Favourite fuel for your stove?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Roefisher

Forager
Oct 15, 2005
The Roe Valley
Hi folks,

I've got an MSR Dragonfly. Up until this week it was never used :eek: but now that the ice is broken, I've took a real shine to it.

Anyway, I put some Kerosene in it and the flame worked fine but I don't fancy the smell. So what do you use in your multi-fuel stoves?

Mark

Stew

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 29, 2003
Aylesbury
stewartjlight-knives.com
Not really to my nose. When it's switched off there's a bit of a smell from unburnt gas but it doesn't last long.

Coleman fuel can be bought from outdoor shops such as Cotswold Outdoors or caravan shops sometimes have it.

jamie6754

Need to contact Admin...
Oct 22, 2006
Bergen germany 29303
In my dragonfly i use naphtha which is a great fuel it doesnt leave black soot on my pots and i must say the dragonfly is a fantastic cooker because of it simmer control and with myself everytime i have used it , it has lit first time.

Naphtha is obtained in petroleum refineries as one of the intermediate products from the distillation of crude oil. It is a liquid intermediate between the light gases in the crude oil and the heavier liquid kerosene. Naphthas are volatile, flammable and have a specific gravity of about 0.7. The generic name naphtha describes a range of different refinery intermediate products used in different applications. To further complicate the matter, similar naphtha types are often referred to by different names.

fred gordon

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 8, 2006
Aberdeenshire
Looking at it another way, I prefer wood for my stove, especially old seasoned oak. Great for cooking. I have also used Coleman fuel but its very expensive. I did get hold of some helicopter fuel once and I thought my primus stove was going to melt it burned so hot. However, I realkly like the smell of paraffin. I brings back lots of memories of camping trips. :)

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
I only use kerosene in my stoves. Both the Optimus 111 Hikers (wich is a kerosene stove :) ) and my multifuel.
And yes it smells bad, but one get used to it.
I use it because it is the best fuel (I can get) for the money.

Tor

Dec 22, 2006
Rural Oregon, USA
One of the secrets with stoves, do not pack them with your food. Keep your stove and fuel separated. I own several stoves, Gasoline is my favorite fuel. Here in the states it is the most popular. Also if some one or yourself need to borrow some fuel from someone else it can be done very easily. Diesel/kerosene is not used much so finding fuel if you run out can be impossible in the Bush. Same with Butane/propane fuel and add to the fact you can not give some to another.

I have a small bluet butane stove I use for light weight outings that will not be long or cycling. I have a MSR whisper light and XGK for more serious adventures. I was given a alcohol stove, but alcohol is expensive and not readily available. On more serious adventure I carry twice the fuel I expect to use. On alpine adventures where I will be making water (melting snow) I like the XGK best, it is noisy but HOT!.

Roefisher

Forager
Oct 15, 2005
The Roe Valley
I went into the town this morning and got a gallon of Panel Wipe. Straight home and out to the garden.

I'm very pleased indeed. The Dragonfly burnt it with a strong smooth flame and no soot or smell. Only thing I must say I did wrong was putting a little too much in the well at the start to preheat - that stuff takes off with some authority :rolleyes:

Thanks for the super advice, fellas!

Mark

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Tor helge said:
I only use kerosene in my stoves. Both the Optimus 111 Hikers (wich is a kerosene stove :) ) and my multifuel.
And yes it smells bad, but one get used to it.
I use it because it is the best fuel (I can get) for the money.

Tor

111's, :) :) :) I love them, Tor, have you tried the alcohol conversion for the 111?

May 25, 2006
Canada
www.freewebs.com
Alchohol, cheap at the hardware stores (or parent's liquor cabinet! :p ), But I also like white gas, expensive, but not bad for the quality burn.

I ussually use coleman's camp fuel, it's cheap, effective, and clean burning for me. Although I don't stick my nose over the jet to smell the fumes :lmao: , I'm usually cooking in fairly windy areas (due to bugs), so I don't smell much if there was any.

PC2K

Settler
Oct 31, 2003
The Netherlands, Delft
in my multifuel i prefer propane/butane cannisters, second choice is white gas. Haven't tryed other liquids in mine multifuel.

In general i burn white gas most, because my multifuel stove is much heavier than my cannister stove.

cyclist

Need to contact Admin...
Sep 9, 2006
holstein
mojofilter said:
I actually like the smell of paraffin you know..... :D

I prefer pine (Kelly), oak is also fine and cinamon, cedar, green tea ....
or vodka, single malt and cognac in a Trangia :) :D

addyb

Native
Jul 2, 2005
Vancouver Island, Canada.
I'm torn between two fuels.

- meths for three season camping because they're cheap, quiet, and well...I love my little Trangia.

- white gas (petrol) for winter camping because melting snow doesn't take eons like it does when using a meths stove in snow. But seeing as how I haven't done anything resembling a winter hike in a good few years, I'd say I still prefer meths.

Adam

Post Script: I prefer not to use alcohol alcohol in my Trangia. It's such a pity when it doesn't go into your stomach! :lmao:

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
rik_uk3 said:
111's, :) :) :) I love them, Tor, have you tried the alcohol conversion for the 111?

Nope. I have not.
Alcohol (rødsprit/red spirits in Norway) is far too expensive to use as fuel. And it is not a good fuel in winter time (i don`t think it is a good fuel anytime of year, but in summer you at least get hot water for your coffee :) ) .

Tor

JonnyP

Oct 17, 2005
Cornwall...
I have an msr whisperlight, which is either on, full blast or nearly off....Coleman fuel is best, but with the shaker jet for easy cleaning, I always use petrol these days, though the last meet I went to, I used the fire and didn't pack a stove....Fire is best....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE