Fake Crusader Gear?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Prophecy

Settler
Dec 12, 2007
Italy
I purchased a complete Crusader cooking set about a month ago via eBay. I think I paid about £25/£30 for the set. This included the bottle, plastic cup, metal cup, cooker and crappy plastic lid. (He actually threw in a cup holder as well) It appears to be made by BCB.

On comparing my set to my mates new set which is NATO (I think), there are some differences.

His water bottle is a bit bigger than mine, and more of a shiny finish. Mine seems to be just as strong though, just a tad smaller.

Also his plastic mig has got the same shiny finish, and is considerably more rigid and stronger than mine.

The metal items (mug and cooker) are the same - except mine says it's made by BCB. The plastic bottle, being smaller - doesn't quite fit snug into the metal mug, or the plastic cup doesn't fir snug on the top either.

I'm just wondering is this normal for a BCB Crusader set, or are there a lot of clones going around evilbay? :thanks:

Angus Og

Nov 6, 2004
Glasgow
There are copies from the far east on the market.

IMG_0676.jpg

You should look for something like this bottle.

And the cup.
IMG_0679.jpg

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
See, my bottle has no writing on it at all! :eek:

As far as I know webtex make a cheap copy of the bottle and mug - which I suspect you have. They are smaller than the issue item - i.e. you can put the bottle in a crusader mug and it won't "grip" it - its rattles around inside.

Slightly flimiser too - my mates one lasted about 2 days before the plastic connector from the bottle lid to the mug snapped (it also wasn't NBC compatible).

Hope that helps.

Barn Owl

Old Age Punk
Apr 10, 2007
Ayrshire
Some copies have the nato numbers on them but no date or the Osprey name,most are slightly smaller and stink of that plastic smell.
I've found originals don't have that smell,well certainly not too noticeable.

The copies do hold water ok though.

Beer Monster

Need to contact Admin...
Aug 25, 2004
With the gnu!
The copies do hold water ok though.

True - my mates hasn't leaked yet and took a bit of a battering. He got it from Leith Army Stores in Edinburgh - you can see a photo here. To be fair they didn't claim it was an issue item (as you can see from the photo no markings at all) and infact it came wrapped in a plastic packet with the manufactures name on it i.e Webtex ....... now that I think about it it may have been Highlander or Tracpac .... not sure.

Zammo

Settler
Jul 29, 2006
London
I have a clone one too, it kept leaking until I reshaped the screw thread so it was securing itself better. Mine seems to be more stubby than an Osprey but fits fine with the Crusader mug, plastic cup (which it came with) and metal lid (cheers Warthog).

Prophecy

Settler
Dec 12, 2007
Italy
Slightly flimiser too - my mates one lasted about 2 days before the plastic connector from the bottle lid to the mug snapped (it also wasn't NBC compatible).

Yep, my plastic mug is alot weaker. I can actually squeeze it when I use my thumb and forefinger. I can't even make my mates one budge!

I'm not that concerned for now, as I may not use any of them. I just made a Hobo stove (Ikea drainer) which BTW fits perfectly in a Web-Tex PLCE pouch, and I got an Alpkit Titanium mug too - so I doubt I'll use any of it - might just sell it all soon.

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
I had the same problem, bought what looked from the photo to be genuine osprey but turned out to be a copy (I think it was highlander). Its still okay but the strength is nowhere close to the osprey. Look at the seal in the cap too, the copies often have a flimsy thin little card seal that'll go in no time. The osprey bottles have a chunky red rubber seal that lasts donkeys.

You should be able to stand on a genuine bottle without it budging, some of the copies just collapse, mines not too bad, it depresses a little bit.

Prophecy

Settler
Dec 12, 2007
Italy
You should be able to stand on a genuine bottle without it budging, some of the copies just collapse, mines not too bad, it depresses a little bit.

Yup, that's just like mine - depresses a wee bit. I doubt I'll ever have to stand on it again though, so I'm not really worried. :D

mick miller

Jan 4, 2008
Herts.
Should be okay then, you can most likely get a genuine top from a surplus store, then you have a perfectly functional bottle with a good seal too.

Mine does have numbers stamped on and seems to fit the accessories okay, I replaced the top and it's good to go.

EDIT - THOSE WONDERFUL FOLK AT ENDICOTT'S SELL REPLACEMENT LIDS!!

Prophecy

Settler
Dec 12, 2007
Italy
I found the ebay auction that I bought mine from!

Have a look and see what you think. He states that it's BCB gear, but also provides a NATO stock number - NSN-CN721-313. :dunno:

tecNik

Tenderfoot
Aug 31, 2006
Leicestershire, UK
deadfish.co.uk

Prophecy

Settler
Dec 12, 2007
Italy
Thanks Alan. I really should have picked up on that before buying...:eek: :eek:

So what is BCB then? Is the bottle just an unknown knock off?

For the price though, I'm fairly happy with it to be honest!

tecNik

Tenderfoot
Aug 31, 2006
Leicestershire, UK
deadfish.co.uk
Still looks like a good deal to me. I have a BCB 58 and a copy 58 and as I said, the only difference is size. The copy is just as good.
INCLUDED in this AUCTION = YOU GET CRUSADER COOKING DISH + CRUSADER CUP + FREE 58 pattern style WATER BOTTLE WITH CUP.

Water bottle/cup fits inside crusader cup which fits inside cruader cooker which can all fit inside a Water Pouch PLCE (not supplied)

Can be used with 58 or 90 Pattern water bottle
So I'd say everything is BCB but the bottle and one of the cups. If you're really bothered about the extra 0.15L of water you could carry with a BCB 58 pattern then ebay yourself one and replace the copy.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE