FASTFIND Vs SPOT emergency locator beacons

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
After more info before purchasing one of the systems for personnel use on extended trips and use at work.

Ive only just come across the fastfind and it looks a far more robust unit and uses the professional search and rescue frequencies and there is no sibscription service. It would seem to me the slightly better emergency locator for SAR teams etc but that is all it does. Also has better coverage.

http://www.fastfindplb.com/en/

Spot ive read conflicting reveiws about coverage, battery life etc so would like some of the gumpf displed if you can. Slow up take speeds and uses private owned service not govermental with a paid for subscription. Does have the feature to let your family know your safe adn shows them locations on google earth which is a nice non survival feature but does not seem as good at the primary function of the fastfind. The coverage doesnt cover much ocean which is also a worry.

http://www.findmespot.eu/en/

found this comparison which seemed quite good

Both SPOT and the McMurdo Fastfind GPS Personal Locator Beacon
ir
work well almost every where in the world. EPIRB's do have slightly better world coverage.
Spot Satellite Messenger with GPS Tracking
ir
has some dead zones in southern Africa and the high arctic. Personal EPIRB's like the McMurdo cost more but do not require a yearly monitoring fee and do not have the ability to send non emergency messages. The SPOT uses 2 AA size lithium rechargeable batteries and has a standby life of 12 months. Battery life while on transmit is usually longer with a personal EPIRB and personal EPIRB's such as the Fastfind also transmit on 121.5 MHZ a continuous homing beacon for rescuers to follow. This is a nice feature for areas along the coast where the US Coast Guard patrols, but unfortunately few land based rescuers in national forests will have the required equipment to receive the signal. Weight is a big issue to hikers. SPOT weighs only 7.37 ounces and the McMurdo Fastfind weighs only 9 ounces, barely a noticeable difference. The McMurdo Fast-find is approximately 6 inches long and the SPOT measures just under 4 and a half inches.

On the technical level the McMurdo uses geostationary COSPAS-SARSAT satellites and SPOT uses communication satellites. The McMurdo Fastfind uses the same technology that the beacons required to be carried commercial ships and airplanes do, which is designed first and foremost to be an official emergency distress system. with rigid specifications. While EPIRB distress signals are handled by government and international agencies, SPOT emergency messages are handled through a private company, the GEOS Emergency Response Center in Houston, Texas and it's support centers around the world.
EPIRB response time is not available but I'm pretty sure they do not need as long to start sending a distress call to satellites as the SPOT unit does. Many new EPIRB's such as the Fastfind do use GPS like SPOT does to identify the exact location of the distress call, but the difference is that the EPIRB will begin to transmit immediately, giving a rough indication of the users location and then as the internal GPS acquires the exact location it will add this information to the distress call being transmitted. In my opinion, there is some slight trade off between the two in response time but that is not easily provable. The makers of SPOT claim that it has a 99.5 percent "up time" or connectivity.
I personally carry the McMurdo Fastfind but there are times I wish that I had a SPOT to send a quick one-way family message.
Although it is waterproof and floats the SPOT units are not designed to act as a emergency beacon onboard a boat, nor are personal EPIRB's. Boaters should instead use a regular sized 406 EPIRB unit that will activate when in contact with water and float.
Summary. For the serious hiker both types are worthy products. Also if you have any condition such as allergies to bee stings, etc either is a must have if you are going to be in a remote area. For everybody else, they're a great idea to have and could save your life or that of someone you love.

Any practical expeirence or exposure to either system information welcome​

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
not sure how good it would be in the UK as non/ very few MRTs (not sure about ALSAR teams) use the receivers etc for these.

Also even if they did you can walk within 2m of a causalty with out seeing them - especially at night or in woodland. I've see it done several times.

jungle_re

Settler
Oct 6, 2008
Cotswolds
not sure how good it would be in the UK as non/ very few MRTs (not sure about ALSAR teams) use the receivers etc for these.

Also even if they did you can walk within 2m of a causalty with out seeing them - especially at night or in woodland. I've see it done several times.

The fastfind has a strobe function. In fairness when i get one it would be silly not to carry it when out but this is mainly for when on overseas expeditions/trips and when working offshore.

EdS

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
The fastfind has a strobe function. In fairness when i get one it would be silly not to carry it when out but this is mainly for when on overseas expeditions/trips and when working offshore.

Seems fair enough then.
Strobes are good - and it is suprising how good a decent whistle is for getting attention and guiding people once in the locality.

Mikey P

Nov 22, 2003
Glasgow, Scotland
I have no experience of the civilian Fastfind kit, only the SPOT. THe SPOT I think is geared more for land use and for hikers/mountaineers rather than professional mariners/offshore workers.

It can take some time to acquire and, when you want to send a message, it can take a good view of the sky for 10 to 15 mins to send the 'OK' and 'In Trouble' messages. The chipset does not acquire as quickly as the more modern SIRFs in Garmins and the like.

They have just released a new, smaller model but I don't know if they've changed the chipset.

It's fine for what I want it for - sends an OK message to the missus, makes her feel better when I'm out and about somewhere remote. Not sure it's what you're looking for, though.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE