Favourite Forest-type

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Favourite Forest-type

• Total voters

oldsoldier

Forager
Jan 29, 2007
MA
I voted mix, as I love the sound of the wind through the pine trees, and enjoy the darkness of a good coniferous forest. However, I also like the copses of birch, aspen, and all those other trees out there. And, when mountain laurel blooms, its a wonderful sight, even if my allergies hate it.

Greg

Jul 16, 2006
Pembrokeshire
I much prefer the variety you can get in a mixed woodland there is something majestic, everlasting almost about a tall evergreen tree standing out between deciduous trees in autumn. And IMHO I think there is more life to be seen in a mixed wood, animals, ground foliage etc.

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
tristan j thomas said:
miked for a wider range as john has said in his previous post Tristan
I like the idea of a miked forest - perhaps it will tell us if there IS a sound
when a tree falls but no-one's there to hear it :rolleyes:

I've limited experience (UK only) but you can't beat a bit of the leafy stuff,
so anything would do for me I think. Especially Kew gardens which, although
a bit 'tidy', has name tags on which is very considerate for those of us not
in the know.

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
I'm glad you posted that cos I'd forgotten about this thread and I actually giggled
at my own post there hehe.

A while back I went to one of the Kew Monday evening talks where the guy was telling
us about his time in Japan. He commented that seeing the names in Japanese script
made him wonder what it might be that he was looking at ;)

He was also talking about the raked gravel gardens - to be honest I'd always thought
they were a bit daft and vaguely pretentious - but having him explain the effort involved
and the symbolism behind some of it... actually very interesting. I bought my dad one
of those wee gimmicky 'zen garden' miniatures with sand in a box, some pebbles and
a tiny rake for christmas last year. He was quite amused with it :D

D

Deleted dude 7861

I'm gonna be different and say coniferous just because I feel at home there and it's magical walking along the tracks of trees with hardly any sunlight getting through and the still quietness. I'll often just sit down and look along the row of conifers it gives a great view of deer and other animals that like the hidden canopy of close coniferous forest. I won't mention the fact of loving pine needle tea too, aaaahhhh heaven :D

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
I spent a lot of time wandering in FC coniferous forest (Stang on the Durham/North yorkshire border's) as a youngster, its only later in life I have got to spend more time in proper woodland's :D In suffolk theres stacks of oak, even in hedgerow's, plenty of ash, birch, hazel, not so much beech. Theres still a fair amount of coppice; with a few standard oks up above. It saddens me to se a deserted or misused woodland. Theres few better sights than a healthy coppice stool with 6 or 7 vigoruos poles emerging from it. Or a stand of poplars or willow near a stream or lake
I wonder how the scottish project is doing? Thers still a few places in North yorkshire (EG swaledale) where theres ancient oak wood's in sheltered parts of the river valley. I love seeing young oak's.

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Local to me is all deciduous woodland but I have this image burned into my mind that I often recall like a dream I once had but cannot remember of a sparse coniferous scene carpeted in thick snow with a light snowfall that is absolutely and so silent that it's deafening.

I would love to find this place one day.

I may have found it myself. A lot of the coniferous woodland around Hohne in Germany, the last posting I was at before leaving the army for good, looked just like the woodland you describe. In winter, the snow would be on the trees and on the ground and the woodland seemed to compoletely change. Each footfall was a crunch as snow was compacted. Apart from that, it was perfectly silent, every now and then a deer would just appear from no where, stop and take a look then turn and bound away in total silence.

I watched Band of Brothers, and the woods around Hohne looked just like the woodland they portrayed as Bastogne, except the trees weren't exploding!

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
For me the difference is "ancient" or "secondary" whether conifer or broadleaf. Woodland takes hundreds of years to develop interest, probably our most interesting and unusual trees in this country are wood pasture trees not woodland. Ancient pollards that were lopped for timber when young with stock grazing below. I would rather be in a 150 year old stand of well thinned conifer than 150 year old broadleaf but 500 year old pollards on nice heath or flower rich grassland with an ancient mixed coppice alongside that would do for me.

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
A while back I voted for mixed.
I would now like to qualify that by saying - Mixed, but without too much £$%^&&^%$£^
blackthorn!
I am still getting thorns out of my handsafter exploring the potential of a local wood that turned out to be 99.99999% &%^%^&^%%$*&* thorn!
This exploration was 10 days ago!
Note to self - take stronger gloves next time......

sharp88

Settler
Aug 18, 2006
Kent
I love the look of coniferous forest. But for resources it has to be deciduous (dunno if i spelled it right...its been a while since the school geography days).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE