Favourite type of sausage

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Nice65

Brilliant!
Apr 16, 2009
W.Sussex
The demise of the Porkinson Banger, as a generally available sausage, was a sad day for the sausage industry. Even Heston Blumenthal voted it the best.

I'm settled on Porky Whites and Black Farmer at the moment, but neither are a Porkinson.

Quixoticgeek

Aug 4, 2013
Europe
It's strange, you often never really appreciate something until you don't have it any more. When I lived in the Netherlands I really missed a proper British banger. Sure you can get something Sausage shaped from AH, or from the Butchers, but it just wasn't the same as proper British banger. There's a joke among the expats. The best sausages come from yorkshire, the wurst come from the Netherlands. (Wurst in Dutch is pronounced the same as worst in English). It's not entirely true, there are some good Wurst in the Netherlands, but they are not the same.

So, necessity being the mother of invention and all that. I taught myself how to make sausages. With a couple of books by Hugh Fernley-whatsamacallit, and his pig in a day dvd for guidance, managed to make something that looked like a sausage, and tastes like a sausage. I doubt I'd win any awards for them, but I was pleased with what I made. Eventually myself and a few expats would get together for sausage making parties, we'd all chip in for the ingredients, and make a large batch that we would then share among our number... How expats in countries where you can't get pork cope...

Sausages.jpg

Sausages2.jpg

As for which seasoning? My local butchers here in Kent makes some rather nice bangers labelled "romany sausage", not sure what's in them. I'm also a fan of the Lincolnshire sausage.

J

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
The susages made from the pigs we rear at the Care Farm I work at are the best - not just for flavour but also for what they represent :)

Muddypaws

Jan 23, 2009
Southampton
I'm not Scottish, but I really like Lorne sausage, so I look forward to getting some whenever I visit Scotland. Bought from the butchers in Dingwall, I prefer them with quite a coarse texture.

HillBill

Bushcrafter through and through
Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
"Yorkshire" sausage from the farmshop....had them before... very good! Also, some of their home smoked bacon.... Awesome.

Last edited:

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
I'm allowed a Yorkshire breakfast once or twice a month. :D.... (full english in a giant yorkshire pudding)

HillBill

Oct 1, 2008
W. Yorkshire
Easterners to you lad..... lol.... still, at least you aint Lancashire... thats one thing you've got going for you :D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE