Fact or fiction?

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
Belly button fluff is something I use a lot for fire starting, but I don't get it from mine. I get it from the tumble dryer filters and you can collect quite a lot from one load. I speak nicely to SHMBO and she pops it in a plastic bag for me. I light realy easy from a firestick.

Can't comment on the raisin of a chord one.

falling rain

Native
Oct 17, 2003
Woodbury Devon
Belly button fluff is something I use a lot for fire starting, but I don't get it from mine. I get it from the tumble dryer filters and you can collect quite a lot from one load. I speak nicely to SHMBO and she pops it in a plastic bag for me. I light realy easy from a firestick.

Can't comment on the raisin of a chord one.

So it's not belly button fluff then is it if you get it from the tumble drier? :confused:

PJMCBear

Settler
May 4, 2006
Hyde, Cheshire
So it's not belly button fluff then is it if you get it from the tumble drier? :confused:

Ah, but it is the same texture and colour, and it comes from your clothes, so I'd say it's a pretty fair bet it's the same stuff. Mind you, I haven't been able to look into my belly button for a long time. :lmao:

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
BB fluff is different to the stuff in tumble driers, for a start off its got some of the oils from your skin (more like vas and cotton wool then lint)
Second, BB fluff is made by being a grubby little tike, TDL is from the opposite (I don't know about you lot, but my SOP won't stand for me even thinking about trying this out :D)

Pheasants are dumb, they've been selectively bred to think that the ONLY way to deal with a line of guns is to fly straight at them and hope to freak them out :D

How about this one.
You can use a rabbit snare to catch fish like pike. True or Not

Boon

Oct 10, 2007
lincolnshire
I always thought the paper cone was a myth

this does work, my grandad showed me this around 30 years ago, and we had the resulting catch for dinner. unfortunately he isnt with us anymore and i dealy wish he had writen down all he new, he was one of those people we call an old rouge. he was truley at one with nature, it is because of him that i am interested in the great outdoors

How about this one.
You can use a rabbit snare to catch fish like pike. True or Not

Mmmm as an avid diver I have problems imagining this.

A pike hunts differently then tunneling a rabbit I think. Stealthily waiting in reed areas to "shoot" out and catch their prey.

So if the snare is in the right place it might be working but.... I don't know...I just have difficulty to visualize this... mind you I do have a vivid imagination ;-)

Grtz Johan

ForgeCorvus

Nomad
Oct 27, 2007
norfolk
Its TRUE

You need a stout pole, the snare and a light like a burning torch or (as I was told) a carbide bike lamp

First, wait in the pub untill dusk, tie the snare to the end of the stick and then go home via the river bank (using your bike lamp to light your way), when you get to a place where the reeds are thick shine your light on the surface near the edge of the water (no further out the the lengh of your stick), when the pike sees the light on the surface he comes up to find out if its something he can eat, you then slip the noose over his head past the gills and pull it tight with a jerk. You can then lift your fish clean out of the water and onto the bank, give it 'last rites' and stick it inside your coat, untie your snare and put it in your pocket, continue home with your walking stick and lamp, you can not possibly be poaching as you have a light with you and no apparent means of catching anything :D

It should work with any kind of preditory fish......not that anyone HERE would do such a thing

elevenses

Forager
Jan 7, 2008
cheshire
Please, reveal some more "old wives tales!"

My granddad used to tell me that when he used to poach during the war that they used to bury corn beef tins (large catering ones from the mess) in the ground then spread corn around it and in it. When the pheasant eats the corn then drops into the tin to eat the rest you rush it, the bird is unable to open its wings so can not escape in time

He also used to talk about the string thing, I can’t confirm either though

Tor helge

Settler
May 23, 2005
Northern Norway
www.torbygjordet.com
Mmmm as an avid diver I have problems imagining this.

A pike hunts differently then tunneling a rabbit I think. Stealthily waiting in reed areas to "shoot" out and catch their prey.

So if the snare is in the right place it might be working but.... I don't know...I just have difficulty to visualize this... mind you I do have a vivid imagination ;-)

Grtz Johan

I have not heard about snaring fish passively as you do with a rabbit (or other game). But `ve seen fish get caught with a long pole with a wire snare on the end. The snare loop is moved over the fish from the back end and the pole is then jerked upwards snaring the fish.
It is not so much different from jigging (right word?) Salmon like we did as kids. The Salmon would sometimes stay still even if the hook (big treble hook) and line moved over its back, missing the fish.
Needless to say this is highly illegal.

Tor Helge

It is possible to snare fish passively by setting up a tension mechanism (bend branch, lever/fulcrum, etc) and by using a "two-hook" or similar trigger next to the water. Instead of a snare, you would tie a fishline and hook onto the trap. The fish bites the baited hook, and with a bit of luck gets stuck on the hook. when it tries to pull away it sets of the trigger, whereupon the trnsion mechanism pulls the fish out of the water.

You have to be an expert trap-builder to get any regular success with this, as your trigger needs to be hairsharp.

It is important to practise any traps you may need to rely on, so you can carve them within the space of a few minutes and know they work well enough to kill when needed, and not just injure (which is inhumane if it can be avoided with some practise). Injured animals will raise hell, and attract other predators within the space of minutes who will surely take away your meal before you get there.:confused:
Practise the use of traps by removing the lethal part. (Make the snare-part from sewing thread, remove the weight of deadfalls and replace with up-side-down box, etc...) Only then can you learn what works and doesn't and take away the myths surrounding some skills.

Reading over the previous posts though,.. some of the traps mentioned can't really seem to be tried out to dispell the myths without actually hurting / killing the guinea pigs involved (Provided the techniques work of course)

Regards,

Anthonio Akkermans

PS. I don't think BB-fluff will work, and if it did work, it would never be enough to spread the spark in time before it burns / melts out.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE