fAK don't over fill

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Widgy grub

Tenderfoot
Jun 28, 2012
Lincolnshire
Was out for a day in the woods at the week end... Just fluffing up some birch bark and caught the end if my finger..... Doh !!!!
Pressure / elevation...... But with one hand found it awkward to get the items I wanted out of my FAK,
I thought Ide mention it as I know how prepped we all are and like to pack things to the max !!!!!

Hedgecrafter

Nomad
Feb 23, 2014
Suffolk
That's why I always have a bandana or bandage in my right leg pocket when using a knife or axe. It's generally going to be the left hand you injure so it's accessible with the right.

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
over the years I've become quite adept at tipping the contents of my first aid kit out with one hand! I've also got it packed so that the small and medium wound dressings are at the top and can be got at first ;) That is my pouch style FAK, which lives in my bag every day. My main FAKs in the workshop are box types with single layer compartments on either side and very handy clear plastic flaps over each half (they regularly get the blood cleaned off them :( )

Nov 29, 2004
Scotland
Day to day I carry a small Marks & Spencers mint box containing a basic FAK, I always make sure that there are a couple of band aids cut from a 3m roll ready for use at the top. There is also one wrapped in a bit polybag behind the velcro of my Leatherman sheath that I can shake out one handed if needed.

:)

Hedgecrafter

Nomad
Feb 23, 2014
Suffolk
Micro first aid kits are great for ticks and little problems.
If you are working with knives and axes in the woods your most likely going to need lots of bandages and not much else. I have a small medical pouch with creams, germoline, tick fork, tweezers etc, but my first aid kit is just lots and lots of bandages.

Last time I used a first aid kit in a real true emergency (as in, something life threatening) the bandages were filling up with blood before I could even tie a knot in them. I had three guys running around trying to find bandages and I was putting whole bandages in to a wound without unwrapping them. We used 35 bandages in the end. Some guy had tripped over and opened his lower leg on a bit of jagged metal.

Personally, I don't see the point of having a first aid kit if you can't fit several large bandages in it.
Take each thing in your first aid kit and ask yourself "is this going to save someone's life?"

Is it medical, or first aid?

Lots of survival websites will sell you all kinds of toot to go in a first aid kit.
The St. John's ambulance first aid kit has...
Large med small bandage
Triangle bandage
Burn cream
Scissors
Safety pins
Eye gauze
Microporous tape
Heat blanket
Plasters
Gloves

Anything else should really be in a separate medical kit.

Big Stu 12

Bushcrafter through and through
Jan 7, 2012
Ipswich
I carry a comprehensive FAK that is kept hanging from my tarp so easily accessible and visible to all on camp, most of the Suffolk Group Guys do this as well, so while about the camp there's always one near by, I must admit that mine is well packed in...

DSC_0098 - Copy.jpg

Saying that also have a small FAK on my belt in a Double Pouch, in that I carry a Medium Dressing, some plasters, a whistle and a pair of Nitrile Gloves, and in the other side I carry an Antibacterial Hand Gel.

DSC_0239.jpg

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
Like Stu I have an ouch pouch on my belt and my main one easily accessible at my pitch when out with the Suffolk group, when on my own the main one is in the top pocket of the bergen.

mrcharly

Bushcrafter (boy, I've got a lot to say!)
Jan 25, 2011
North Yorkshire, UK
Micro first aid kits are great for ticks and little problems.

Lots of survival websites will sell you all kinds of toot to go in a first aid kit.
The St. John's ambulance first aid kit has...
Large med small bandage
Triangle bandage
Burn cream
Scissors
Safety pins
Eye gauze
Microporous tape
Heat blanket
Plasters
Gloves

Anything else should really be in a separate medical kit.
You'd have been well served if you'd had a few sanitary pads with you. Use against the wound and almost anything else holding them in place to apply pressure. Plus they can be used for the purpose for which they are sold.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
You'd have been well served if you'd had a few sanitary pads with you. Use against the wound and almost anything else holding them in place to apply pressure. Plus they can be used for the purpose for which they are sold.

They do make a great cheap wound pad and they're sterile too, though some folk used to laugh when they saw them in my first aid kit. Have also heard of tampons being used to pack bullet wounds, but hopefully that shouldn't be a problem 'round here.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE