Fallkniven NL4 irregular lamination line

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.
Oct 9, 2021
earth
Hello,
I just received this Fallkniven NL4, and as you can see, the lamination line is irregular, not parrallel to the edge.
Is this kind of irregularity usual? Or should I send it back to vendor, considering it as a manufacturing failure?
Thank you for your advice.

nl4-pic1.jpg

Nov 25, 2020
Grimsby
My friend has two or three Fallkniven and none have a 'wavy' Lamination line, I own a few Cold Steel San Mai and the Lamination line is not symmetrical, but it is straight, myself I would ask for an exchange.

gra_farmer

Mar 29, 2016
Kent
I have seen irregular lamination on the grinds on the fallkniven u4 wolf and U2, it happens, but if not happy send it back for another

C_Claycomb

Moderator staff
Mod
Oct 6, 2003
Bedfordshire
If it bothers you for cosmetic reasons, send it back.

Is the wave on both sides of the blade or only one side? If it is on one side only it suggests a very small waver in grinding. If there is a corresponding dip in the lamination line on the other side it suggests that the steel got a tiny wobble at the welding stage. Neither will cause any performance problems.

If there is a wave that small in the grind you might call that a manufacturing fault or flaw, but I think calling it a failure is going too far.

This thread has a reply from Fallkniven from long ago regarding symmetry of the lamination line.

Oct 9, 2021
earth
Thank you guys for the advices.
Regarding the question about the other side of the blade, the lamination line is not perfectly straight either, but the curves are not so big as on the main side. It would not bother me if both sides were like this.
But the curves on the main side was the first thing I saw when I unboxed it, ant that disappointed me a bit. I chose this knife because I pay a lot of attention to the cosmetic.
See here the other side:
nl4-other-side.jpg

demographic

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Apr 15, 2005
-------------
If you use the knife instead of keeping it in a drawer and just looking at it you will eventually sharpen it to the point where that lamination line differs a fair bit from when it was new. My lovely little U2 is considerably different from when I bought it. Its still a great knife.

But if it's the kind of thing that will ruin your enjoyment of it then swap it out.
Just don't leave it in a drawer though eh?

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
It wouldn't disturb me if it was cheaper but at this price point I also wouldn't accept it.

Billy-o

Native
Apr 19, 2018
Canada
I think if you don't like it, send it back. The wavy lamination line won't hurt in practical terms, but then again if you just wanted something to cut with, there are many way cheaper options. If you aren't absolutely happy, return it for a refund, credit or replacement.

Though I have to say that dealing with Fallkniven directly over failings in their manufactures, I have had some pretty unpleasant exchanges. Ask the people you bought it from.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
If not, get a different one.

Erbswurst

Mar 5, 2018
Berlin
Oh, I never thought about that, but it's absolutely right!

(Especially because a lot of Fjällkniven knives aren't everybody's cup of tea.)

Murat_Cyp

Forager
Sep 16, 2020
Bristol
In my opinion, not acceptable for a knife at this price range. I would return it immediately. I had an F1 and the lamination line was even. It is very interesting how they can sell knives costing that much like that! I do not think they can somehow skip the quality control for such an expensive series. I would understand if they miss such production error in quality control in a cheap knife selling thousands of every month. But I do not imagine this knife selling that much making proper quality control impossible.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
If you don't like a wavy weld line, never buy a handmade laminated blade!

The straightness of the line is down to even pressure, even thickness and even temperature when being welded and then subsequent forgings. So the idea of a straight line is pretty much hypothetical I would say! Chances are that the way the factory does it does make it much more uniform, but there are always going to be variances in the temperature of the material (even 50 degrees will affect the plasticity).

The ONLY way that a solidly laminated core could be considered a flaw is if it has ended up not at the cutting edge, which will more likely be down to irregular grinding (and from a factory made blade I would think that very difficult to achieve that much irregularity)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE