Far Eastern Fells

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Headshed

Forager
Nov 17, 2011
Warwick
Great trip report and pictures. I've been keen to try the packit Gourmet food ever since I saw Shug rave about them on his video's, I've not found a distributor over here and I'm not sure if they're allowed to ship to the UK either, still I want to try them! Nice to see the Duo Mid and Trailstar back to back to compare footprint size, looking forward to getting out again in my TS.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Great trip report and pictures. I've been keen to try the packit Gourmet food ever since I saw Shug rave about them on his video's, I've not found a distributor over here and I'm not sure if they're allowed to ship to the UK either, still I want to try them! Nice to see the Duo Mid and Trailstar back to back to compare footprint size, looking forward to getting out again in my TS.

Thanks mate

I'm going to get in touch with Packit Gourmet and see what we can do, there's a couple of us already who are interested in a bit of a bulk order, I can keep you in the loop if you like. I've got a few other flavours to try yet but that gumbo was something else.

I've put a link in the OP to a kit list I've been working on, hopefully it'll work

Headshed

Forager
Nov 17, 2011
Warwick
Oh yes please, keep me in the loop. I've been experimenting with freezer bag cooking, but to be honest if I can get away with the lazy option of buying reasonably priced dehydrated food then I'll take it. I've been toying with trying Fuzion foods as well, any experience with them? Which are you preferring TS or DM?

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
Fingers crossed as their shipping prices at the moment are crazy expensive.
My intended order was for 5 days food for 2 persons, so i figured i'd just buy a couple just to try to see what the shipping costs were on smaller order.

4 x Jump-Start Fruit Smoothies
2 x Big'un Burrito
Total price $38.94

Cheapest shipping option to the UK (USPS Priority Mail International) $51.40

:eek:

To put that into perspective my Tarptent SS2 was $50 shipping

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
The Gumbo sounds very good. I don't think I tried it, quite enjoyed the Turmat beef stew though.

Gumbo seems pretty straightforward to replicate at home, I'm not far off on a few of my stew mixes. Just need a couple more exotic herbs and some Ocra. (Should have got some off Red :rolleyes:)

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
I've put a link in the OP to a kit list I've been working on, hopefully it'll work

Nice breakdown on the gear, Rich. You have some sweet ultralight gear that you use, 19 lbs 6 oz is impressive with consumables. Thanks for taking the time to put the chart up!:You_Rock_

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
The Gumbo sounds very good. I don't think I tried it, quite enjoyed the Turmat beef stew though.

Gumbo seems pretty straightforward to replicate at home, I'm not far off on a few of my stew mixes. Just need a couple more exotic herbs and some Ocra. (Should have got some off Red :rolleyes:)

You did have a taste of the gumbo, some of the juice anyway :) It looked like any other dried food but I think it was the turkey broth and the roux which made the difference, and the tabasco just to give it that New Orleans soul :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Oh yes please, keep me in the loop. I've been experimenting with freezer bag cooking, but to be honest if I can get away with the lazy option of buying reasonably priced dehydrated food then I'll take it. I've been toying with trying Fuzion foods as well, any experience with them? Which are you preferring TS or DM?

I don't think it'll end up particularly cheap but you're getting the best trekking meals I've ever tried. Not tried the Fuzion meals yet, I nearly bought some a few years ago but wen t down the DIY route instead. I think they went quiet for a while but now their website is showing a full range of meals. I think Real Turmat and Fuzion are about the best we can get over here.

It's too early to say yet on the TS or DM, my gut is saying TS but I need more nights in the DM really. Both have their pros and cons

Fingers crossed as their shipping prices at the moment are crazy expensive.
My intended order was for 5 days food for 2 persons, so i figured i'd just buy a couple just to try to see what the shipping costs were on smaller order.

4 x Jump-Start Fruit Smoothies
2 x Big'un Burrito
Total price $38.94

Cheapest shipping option to the UK (USPS Priority Mail International) $51.40

:eek:

To put that into perspective my Tarptent SS2 was $50 shipping

If they'll ship a bulk order for $50 then it won't work out too bad between us. I'll see what they say

Nice breakdown on the gear, Rich. You have some sweet ultralight gear that you use, 19 lbs 6 oz is impressive with consumables. Thanks for taking the time to put the chart up!:You_Rock_

Cheers Gordy, I think I could get the weight lower if I lived over there :)

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
You did have a taste of the gumbo, some of the juice anyway :) It looked like any other dried food but I think it was the turkey broth and the roux which made the difference, and the tabasco just to give it that New Orleans soul :)

I'm thinking a little Knorr Turkey stock pot or one of the jelly packets might be an easy way to replicate.

Yep, I remember tasting it now. :eek:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Just looking at more PHD stuff :rolleyes:

Nearly £500 to drop 200g off the pack weight, somebody needs to have a word with me I think :)

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire

Nearly £500 to drop 200g off the pack weight, somebody needs to have a word with me I think :)

Word incoming, I'm scared your going to blow away in the wind. ;)

I'm waiting for Palcohol to come out, it'll halve my pack weight in one go.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece

Quality stuff and a great company to deal with though.
Got a Ultra down pullover and a Minimus sleeping bag from them, absolutely fantastic kit

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Quality stuff and a great company to deal with though.
Got a Ultra down pullover and a Minimus sleeping bag from them, absolutely fantastic kit

I've got the Ultra smock and their Minim 300 bag, plus a pair of down booties. I was looking at the Wafer jacket and the Minim Ultra bag, lots of pennies to shave a few grams though. I might drop them an email and see if they'll do me Wafer smock instead of the jacket :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire

Teepee

Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
Lol, I've got some good pegs though :)

I wouldn't hold your breath on the Palcohol dude ..

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/640801-palcohol-powdered-alcohol-loses-federal-approval/

But don't give up hope just yet, freeze dried red wine ..

http://notesfromthebartender.wordpr...od-news-for-campers-warning-bear-photo-ahead/

I found some chewable rice wine aswell, sounds rank. Some Beer too, someone is developing a UL carbonator.

I thought it was a wind up (powdered plonk) but apparently the tech is 40 years old.

cbr6fs

Native
Mar 30, 2011
Athens, Greece
I've got the Ultra smock and their Minim 300 bag, plus a pair of down booties. I was looking at the Wafer jacket and the Minim Ultra bag, lots of pennies to shave a few grams though. I might drop them an email and see if they'll do me Wafer smock instead of the jacket :)

Can't say i've had a problem in warmer temps with the Minimus, i bought one with a full length zip so use it as a quilt in warmer weather.
345g for a 8c bag is bloody tempting though, my Minimus weighs 549g, that's 200g right there, plus i'm guessing your 300 is a little more, i can see the temptation.

40g weight saving for the wafer jacket doesn't seem to be worth it though, you lose 5c rating as well.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Can't say i've had a problem in warmer temps with the Minimus, i bought one with a full length zip so use it as a quilt in warmer weather.
345g for a 8c bag is bloody tempting though, my Minimus weighs 549g, that's 200g right there, plus i'm guessing your 300 is a little more, i can see the temptation.

40g weight saving for the wafer jacket doesn't seem to be worth it though, you lose 5c rating as well.

My Minim 300 tips the scales at 566g and good for -5c, in fact I've been slightly lower in it and been fine.

40, it all counts :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE