Favourite Schraftin book

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

CLEM

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 10, 2004
Stourbridge
I’am sure like most others here I have quite a collection of books on our favourite subject, maybe a modest one compared to some but a collection all the same. Now I know it’s not exactly strictly a Bushcraft book but the first book I bought back in 85/86 is still my favourite and that’s Ole Loftys famous SAS Survival Guide, I read the pages off that thing as a teen. Happy days :)
From your personal libraries what is your personal favourite book?

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk
'Make and do the Woodcraft Way' by J.G.Cone (Eagleye)

That was the book that I had as a child and inspired me to 'just be' outdoors. It covers camping, camp crafts and gadgets, tracking, camp cooking, leatherwork, making clothing from blankets ..... and lots more in a relatively small book.

I still have my 1942 second edition.

Reactions: Van-Wild and CLEM

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
'Make and do the Woodcraft Way' by J.G.Cone (Eagleye)

That was the book that I had as a child and inspired me to 'just be' outdoors. It covers camping, camp crafts and gadgets, tracking, camp cooking, leatherwork, making clothing from blankets ..... and lots more in a relatively small book.

I still have my 1942 second edition.
Never heard of it. Just ordered it off Amazon Kindle. Cheers @Broch

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Reactions: CLEM

Van-Wild

Feb 17, 2018
UK
Do most consider Loftys book as a Bushcrafting book?
I didn't. I remember having a little pocket copy of it as a lad. Even spent a night or two in shelters of loftys designs. Some interesting knowledge in there, a lot of it relevant to bushcraft but it was very much focused on survival, ie: make it home. The clue was in the title I suppose. It definitely attracted me as a kid.

It was military focussed and I loved it.

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Reactions: CLEM

Redhand Jack

Tenderfoot
Jan 25, 2021
Devon
Not exactly bushcraft, more woodsmanship, but I found Ben Law's Woodland Year a great read, his conversational style is easy to read and his depth of passion and knowledge for his way of life is really refreshing - I'll be ordering his Woodland Way and Woodland Workshop books soon..

As a kid I remember spending several summers out playing in the woods behind our house with Lofty's SAS survival guide - good times
I also remember my dad finding one of his books much the worse for wear several years later and being none too impressed - that wasn't so fun

Reactions: Dougster and CLEM

Broch

Life Member
Jan 18, 2009
Mid Wales
www.mont-hmg.co.uk

+1 for that; it's an interesting book with a lot of information with a different perspective from your standard 'wilderness craft' books.

Reactions: TeeDee

Paul_B

Bushcrafter through and through
Jul 14, 2008
Cumbria
Not bushcraft but I find a useful outdoors book is Langmuir's book, the one about mountain leadership for the ML course. I'm more outdoors then bushcraft proper so I really read more on outdoor techniques. Whether book of the bivvy, that ml book or books on fitness for outdoor sports. I've started the natural navigation book but only started. I once walked for a week on Skye with my downtime spent reading a book by guy Grieve about his move to Alaska for a year. It kind of resonated with me living in a tent for some reason. Not the same thing but being in the UK wild and reading without a torch after midnight is kind of memorable.

Reactions: Madriverrob

Brizzlebush

Explorer
Feb 9, 2019
Bristol
You can save a few pounds and not line amazons pockets if you buy it through Abebooks.
https://www.abebooks.co.uk/servlet/BookDetailsPL?bi=19472709887
I agree, second hand is great and cheaper so I hate to burst your bubble, but, Abebooks is a subsidiary of Amazon:

Scroll down the page to find the details. I was surprised when I found out, and pretty cross, partly because you have to look.

Amazon is insidious, almost unavoidable and everywhere.
But then that's their plan.
They don't get a penny from me.

Try this list if, like me, you want to boycott Amazon and love books.

Apologies to the OP for the tangent. I can move this to a new thread if the mods want? I just thought it was worth letting peeps know.

I read the SAS handbook cover to cover as a teen. I don't consider it bushcraft, technically, but there are a lot of crossovers, and I found it inspirational.
Food for free by Richard Mabey I still love.

Last edited:

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE