Favourite Books

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
I am a prolific reader and try to read at least one book a week, currently reading:

Popski's Private Army, Lt Col Vladimir Peniakoff.

&

Bearded Brigands, Trooper Frank Jopling.

My favs include:

The Devils Guard - George Robert Elford. This is a 'true' story about Waffen SS soldiers fighting for the French Foreign Legion in Indochina after escaping the allies. A absolutely rivetting book that i go back to time after time, or, at least i would do. I lent it to someone and nevr got it back. Keeping my eye out for a copy now.

Damn fine read, war with the warts, I first read it because I had an uncle who served in that part of La Legion at that particular time. Lets just say he had to leave Germany quickly.

Jed, you'll be lucky to get a copy of the book. It is now officially a collectors item and goes for anything from £50.00 to £100. Mine went walkabout too and I managed to get a replacement, £££'s ouch!

Cold Zero - Christopher Whitcomb. This fella joined the FBI and became a sniper in the FBI Hostage Rescue Team. It's not as 'Gung Ho' as it sounds. It's well written by a thoughtful, intelligent individual and is well worth a look, even if only for his unique experience of Waco and Ruby Ridge.

Another classic in waiting.

First Into Action - Duncan Falconer. An account of one mans life in the SBS. Dispels some of the Myths of the British Special Forces community and pulls no punches. a proud and humble man, Duncan Falconer is a bloke i'd like to have a chat with over a few beer's!

Ditto. Just finished his 'The Protector', the darker funnier side of military contracting.

Pamwe Chete The Legend of the Selous Scouts, Reid-Daly, R. Title says it all.

Selous Scouts Top Secret War, Reid-Daly, R., Stif, R. The first work as such about the Selous Scouts.

SAS Rhodesia, Pittaway & Fourie. I am waiting for the new edition of this, one of the authors is going to tell me when they are ready to ship. They are realeasing 3 books about Rhodie soldiering in November: LRDG; SAS; Selous Scouts.

I picked up a book by Dick Couch when I was in the US last, light bed time reading, I could not put it down and ended up buying the follow ons. If you ever want to know what it takes to be a Special Forces soldier from a front row seat so that you can see almost everything - these are the books.

The Warrior Elite, The forging of SEAL Class 228

The Finishing School, Earning the Navy SEAL trident

Down Range, Navy SEAL's in the War on Terrorism

More recently Dick Couch wrote a work following a group thru Green Beret: pre-training; pre-selection; selection; speciality training; and operations.

Chosen Soldier, The making of a Special Forces warrior.

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
Fiction: Danny, Champion of the World - Rould Dahl. I was bought my copy when I was about 9. I love this book. Can't wait until my boy is old enough to sit still long enough to read it with me.

Non Fiction: Life on Earth - David Attenborough. My Gran bought me this when I was 13. God has it really been 25 years!

spamel

Banned
Feb 15, 2005
Silkstone, Blighty!
Selous Scouts Top Secret War, Reid-Daly, R., Stif, R. Reading this one now, got it for a fiver off of eBay. pamwe Chete seems to command a decent price! Can't believe you lent your Devils Guard books out, they are worth a fortune.

Alex, can you keep me posted on the 3 Rhodie soldiering books please.

KAE1

Settler
Mar 26, 2007
suffolk
I like adult animal books, no, no, no not beastialty!!! I mean;

Henry Williamson such as Stunperleap and Tarka the Otter.
Brian Plummer, Lepus, Trog, Nathan.
Then there is;
Hunter S Thompson
The Dorian Amos books were good.
Robin Pages short extracts are amusing.
Chris Yates

I will be taking Charlie Boorman 'Road to Dakar' and Jamie Andrews 'Life and Limb' on hols.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
Oh yeah I forgot to mention Tower of Silence auto biography of a dissidnet kgb agent
a nasty book scary instructive tense depessing illuminating describes his flight from the glass aquarium offices to the west aparently a true stroy

Tourist

Settler
Jun 15, 2007
Northants
Selous Scouts Top Secret War, Reid-Daly, R., Stif, R. Reading this one now, got it for a fiver off of eBay. pamwe Chete seems to command a decent price! Can't believe you lent your Devils Guard books out, they are worth a fortune.

Alex, can you keep me posted on the 3 Rhodie soldiering books please.

My Pamwe Chete cost me £80.00, hardback and still mint......with two kids around.

£5.00 is a good price for one of those, you got a bargain there. Others to watch out for are the two Rhodie SAS books by Barbara Cole:

The Elite - The Story of the Rhodesian SAS

&

The Elite, Rhodesias Special Air Service, Pictorial

Spamel, I will most certainly keep you informed about the Fourie and Pittaway books.

PS RED ZAMBEZI, Hale, J. A 'fictitous' account of a high ranking mercenarys life and role in Rhodesia, because it could never be told as true........

John Fenna

Lifetime Member & Maker
Oct 7, 2006
Pembrokeshire
Oh yes - anythingby either Rankin boys! Ian or Robert that is....
My list just keeps getting longer and my bookshelves more crowded!

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
Where do i start.
Probably my most read non-fiction is Arctic Dreams by Barry Lopez (maybe a tad dated on some of his views, but so far forward on many of them, that he is very upto date).
Dorian Amos's books are great ( to the point we're off to the Yukon next week to look for a house).
Nessmuk of course,
The Eldar Eddas (fiction, non-fiction, you decide:) )

Fiction wise,
All the Ann Mcaffry books
The Last Kingdom series by Bernard Cornwell
The Viking Series by Tim Severin
Tolkien
All Pratchets work (even the ones for kids)
And a whole library of other books that spill out over the floor in 3 rooms

Baggins

Gary Elson

Feb 27, 2007
Bulkington Warwickshire
Some great suggestions

Can I add in the following for those with a canoeing side

Path of the paddle - Bill Mason
Song of the Paddle - Bill Mason

My wife would also add the Axminster tools catalogue on my behalf !!!:)

Gary

Jul 15, 2006
Nil
Ice Cold In Alex - Christopher Landon
Congo Mercenary - Major Mike Hoare
The Phantom Major - Virginia Cowles
Three Against The Wilderness - Eric Collier
Crazy White Man - Richard Morenus
Alone In The Wilderness - Mike Tomkies
A Last Wild Place - Mike Tomkies
Fireweed - Jill Paton-Walsh

Plus,

ALL the Poldark novels by Winston Graham

Jedadiah

Native
Jan 29, 2007
Northern Doghouse
Oops, Forgot to mention,

Excursion To Hell by Vincent Bramley. Astonishing account of the Battle for Mt Longdon, what happened before and afterwards. It sounds like Vincent dug deep to write the account of his experiences. When i say it was hard work reading it, i don't mean it was written badly, i mean when i read it, i was up Mount Kent!

Also recommended, 'Where did it all go right by Andrew Collins. An absolute must if you were born between 1965 and 1972. Laugh out loud funny!

Soloman

Settler
Aug 12, 2007
Scotland
Hi troops Soloman here.

This is my first post,the site looks great.Heres a few gems if you can get hold of them,first CRUSOE OF LONESOME LAKE the story of Ralph edwards building up a farm from virgin forest in Brittish Columbia at the turn of the century.A CODE TO KEEP by Ernest c Brace a disgraced us pilot shot down in viet nam and held prisoner for ten years.WILD SWANS by Jung chang, the story of three generations of chinese women.

All these books are about survival in different ways and i would give all three 10/10.

Tengu

Jan 10, 2006
Wiltshire
Ah, I mean to read the first (I read a heavily condensed version in a Readers Digest mag once) not only a very tough pioneer, but an innovachitive man (and daughter) in his own right.

Not so much about bushcraft, but of bringing modern conveniences to the wilderness

Big Bad Stu

Nomad
Jul 18, 2006
Shropshire
Fiction:

The Lord of The Rings - JRR Tolkein

Factual:

Bushcraft - Mors Kochanski
Essential Bushcraft - Ray Mears

Biographical:

Bravo Two Zero - Andy McNab
Call Of The Wild, My Escape to Alaska - Guy Grieve (simply excellent :headbang: )

Stewey.:D

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE