Faulty GB Axe?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Hi chaps.

I ordered a new GB axe and I think its faulty. I purchased a ray mears small forrest axe a couple of months back and I remember the handle being smooth. This one however, one side is smooth, the other side looks like a boy scout has carved it out, in particular a two chunks are showing.

Do i sand it down and fix it before I get splinters, or do I send it back?

P1020528.JPG

Woz888

Aug 17, 2010
Downunder
No handle should be like that. I would contact the seller about sending it back pronto. If you get no joy contact GB direct.

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
They said GB carving axes and small hatchets come with such rough handles, but I dont buy it. Im requesting a replacement.

Just curious, Should I have to pay for the return delivery costs?

ged

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jul 16, 2009
In the woods if possible.
They said GB carving axes and small hatchets come with such rough handles, but I dont buy it. Im requesting a replacement.

A lot depends on the interpretation of events.

If you return an item under the Distance Selling Regulations you have to tell the supplier within seven days and you bear the cost of returning it. In this case you can return it even if there's nothing wrong with it, just because you changed your mind.

If you're refusing to accept it because of a fault then you can rely on contract law and things are different in lots of ways. You just need to tell the supplier that you're rejecting it, and you want your money back, because the product isn't acceptable ("merchantable quality", "fit for purpose") and you can tell him that he can collect it from you at his expense -- you don't need to send it back to him. You need to be reasonable about making it available for collection, it's no good saying he can only collect it when you're not in the pub...

Some traders ignore the rules completely. In some cases you might need to go to Court to get your rights.

This is not legal advice.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Or, just give the handle a rub down and put some linseed oil on it and call it good. I generally like to finish the helve to my own standards as well as tidy the bevels up with a new axe - the only ones I have seen that come as I like them are Ceggas.

That does look a pretty manky finish, and yes, I would have expected better, but personnaly I'd fix it and not deal with said retailer again

Pierr

Forager
Sep 15, 2008
France
Someof GB axes have indeed on purposed a handle with some sorts of "channels" in it to make them less slippery; hard to say from the picture but it could just be that. The hand hatchet has that.

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Yeah the rough finish dosnt bother me, its the two chunks of wood that are missing from the handle. Hard to make out from the photo but there are two indents in the wood about 1mm deep. I fear cracks / splits / splinters will form from these two holes.

Im tempted to just sand it down. However it would take me a while and I would be removing a lot of wood to make the hole handle match the depth of the two holes.

pastymuncher

Nomad
Apr 21, 2010
The U.K Desert
It looks like the grain has not helped when it was rough shaped and the sanding wasn't thorough enough, not really a problem, many quality woodworking tools are supplied unfinished as the user will finish them to suit their needs.
A quick rub down with sandpaper and all will be fine, it's a tool ATEOTD and the handle will get knocked and scuffed in use anyway.

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Well Im just wondering if this is normal. If so, no problem I will deal with it and try and fix it. Also saves me trying to get a replacement which will no doubt be the same. But if this is not normal I would like to get what I paid for (£80).

So.. is this normal ?

rusty crack? (looking from top at the axe head)
P1020532.JPG

Convex transforming into scandi grind towards the bottom ?
P1020533.JPG

P1020534.JPG

Chunks out of the handle ?
P1020536.JPG

pastymuncher

Nomad
Apr 21, 2010
The U.K Desert
I wouldn't be too bothered about the rusty crack, it just looks like a mark from the forging process. As for the grind, well you are going to sharpen it to your personal requirements any way, aren't you? Just think of the grind as a rough shaping of the cutting edge.

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
I have sat with a pile of Gränsfors Bruks Small Forrest Axes (fifteen) on a table in front of me and I was surprised by how different the helve finish was between each one. If you plan to work on the helve then you should be able to smooth out the chunks easily enough. The rusty crack isn't anything I'd worry about nor the grind, although when I purchased my axes the blades were ground and sharpened to perfection, that was a while ago though.

On the Woodlore campcraft course attendees are given an axe and then spend the following week tweeking and modifying it in various ways, with a lot of work going into the helve.

Not pertinent to this discussion I know, but here is a video of a an axe being made at the Gränsfors Bruks factory. :)

Last edited:

robin wood

Oct 29, 2007
derbyshire
www.robin-wood.co.uk
Did you want a tool to work with or something to polish? I see this as a tool perfectly fit for purpose.

Other axe manufacturers sand handles and heads, Gransfors choose to leave a hammered and machine cut finish (on carving axe handles) which some see as rough and yes sometimes with difficult grain you get a bit of tearout. This does not affect the strength and is not likely to develop into a split. It does improve grip though some prefer smooth handles I actually prefer even coarser facets like their carved red beach handles. Listen to Daniel Granby explain why here http://www.dolectures.com/speakers/speakers-2009/gabriel-branby

As for the grind convex at the top point is good because that part of the axe is used for concave cuts. Scandi on the lower part where you do planing flat cuts is best. Not sure they all come that way most are slightly convex all the way.

effzedess

Apr 29, 2010
Peterborough
If you return an item under the Distance Selling Regulations you have to tell the supplier within seven days and you bear the cost of returning it. In this case you can return it even if there's nothing wrong with it, just because you changed your mind.

Just to clarify - DSR give you seven 'working days' after the day you received the goods. Also, the seller must refund all postage costs.
Hope this helps. As Ged said, some traders simply ignore the regulations. Either because they aren't aware of their responsibilities or, more often, consumers aren't aware of their rights.

Effzedess

rancid badger

The blade issues are nothing at all, the "crack" is where the steel of the axe head has been folded over in the forging process and to me anyway; is more a sign of quality.

I might be deluded on that but that's my view:)

However:

The helve should not be damaged or splintered in any way, in my opinion. I would not expect to pay £80 then have to sand the thing down, to make it safe to get started:confused:

It's one thing to buy a tool, and then deliberately adapt it to suit your personal requirements,in regard to fit or finish.

It's something else again; buying a tool that, when it arrives, is in fact, not finished to a satisfactory standard (and in my book; splinters on an axe handle are certainly not satisfactory, not at that price anyway!) and requires finishing by the customer to make it fit for use!

This lad had paid £80 for what is supposed to be a high quality, ready to use tool, not a cheap piece of crxp from B&Q, that you can re-grind, re-model the handle and after a few hours work, turn a £5 stick splitter into a work of art!.:rolleyes:

Right then; can someone help me down, off this soap box please?;)

Seriously though; if you're not happy with it, send it back and get a full refund.

atb

Steve

PS: remember; if you "modify" it ( like in 'sorting out the handle'?) you will probably find that your 20 year warranty vaporises like morning mist!;)

Last edited:

Everything Mac

Nov 30, 2009
Scotland

there are only two GB axes I know of which come with the rough finish - the Swedish carving axe and the bearded axe. - these have a rough almost hammered finish.
they certainly don't have chunks missing.

if it were mine I'd send it back. but as has been said - it is fit for purpose.

Andy

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
I've visited a local shop, well, the only one in town that sold GB and I must say I was not impressed. I Noticed straight away some rusts on some of the heads, that should be blamed on shop keeper not taking enough care, but then I looked at Scandinavian forest axe and the head was not in line with the center. Handles were not impressive too. I asked straight away if this was the leftovers and he admitted it, but anyways that is no right to sell them on. They should be returned and replaced, only then sold on to the costumer. I hope I will find better examples of GB as now I'm a bit dissapointed.

Oh, and thanks Robin, I wached the video with CEO twice. He is a great man of what he did.

Last edited:

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Yup the only reason I kicked up a fuss is because I expect a GB axe to last for life. Rough finish is OK, but chunks missing is not. Also, a flat spot on the bevel is dissapointing, especially as it is only on one side of the axe. I can grind metal off but I cannot glue metal on to "fill" that flat spot. To get rid of a flat spot that spans the WHOLE of the bevel width will take me a lifetime of sharpening. Also, when I put it down onto a bench the head is not in line with the handle.

After reading all your responses I made the descision to keep it and not return it after seeing most of the comments stated this is normal.

Ive seen a few GB axes and they do come with some sort of irregularity, with some defect in some part of the axe. But this particular axe seems to have a problem in every area of the axe. The handle, the head, the bevel, the weight distribution. I dont think I will be getting another GB unless I see it first.

Kjell-Ake Sjolund im dissapointed in you :p Rant over =)

MSkiba

Settler
Aug 11, 2010
North West
Which model is it? As said the Carvers, and the Hand Hatchet are rough on the handles quite deliberately - it looks horrid but as I say deliberate.

its the swedish carving axe, double bevel. I dont have issue with rough finish but the two chunks of wood missing from the handle. Sorry its hard to see on the photo's. The handle is horrid. One full side is smooth with the rough look. other side looks like its been carved with chainsaw.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE