Fat men can't hunt

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

baggins

Apr 20, 2005
Coventry (and surveying trees uk wide)
In response to my last post, after watching this evenings exciting episode. I am almost ashamed to be a 'brit'. Three of the four blokes have gone home because they couldn't hack it, yet all the women have stayed. What does that say about our culture.
After the recent bb fiascoe, i am hoping that tv producers might realise that it would be far more interesting to show a group of 'normal' people trying this type of experiment than a socially amusing group of misfits.
Baggins

useless

Tenderfoot
Oct 20, 2005
Hampshire, UK
I saw last nights episode and was really gobsmacked! I wonder what these people were actually expecting to experience when they signed up. Surely a little bit of research wouldn't have been too much to expect of people who were about to throw themselves into this sort of set up? You'd have thought they might have gone out out and eating a few nettles and mushrooms, to get a sense of different tastes and textures.

Anyhow, whilst it is very easy to point and laugh, I think the programme holds some interesting footage of group dynamics. Once the real moaning men had left the group got themselves together with more of a "can do" attitude. Also, it is amazing to see how people who are used to eating a lot of food on a very regular basis could choose to avoid eating anything for days on end simply because they didn't like the taste. I wonder if the participants (and people in general) really do make a link between what they put into their bodies and how they feel emotionaly?

Good luck to them. I think the opportunity they have is a fantastic one, if only to learn more about themselves. It makes goodish TV in this age of reality shows, they get their 15 minutes of fame, hopefully the tribe get something tangible from it, the nutritionist gets to see how people act in an environment, not just when on a diet, and we all get to feel smug because, lets face it, we could all have done so much better! :lmao:

Voivode

Forager
Oct 24, 2006
Red Deer, Alberta, Canada
merlin said:
stone age or any other age people still have the problem of individuals with no respect, how would people in the stone age have dealt with this problem, we concentrate on the tools and technology of an age but what about the social problems of that age????

I'm no sociologist, but as I understand it social problems diminish as the community size decreases and the interdependence increases. That is, when you need everybody to contribute and "play along", there isn't much tolerance for bad behaviour and exiling is a pretty terrible punishment when you need your social group to live well or even survive. If any of you have ever lived in a small community, you know that while crime still exists, the lack of anonymity tends to curb vandalism and other anti-social behaviours. It also tends to curb deviance from the norm, as everybody knows everybody else and there is a whole lot of informal information transmission between uninvolved parties (read: gossiping).

Obviously this does not apply for the larger societies, such as the Inca or Aztecs. I presume they struggled with similar difficulties to the ones we face.

backwoodsman

Nomad
Jan 22, 2007
lincolshire
It makes me sick to see these types of people, not only the said program but B.B. and all the rest of that guff that we have to pay our licence fee towards, l go away at least once a year to "protect our we of life" and for what a nation of wingers and losers , are you not proud to be british? not just now l can tell you.
Its about time people got a bit tougher, l think everyone should have to fend for themselves out in the woods for a while, that way they may appreicate what they do have. Still it would leave less room for us! Let them eat there microwave pies......

D

Deleted member 4605

I'm part way through the first episode. Pretty interesting so far, although I have no sympathy for the complaints.

PhilParry

Nomad
Sep 30, 2005
Milton Keynes, Bucks
Are they in Africa? How about giving the participants a set of trainers each and dropping them off close by the nearest pride?

I'm sure they'd lose weight....one way or the other???!!? :D :D :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

Sorry....I'm evil today! :D

Phil

Jodie

Native
Aug 25, 2006
London
www.google.co.uk
Reminds me of the joke where two men are being chased by a lion and one
stops to change into his running shoes. His friend says "Don't be stupid, you'll
never outrun that lion" to which the man replies "True, but I only have to outrun
you."

John Dixon

Forager
May 2, 2006
Cheshire
Just a few thourghts:

It is good TV cos we are all talking about it..........DOh!!! :cool:

If they would starve themselvs because they dont like the taste they dont have an eating peoblem they have a taste addiction?????? Nuke their taste buds and they would lose weight pretty quick?????

Woods Wanderer

Need to contact Admin...
Jan 26, 2006
lincolnshire
fatty fatty bum bum eat your pies eat your pies scoff scoff lol (sigh) fat people what a laugh even my obese best mate takes the mick out of them lol which is unfair i know but THERE FAT cant we send them off to war first after all bet the show wouldnt let natural sulection happen to the porkers though

nobby

Nomad
Jun 26, 2005
English Midlands
thackstonii said:
I think that there is a fairly robust argument that they are in the stone age... okay they have adopted some metal working for their arrow heads but from what little I know they haven't massively changed - they are still hunter gathers.

Are you saying that there is something bad about being in the stone age? or are you saying that the stone age is over?

If they are using metal tools they are not in a stone age. It isn't a question of how much has changed but that there has been change. Being a hunter gather is not specific to a stone age.

Nothing bad about being in a stone age: although it wouldn't be my choice. As for it being over, unless there is evidence of a distinct cultural group living without metal tools, I'd have to say yes.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE