Favourite Knot

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

steve a

Settler
Oct 2, 2003
south bedfordshire
pierre girard said:
Misunderstood terminology:

:lmao: My fifth grade teacher taught us the "sheet shank." That was about 40 years ago. Up until about a year ago, I always referred to it as the "sheep shank." I always wondered what it could possibly have to do with sheep.

PG

To add to the confusion or maybe explain it. :)

Sheep shank, knot used to shorten a length of rope, didn't know about the knot being used for restraining sheep :confused if the ends of the rope are not under tension the knot comes undone quite easily, only about 47% efficient

Sheet Bend, used for joining two lengths of rope together

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
The knots i most use for work are:-
Bowline normal and running
the good old round turn and two half hitches
clove hitch and rolling hitch both tied and thrown
Figure of eight loop
and hunters bend.
cheers

pierre girard

Need to contact Admin...
Dec 28, 2005
Hunter Lake, MN USA
match said:
Pierre - it IS a sheep shank. The name I believe comes from it having the two loops present, which used to be used to tie the legs of a sheep for various purposes, but which can then be shaken out once the animal is released.

Ah, then I didn't have it wrong. Never could figure what it was good for, as it came undone so easily. Now if you put a sheep's legs in the loops - it would make sense (I think). Too bad I have no sheep.

PG

lou1661

Jul 18, 2004
Hampshire
pierre girard said:
Ah, then I didn't have it wrong. Never could figure what it was good for, as it came undone so easily. Now if you put a sheep's legs in the loops - it would make sense (I think). Too bad I have no sheep.

PG
I think its probarbly best we dont ask why anyone would want to restrain a sheep!!!!!

Laurence Dell

Forager
Aug 24, 2004
Sevenoaks, Kent
falcon said:
Go on then......what's a Yosemite tie-off ? :lmao:

It does sound like a comedy name doesn't it one of the reasons that I like it :)

But it is a actually quite a neat knot for bowline fans, it is a way of tidying the tail on a bowline that not only makes the knot more secure but tucks the tail up out of the way making the bowline less messy.

I often use a bowline as a termination knot on my tree climbing rope and to make this secure it should have some kind of stopper for safety such as a figure of eight these I find can come undone and get in the way. So the Yosemite tie-off solves this problem.
The diagram below explains it better

Taken from the Tree Climbers Companion by Jeff Jepson

bambodoggy

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 10, 2004
Surrey
www.stumpandgrind.co.uk
pierre girard said:
Misunderstood terminology:

:lmao: My fifth grade teacher taught us the "sheet shank." That was about 40 years ago. Up until about a year ago, I always referred to it as the "sheep shank." I always wondered what it could possibly have to do with sheep.

PG

Lol..... :lmao: :lmao: Do you know all through my scouting days I always thought it was a "sheep" shank too and never knew why.....and it was only a few years back I realised it was in fact a "sheet" shank :lmao: :lmao:

Goose

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 5, 2004
Widnes
www.mpowerservices.co.uk
Have always known it as a sheep shank, spoken and read.
It may have been sheet shank originally, a sheet is a rope attached to a sail, so it would make more sense!
I don't think it would work on tying sheep, better to use a tomfool knot for that, or the handcuff knot as my scouts call it!

Not very scientific but, googled "sheetshank" got about 6 results, googled "sheepshank" got 18,100 results!

Don Redondo

Forager
Jan 4, 2006
NW Wales
My old dad, who was a rigger and boatbuilder always said that the purpose of a sheep shank was to either shorten a roape that had two standing ends or to isolate a weak spot in the middle of a rope that could'nt be replaced in a hurry.....

Keith_Beef

Native
Sep 9, 2003
Yvelines, north-west of Paris, France.
pierre girard said:

PG

I learnt it as a "sheep shank", too.

I can't think how you'd be able to use it as a hobble.

I only ever used a sheep shank to prove I could tie it (to pass knot and ropework tests) I don't think I ever needed to use one to shorten a rope.

On the other hand, I learnt the "clothes hitch" from my grandmother; this was the knot she used to fasten up the clothes line.

Years later, I found it was really a clove hitch.

K.

Brixton

Need to contact Admin...
Jul 3, 2005
I love stopper knots.
Why?
Because it is such fun to use the wrong one to confuse the unwary
(I am a vindictive chap on occasion - well try to be)
Do I mean a climbing stopper knot ?
or a gib sheet sailing stopper knot ?

If that game gets dull I can swiftly move onto coiling up ropes.
The SPA method
The RYA method
The Rock-n-Roll rigger's method
The hand crochetting type style method.

Then I can get really really boring and go on for hours about pulleys, shieves, angles of fleet. I can be a real anorack now.
:rolleyes:

I suppose I'll be "getting knotted" then

Brixton

Salix

Nomad
Jan 13, 2006
Bolton
Favourite working knots.............

1) Blakes hitch.............Far better than a prussik.
2) Alpine butterfly.........First knot i learned to tie as a young ranger.
3) Marlin spike.............Great for pulling up gear.

other also rans;

Fig 8
Bowline
Clove hitch
Waggoners hitch
an the itl do knot :eek:

Mark

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE