Fallkniven F1 VS Koster Bushcraft Gen3_long test

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Alfredo

Settler
Oct 25, 2009
ITALY (ALPS)
Hi all,
would like to compare 2 of my favourites 4", Fallkniven F1 and Koster Bushcraft

This is just the beginning, I will take data by future tests and on my next trips in the woods and I'll post them step by step.

Lets' start whit specs:
Fallkniven F1
Total length:210 mm (8.3")
Blade length:97 mm (3.8")
Blade thickness:4.5 mm (0.18"), tapered
Tang: Broad, protruding tang
Weight (knife):150 g (6oz)
Steel: Lam. VG10
Blade hardness:59 HRC
Handle: Thermorun
Sheath: zytel sheath
Koster Bushcraft Gen3
OAL: 21,27 cm (8 3/8")
Blade:9,8 cm 3 (7/8" scandi grind)
Blade Thickness: 3,7 mm (0.145")
Steel: CPM154
Hardness: 59-60rc
Weight (knife):170 g (6,1oz)
Tang: full tang
Sheath: kydex + leather

First look:

as you may see dimensions of knives are almost equal. F1 has a blade wider than KB, also the F1 show a classic straightback blade, KB a drop point blade. Both knives show a lanyard hole.

Handles are really different, F1 a plastic handle that show a sort of "scurfs" to improve the grip, KB a natural micarta contoured handle.

The handle are really differents also from a back point a view, KB is quite wider in front to the F1 handle

same from a belly point a view

This pic show lanyard holes and tangs. As you may see the F1 tang is protruding from the handle, and you may see also the different position of the lanyard holes

Steels used are VG10 for F1 and 154CPM for KB

By Wikipedia, VG-10 stands for V Gold 10 ("gold" meaning quality), or sometimes V-Kin-10 (kin means "gold" in Japanese), and is a quality cutlery grade stainless steel produced in Japan. Takefu Special Steel co.,Ltd, based in Takefu, Fukui Prefecture, Japan (former cutlery/sword-making center of Echizen) originally designed VG-10 stainless steel. VG-10's initial market was aimed at Japanese chefs, but found its home in sport cutlery. VG-10 is a unique formulation of steel with a high carbon content. It contains various amounts of one or more of the following: Chromium, Vanadium, Molybdenum and Cobalt. High-quality kitchen cutlery, like chefs' knives, are usually what is made with VG-10. VG-10 is considered a "super steel," because it is designed to maintain sharpness and durability without becoming brittle, a major fault normally associated with exceptionally hard steel. This quality is ideal when extreme sharpness is desired, as most other steels will not take or keep an edge like VG-10. In addition to its exceptional edge retention, being a stainless steel, VG-10 is also surprisingly corrosion resistant (generally high-carbon steels are more prone to rust). This is mainly due to its fairly high chromium content.
VG-10 chemical makeup: Carbon:1.0% Chromium:15.0% Molybdenum:1.0% V:0.2% Cobalt:1.5%

As far as I may find about CPM154 ("Blade" - April 2010: this steel come from from Admiral also comes from Crucible. Crucible steel had a theory that,by recreating 154CM using the CPM process,not only would CPM 154 be easier for knifemakers to finish & polish to a high sheen,but it would also be tougher than 154CM,even though the elemental makeup of the two steels is identical. Another quote: Tests from our research facility in Pittsburgh show that CPM 154 is twice as tough as 154CM, Devanna notes " It suprised everybody. We knew it would improve toughness ,but we didnt know it would be that much".
Any further comments I found about this steel stands that "CPM154 is not as wear resistant as S30V but fairly close. A bit better than VG-10 and better than A-2. It will take a finer edge than D-2.It is better than 154CM of course and the equivalent ATS-34. CPM154 is equivalent to the European RWL-34." Finally, by Crucible CPM154 data-sheet (you may find this on the net): Carbon 1.05% Chromium 14.00% Molybdenum 4.00%

Alfredo

TO BE CONTINUED

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE