Far Eastern Fells

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Excellent report. Love the photos, and the fox story. I'm a plantar fasciitis sufferer myself and it is literally a pain.

Looks like a great weekend.

Andy was in some serious pain and I felt for him, I've got a few ailments I need to get right before the big walk too, in my late thirties and I'm falling to bits already :)

s'étonner;1503467 said:
Great report Shewie. Some of those views look stunning. Shame about the cheeky fox, but at least you didn't have to go hungry for too long!

Any chance you could post a bit of a rough kit list? :)

Thanks mate, I'm glad the fox turned up on the last night and not the first, I did have an encounter with a wee mouse at camp one though, but he was just cute and wasn't going to run off with my new pack :)

I'll add a kit list to the OP, just going over the inlaws for the afternoon but I'll do it this evening.

Great pics and an interesting story. Bloody foxes!

Can't wait to do something similar.

Cheers Rich

Thanks for sharing Shewie :)

How did you get on with your Mid, Do you prefer that or your TS?

I'm waiting for my TS to arrive atm, only been a couple of weeks but feels like months. Was going to wait for it to arrive before I attempt another hike/camp but think I'll get out in my sil-minipeak as only used it once since getting it and that was in woods.

Cheers Adam, it was a lovely warm up trip.

I think the TS and DM both have their places, the DM certainly needs a smaller footprint but it's a lot more fussy about the evenness of the ground, it's nice to open the front out completely and take in the views. I found the central pole to be more of burden in the DM than it is in the TS, it just seems to get in the way a bit more whereas with the TS you've got much more room to move around it. Pack size is very similar with a slight weight saving on the DM.

Good luck with your order, I hope it arrives much quicker than mine did :)

Thanks for sharing, that's one cheeky fox !

A cheeky and lucky fox :)

ADz-1983

Native
Oct 4, 2012
Hull / East Yorkshire
Cheers Adam, it was a lovely warm up trip.

I think the TS and DM both have their places, the DM certainly needs a smaller footprint but it's a lot more fussy about the evenness of the ground, it's nice to open the front out completely and take in the views. I found the central pole to be more of burden in the DM than it is in the TS, it just seems to get in the way a bit more whereas with the TS you've got much more room to move around it. Pack size is very similar with a slight weight saving on the DM.

Good luck with your order, I hope it arrives much quicker than mine did :)

Yeah the Mid seems very similar to the minipeak and understand about the pole been a bit of a pain. However coming from a coffin style tent like the Zephyros (Which is a great tent though) the room increase and pack/weight loss is great :)

I'm itching to get out in it again but more so for the TS once it arrives. Fingers crossed on the dispatch time and the customs lottery :)

Last edited:

GordonM

Settler
Nov 11, 2008
Virginia, USA
Sweet report Rich! Beautiful area and some fabulous views! Ha ha, that fox seemed to be very skilled at the 'fell walker camp raid' mission contingency.;) Bold as brass it was! I shared this thread with my wife and she wanted me to ask you what the piece of equipment is that you used under your kip mat that is black and has little walls / sides? I reckon that Pete's previous foot injury did not cause him much of an issue on this outing?

Thanks for sharing the trip with us.

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
Good stuff Shewie, looks like a good trip :)

I've just got home from the Southern Fells, also a little sunburnt! Have heard a few fox stories from Angle Tarn!

Good to see the Duomid got it's first outing, you find the new pack comfy?

Matt

Teepee

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 15, 2010
Northamptonshire
A great weekend with great company once again. :)

Thanks Andy and Rich, loved it. :cool:

A few pics from me;

FOXY.jpg

The foot held up fine after the scald injury. A bit of discomfort but nothing bad.

Roll on the next trip!

Last edited:

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Looks great Rich, some cracking weather and scenery. Bet that fox raid got your heart racing!

Cheers Kit, yeah you could say that, running around in the dark in your base layers and socks is never pleasant :)

Great report mate! That fox is a great memory too,cheeky little beggar!

It's a good job we've no bears eh lads lol. Valuable and fortunately not life threatening lesson there for all. A missing food bag , water bottle or 1st aid kit could have spelled disaster had you been further afield .
Great little write up . Cheers

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Great report and stunning views, thanks for sharing.

Cheers lads

Good pics Rich, bet your glad I woke you for the sunrise!!!, was a very nice weekend with excellent company, thanks chaps.

Andy

Glad you could make it Andy, good to see you again. Let's hope the rest of the year plays out like the weekend

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Great trip report I've enjoyed some of those hills forgive ignorance they are some great looking shelters can you name them I'm assuming the green coloured is the Cuban fibre mentioned what are the others especially the tipi with porch shaped one?? Thanks great weather for your trip and the fox obviously knows where to head for the chance of leftovers....

Sent from somewhere?

Glad you liked the pics mate, the shelters are Mountain Laurel Designs cuben fiber DuoMid (green one), MLD Trailstar (brown one) and the tarp was a DIY job by Pete

Great pics, thanks for posting.

Glad to see that I am not the only one here who uses two walking poles. :)

Thanks mate, I'm really liking the poles as I get older, a major help on the hills for me

Looks like a nice walk. Although you don't very often come across foxes where I am dingos tend to be the bugger to run off with you goodies and food.

It was a nice few days, very unlike the Lake District with the sun and blue skies :)

Yeah the Mid seems very similar to the minipeak and understand about the pole been a bit of a pain. However coming from a coffin style tent like the Zephyros (Which is a great tent though) the room increase and pack/weight loss is great :)

I'm itching to get out in it again but more so for the TS once it arrives. Fingers crossed on the dispatch time and the customs lottery :)

Good luck on the import tax, hopefully Ron will have done you a favour too ;)

Sweet report Rich! Beautiful area and some fabulous views! Ha ha, that fox seemed to be very skilled at the 'fell walker camp raid' mission contingency.;) Bold as brass it was! I shared this thread with my wife and she wanted me to ask you what the piece of equipment is that you used under your kip mat that is black and has little walls / sides? I reckon that Pete's previous foot injury did not cause him much of an issue on this outing?

Thanks for sharing the trip with us.

Thanks Gordy, that black thing is a little single person bathtub groundsheet to put under my bivvy on. It's made from a fabric called Chikara which is very slippery, especially when you put and silnylon based bivvy bag on top, it's something I need to have further testing with, if the ground is slightly uneven there's a tendency to slide about.

weekender

Feb 26, 2006
Cambridge
Thanks Shewie and thanks for the trip report an epic adventure as my old walking mate would say, he now lives in Ambleside.

Sent from somewhere?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Good stuff Shewie, looks like a good trip :)

I've just got home from the Southern Fells, also a little sunburnt! Have heard a few fox stories from Angle Tarn!

Good to see the Duomid got it's first outing, you find the new pack comfy?

Matt

The new pack was really nice mate, I got a bit sore on the collar bones after the first day but that was just getting used to it, I was fine after that. I'm really liking the hybrid cuben, it's fox proof so that's a good indicator :)

The DM was good too, the first time I pitched it up in Scotland on a day hike the ground was like a bowling green, after the first pitch at the weekend I realised it needs a bit more care in site selection, no biggy though and the second night it was drum tight.

Great trip report, many thanks for sharing. :)

Cheers Martin

A great weekend with great company once again. :)

Thanks Andy and Rich, loved it. :cool:

The foot held up fine after the scald injury. A bit of discomfort but nothing bad.

Roll on the next trip!

Glad you could make it mate, it was a good time. Nice to see the tarp, very tidy job indeed.

Love that fox pic, I think I can see a bit of 3-in-1 stuck in it's teeth

theoctagon

Nomad
Sep 3, 2010
Yorkshire
The new pack was really nice mate, I got a bit sore on the collar bones after the first day but that was just getting used to it, I was fine after that. I'm really liking the hybrid cuben, it's fox proof so that's a good indicator :)

The DM was good too, the first time I pitched it up in Scotland on a day hike the ground was like a bowling green, after the first pitch at the weekend I realised it needs a bit more care in site selection, no biggy though and the second night it was drum tight...

I was hoping you were going to tell me it was awful so I wouldn't be tempted by it any longer :confused:

Yeah the DM is a bit fussy isn't it, the flatter the better, still some flexibility to it's pitch though. I rate mine, just not as good as the TS in the wind. Is nice to have a full door for a bit of a change.

You planning on using bivy for the CWT? Going in midge season?

Hope your CWT trip will produce another epic thread like your TGO one :)

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
Yeah the DM is a bit fussy isn't it, the flatter the better, still some flexibility to it's pitch though. I rate mine, just not as good as the TS in the wind. Is nice to have a full door for a bit of a change.

You planning on using bivy for the CWT? Going in midge season?

Hope your CWT trip will produce another epic thread like your TGO one :)

I think I just need to practice with the DM a bit more, the TS took a few goes before I realised how to get it dialed in just right. I had the front wide open on Friday night, only closing half after getting up for a pee at some point, it's nice to lie in bed and have the full view. How do they handle when the wind does pick up? I noticed a bit of swaying at the pole top and a bit of flapping around the bottom edges when a stronger gust came through, I did have it wide open at the time though, I know when the door's shut it pulls it all tight again.

It's going to be a last minute decision on the bivvy vs inner I think, I've got a couple of Bear Paw inners which I need to test in both shelters, I should've taken them this weekend really with Andy having his TS out. One is solid sil and the other is the Serenity I grabbed on here a few weeks ago. I've not tried either yet, I'm hoping the Serenity fits in both, I'm sure I can make it work with a bot of fettling. I really like the bivvy though, and lifting up the hood works well for sleep time, I think with the inner you've got better day time options if it's buggy. I'll be testing the various combos over the summer but I know I've got some good options come decision time.

I'll be planning and sharing the CWT again, I just love a list :) And knowing me I'll take loads of pics on the way :)

fluffkitten

Mar 8, 2014
Nottingham
That was just brilliant. Great pics and post, the fox story has me grinning and remembering a similar cheeky fox raiding my camp a few years back. :D

Trunks

May 31, 2008
Haworth
Superb report & pics Rich (and your too Pete :)

The fox! That made me laugh, I could imagine you giving chase after your new pack :)

Was the pack big enough for you? The colours look cool.

If it's rubbing on your collar bone, can you adjust the weight lifters to take the strap away from the shoulder? Like yo say, might just be getting used to the new bag - apart from that, how'd you find it?

I like the tub too - i need one for the TS but there's too many to choose from...

WULF

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Mar 19, 2012
South Yorkshire
Some greats pics there Rich and looks like a great time you've all had,we've just got back from kendal.The weathers been great all weekend.:)
We did a couple of family walks but relied on the sister in law's knowledge so cant remember where we walked:rolleyes: A great trip.

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
That was just brilliant. Great pics and post, the fox story has me grinning and remembering a similar cheeky fox raiding my camp a few years back. :D

Thanks fluffkitten, the fox was a first for me. I might have to get one of those fishing waistcoats, stuff all my food in the pockets and sleep in it :)

Superb report & pics Rich (and your too Pete :)

The fox! That made me laugh, I could imagine you giving chase after your new pack :)

Was the pack big enough for you? The colours look cool.

If it's rubbing on your collar bone, can you adjust the weight lifters to take the strap away from the shoulder? Like yo say, might just be getting used to the new bag - apart from that, how'd you find it?

I like the tub too - i need one for the TS but there's too many to choose from...

I got my bed socks wet chasing the swine, that's half the reason I stayed up :)

The pack was huge, plenty big enough and should be good right through winter with heavier loads. I'm really happy with the pockets, they came out really well and look good in the matching green.

I think the straps are quite firm, it's just going to take a few trips before they form for my shape I think, plus I'm a skinny runt again at the moment so need to put a bit more padding on :)

Great report and pics, I enjoyed that. Love the Fox pic. Thanks for posting.

Cheers Colin

Some greats pics there Rich and looks like a great time you've all had,we've just got back from kendal.The weathers been great all weekend.:)
We did a couple of family walks but relied on the sister in law's knowledge so cant remember where we walked:rolleyes: A great trip.

It's nice to get good weather in the Lakes, it's a beautiful part of the world when it's not raining. Were you camping with the family?

Shewie

Mod
Mod
Dec 15, 2005
Yorkshire
That looks great Rich, it's been a long time since I was on the eastern fells. Typical of me though, the best Easter in the lakes for years and I'm in Ireland. .....

I even managed to get sun burnt on my nose it was that nice, Angle tarn was a sun trap Saturday afternoon.

The eastern fells are the easiest for me to get to so they've been a favourite for a long time, it's nice to stand on High Street and see the rest of the Lakeland tops in front of you

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE