fabricated splitting wedges

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

grip

Forager
Nov 30, 2009
here and there
Having a big spruce log to split and no wedges i had a rake thru me scrap pile and welded a couple up.40x6 flat, first welded into a t shape then welded two bits down from the underside of the top of the t to about 30mm up from the base quick sharpen with the angle grinder and bobs ya uncle.
Being hollow my mate was able to hold them with a stick while i wellied them with me sledge without risking himself and they worked a treat. Dimensions not cast in stone mine are ;top of t 55mm, leg of t 110mm side angle pieces 85mm give them a go handy inexpensive bits of kit................Grip

Dobloz

Jan 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
hi grip,

great idea! :You_Rock_
thanks for sharing your solution, i'll make some for splitting my bow wood logs!

this forum is frequented by so many inventive and practical people.
thank you again,
austin

Dave Budd

Gold Trader
Staff member
Jan 8, 2006
Dartmoor (Devon)
www.davebudd.com
Whenever I've needed splitting or felling wdges and I haven't any to hand, I'vejust made wooden gluts from some seasond wood lying about. Takes a few minutes to source and cut and they have allowed me to turn fair sized (16") ash trees into bow staves and mighty oaks into benches :)

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE