Favorite ways to brew either at camp or home

bikebum1975

Settler
Mar 2, 2009
Connecticut
Hey Guys just curious how everyone likes to brew mainly Coffee but Tea as well as the title says both palces. I like perked coffee best but I mainly use a drip filter from Melita that sits on the cup pour water over grouds let drip. Makes a killer cup at that but lets hear your fav ways.

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
In the field throw the coffee grounds into the hobo and boil away, when done ; let settle for a minute and pour straight into the mug. The occassional ground escapes but I like it that way. :)

cowboycoffeeonthehobo.jpg

jonajuna

Banned
Jul 12, 2008
s
one of these ways:

74514209.jpg

smartcafe cafetiere mug

or

camping_perk.jpg

although mine has a bail over the top for hanging and a d ring at the bottom for tipping

although at work the other day, i had neither so i used a filterpaper and a bog standard funnel.... paper in funnel, funnel in mug..... instant filter coffee

MartinK9

Life Member
Dec 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Handpresso, for a treat.
Not very hairy-chested; but does hobo-boiling the water compensate ?

It works fine, just let it have a good "rolling boil" and the flavour comes out.

After the first brew, just add another tablespoon of grounds, stir up the sludge from the bottom, top up with water and go again. :)

By the third cup - :red:

Chance

Nomad
May 10, 2006
Aberdeenshire
You got me wrong - I'm using my hobo to compensate for the fact that I'm drinking a thimbleful of 16-bar espresso with my little finger projecting... instead of roasting my own foraged beans, grinding them with flint and boiling them in buckskin.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Thats the only way....yumm
2006_0116wolf0003.jpg

Twodogs

Good man, fine setup :)

At least one other member here has a stainless steel coffee press like this one (I sold it to him) but the Outwell kettle is brew pot of choice until my GSI 36 cup percolator arrives from the States :)

8r-1Medium-1.jpg

DSCF4179640x480.jpg

The kettle is now 'tactical stealth black' after use over an open fire ;)

Twodogs

Bushcrafter through and through
Nov 16, 2008
West Midland
www.facebook.com
Hello Dom
Its a Optimus 111T this ones ex-USMC issue I imported it from the US .
Thay do come up on ebay as do all the other 111 type stove.
Love it very retro and works every time ..
2006_0116wolf0013.jpg

More coffee on the go ..
Twodogs

g4ghb

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
I'm VERY discerning about my tea as I don't drink coffee at all

My method - complicated I know but bear with me!

1. boil water
  2. pour in mug
  3. add t-bag (std tea, no poncy earl grey or other fancy brews mind!!)
  4. squish a bit
  5. add milk (fresh! - no uht rubbish, rather drink black if thats all on offer!)
  6. remove t-bag
  7. drink
takes a bit of practice though - however in camp that involves boiling the kettle once the mug has been emptied so dosn't take too long to get back in the swing ;)

g4ghb

Sep 21, 2005
Wiltshire
This is the MOST important part of brewing up!..
I like my tea like tar personally!..
You can't forget the squish!..

As for coffee I'll pass thanks...

Simon

To be honest i'll drink tea almost any way (kinda an occupational hazard at work) but I have a mate in the office who leaves his bag in as he drinks :eek: - you can make a decent brew once he has finished just by adding hot water to his empty mug, with the bag removed!!!!

Weesi

Forager
Sep 19, 2008
Scotland
I couldn't bring myself to leave the bag in the mug!..
There goes my OCD thing again lol
It's just not right though!..

Does anyone still use loose tea leaves? I've not had a brew with those for ages!..
Tea bags make it easier but are they better?..

Simon

I use loose leaf tea when out and about i use a tea ball type thingy(highly descriptive i know) its two rings of metal with mesh in the centre of each which click together making a metal tea bag. it has a chain attached with a hook just the right size to hook onto the handle of a crusader cup.
main reason i have it is that it means i can just empty it and go again without having to rip up the (soggy) tea bag and disperse the leaves.
i think it does add to the flavour of the tea and it also allows me to mix my own blend of tea.
mind you i am a bit of a tea obsessive
Sam

locum76

Oct 9, 2005
Kirkliston
Coffee: Only in a stove top espresso pot. the type of stove doesn't matter.

Tea: As Rik_Uk3 described but allowing the occasional poncy tea such as red bush.

Jan 28, 2010
ontario
I've been experimenting on how to make the perfect camp coffee with

minimal equipment, and this is it:

Our local roastery has a commercial grinder, so I requested half a pound to be ground to the finest powder possible;
then I just use it as if it were instant coffee--no filters,percs, screens,
the fine silt sinks very quickly and stays at the bottom---
makes delicious strong real coffee.....

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE