out for them next April (though there may be a few cuckoos still around).
 
  • Like
Reactions: William_Montgomery
I've had a good look through the resources I have, and on the database, and the closest I can come up with is the rare rufous form of Cuckoo (Cuculus canorus) as Slowworm suggested. That's a really good find if it is and it would be worth getting confirmation. I've never seen a rufous cuckoo so, if they are in your area, it may be worth looking out for them next April (though there may be a few cuckoos still around).
Thanks, Broch. Appreciate your detective work on that.
I've heard many, but never managed to lay eyes on a cuckoo..... at least now I've seen a bit of one.
 
all young cuckoos are rufous
Most sources do not agree but say that the plumage can vary a lot, apparently though more young ones are rufous than adult ones. I did find some pics when looking for "young cuckoo" that show wing feathers quite like the original pic.
 
Mmm... according to my sources (county bird recorder et al) young cuckoos are slightly 'rufous' in having brown parts on the wings but not normally to the extent in the photo. However, I accept it could be; we'll probably never know :)
 

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE