Faulty GB Axe?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

ganstey

Settler
If your not happy with it then ask the dealer to replace it. But, if you've done anything to it then you might struggle. If you get no joy from the dealer contact GB direct. I did this a while ago - I was asking for advice rather than replacement - and was very impressed with their customer service. I was asking how to fix a problem I had, and they just replaced it free of charge direct from the factory.

G

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
haha not from you Lurch =) Im not angry at the supplier, the supplier did offer to swap it for me. I think im more unhappy with the GB quality control.

sorry to keep going on about it. Just pointing out all my moaning isnt about a little rough finish or a little flat spot

Here is the "rough" look. Its nice, I like it.

P1020539.JPG

Back of axe - even rougher, but still I like it it gives grip
P1020540.JPG

Other side of the top picture.. chainsaw carved?
P1020541.JPG

at least I got a unique axe huh? goto look on bright side :) Cant wait to carve something up with it!

robin wood

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
It is carved with a replicating lathe where the wood turns slowly and a flying cutter following a pattern cuts the wood, actually not so far different to a chainsaw. It produces a very even texture on some woods but on hickory which is incredibly stringy you do tend to get exactly that, little bits of tear out. I have a dozen carving axes I use for courses and they all have greater or lesser degrees of tear out, it doesn't affect function. To me it isn't a quality control issue, it is a question of is that the product you want? if you would rather a sanded handle they are available, in fact most GB axe handles are sanded, if you would rather a carved handle the red beach ones are lovely.
If they used ash rather than hickory you would get a lovely clean cut but it is the stringyness that gives it the extra strength.

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
The more I look at it the more I like it. Anyway its a keeper, if it starts to bother me too much I'll sand it down =) As you said its a tool not a beauty queen

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE