Fan bird - from 'A fun challenge'

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
As a carpenters apprentice, I get to see first hand that its very rarely a tool that messes up the job, its always human error. .

You can't say that - you're taking away all my excuses!!!:)

PS especially on this site you can't say that - what excuse will people have to buy lots of new shiny things??? :)

Last edited:

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
Well ... still experimenting with various things.

Main one at moment is rigginig up a shaving horse, similar to the one in the video:

http://flash.unctv.org/woodwrightss/2800/wws_2808.html
It was even easier that I thought it would be.

I found a suitable piece of wood for the 'seat' in the part of the garage reserved for 'things that might come in useful one day' (that would be the whole of the garage then), used a piece of scrap as the 'stop', held it in place with two clamps and put two nails in it to act as a stop when sawing wood.

When I am happy with general positioning I might go all professional and fix the scrap wood to the seat with some screws.

I didn't have two tree trunks like the American guy so I used two old tripod seats on which to rest the plank.

It looks like this:

CIMG6584.JPG

I rigged it up and used it this afternoon for my next bit of fan carving.

The key thing is that it made removal of wood much, much easier even though I was still using a Mora. This type of saw horse is clearly little use for advanced work on things like chair legs but for the stuff I am doing it is brilliant and takes up no extra space when not in use (as all the separate bits were in the garage anyway, and they are still separate).

At the moment the only change I would make is to put the two nails further apart - they are only an inch apart at the moment (about same as in the video I think) but the piece of wood you are sawing moves around when doing the actual sawing. So about 4 - 5 inches would probably be about right.

As forewarned - this is becoming a bit addictive. Previously when I have been in this position ie developing a strong interest in something - work always got in the way. Now I am retired it will be interesting to see how this one goes ......

Taffy63

Forager
May 18, 2009
Vale of Glamorgan
You really are getting into this, it's great to see such enthusiasm! Looking forward to seeing more fans from you, I just hope I haven't created a monster that eats up all your spare time!:)

2sheds

May 19, 2011
down Gower
i rarely come here but i had a flurry of fan bird carving before Xmas. i had not made any before and i have to say experimenting and deviating from the instructions teaches you a lot.
some good birds on here.

experiement with varieties of green wood - i do not boil at all (i did for the 1st one and could not see the benefit), it seemed a shame to steam up the kitchen!

Elines

Oct 4, 2008
Leicestershire
You really are getting into this, it's great to see such enthusiasm! Looking forward to seeing more fans from you, I just hope I haven't created a monster that eats up all your spare time!:)

I'm deliberately having a day off fan carving tomorrow so that I can have a go at something else - making a meths stove (I lead an exciting life:))

.............................. experimenting and deviating from the instructions teaches you a lot. .........................experiement with varieties of green wood - i do not boil at all (i did for the 1st one and could not see the benefit), it seemed a shame to steam up the kitchen!

Yes - experimenting is a lot of the fun - even when it doesn't really work - like today when I had a go at making a fan with wood that was thicker than suggested - made it too difficult to get thin rives - but it's all good practice

As regards boiling I think I will stick with it for the time being as I am getting reasonable results - I might try missing it out later but as I am only using scrap wood rather than freshly cut wood that is not likely to be sometime soon

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE