Favorite ferro rod

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Tommyd345

Nomad
Feb 2, 2015
Norfolk
My favourite was the 2.0 until I got my mitts on the ones selling down in the classifies. PNW survival strikers they are called. Really good sparks, good quality magnesium and also the handle can be scraped to use as tinder also. Can't reccomend high enough :)

No affiliation just a very happy customer! (P.s the huge ones really are huge!)

Klenchblaize

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Nov 25, 2005
Greensand Ridge
Slightly off topic but has anyone cut a course or otherwise thread on a ferro rod so it might be fitted to a custom handle with corresponding threaded sleeve? Thus allowing easy replacement rather than having to melt the Devcon used to glue rod in place on something like an antla or stabilised wood handle.

Cheers

K

Hammock_man

May 15, 2008
kent
I know I said I would make one over the weekend but...... have been unable to find my antler tips. Think the kids may have "put them safe" but will keep looking.

MarkN

Jan 13, 2015
Dorset
I can't argue against the Light My Fire Army 2.0, it's superb and creates some great sparks but my overall favourite is the Strike Force by Ultimate Survival, I think it's hard to beat. It comes in it's own case and has storage for a wet fire or cotton wool etc.

Gcckoka

Settler
Nov 13, 2015
Georgia
I can't argue against the Light My Fire Army 2.0, it's superb and creates some great sparks but my overall favourite is the Strike Force by Ultimate Survival, I think it's hard to beat. It comes in it's own case and has storage for a wet fire or cotton wool etc.

I got the spark force from ust

richardhomer

Settler
Aug 23, 2012
STOURBRIDGE
There is definitely a difference in the performance of different ferro rods (not always dependant on cost)….There is however a much bigger difference in the performance of the striker used. Some of the cheapest ferro rods work absolutely fine if you use a good striker, the little bit of hacksaw blade covered in Red or Green paint is not a particularly good one, nor is the spine of many a knife. The best strikers I have found (and they will work fine with the cheapest of ferro rods) is a good piece of glass or glazed pottery even a nice sharp piece of flint.

DB

I use a sharp piece of flint with great results. Your right about the cheap bits of hack saw blades that some of the fire steels come with. Iv never used the back of a knife.

Insel Affen

Settler
Aug 27, 2014
Tewkesbury, N Gloucestershire
13494119074_f07b4452be_m.jpg

Light my fire Swedish fire steel 2.0 Army model in Coco Shell. Comes with an emergency whistle which isn't up to much IMHO...

I have one of here and thought it was quite good. But the one I have had the best sparks from was a cheap Karrimor one from Sports Direct. Chucks out a great spark especially with the cheap (razor sharp) knife I got from Heine.

MikeLA

May 17, 2011
Northumberland
never had a problem with any make so really don't have a favourite still use a light my fire one though, a BCB make and a bear grylls make. Have used cheaper and they have worked fine.

Clouston98

Woodsman & Beekeeper
Aug 19, 2013
Cumbria
I find a lot of them very similar, and that the striker is the important part. Some rods seem softer than others- the softer ones through bigger sparks but the harder one last longer. I use a light my fire army oak, I bought a woodlore one as well because it was actually cheaper than the light my fire ones- they're both very good. To strike it's either the back of my knife or the 'super scraper' one I bought separately - really throws big hot sparks and I prefer it to the knife back and being smaller it's just easier to use and you don't have the knife blade in the way etc. Hope this helps :).

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE