Exploding coffee mug

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Well, sat down about twenty minutes ago with my toast and marmalade and a mug (insulated Tesco mug) of Taylors Hot Java Lava the the mug went bang and lifted off the desk on spilled over the floor/keyboard/bottom of trousers.

An insulated mug all I can think is the glue holding the inner liner to the stainless steel outer became soft, the hot coffee heated the air between inner and out mug, expanded and bang...off it went.

Ruined my toast and healthy dob of Frank Coopers Oxford's best marmalade :(

So, Tesco, prepare thyself for a bill, carpet cleaning, new keyboard and trousers.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
I just phoned, I need to take in the mug, trousers, speaker, keyboard and fill a form at my local branch, it certainly woke me up. As it happened I'd put on a pair of Craghoppers (to nip over the shop and get my paper) which are thankfully double lined around the knee or I would have had a burn without doubt. Hey ho, all part of life's fun I suppose.

Tony

White bear (Admin)
Admin
Apr 16, 2003
Wales
www.bushcraftuk.com
be interesting to find out why it happened, not good, can you imagine that in a car on the motorway, or when you're just taking a drink from it...

you'll have the reporters around next wanting a story on it :D

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
All joking aside you could have ended up with some seriously burnt man parts. :puppy_dog

They may have to pull the lot from the shelves.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
It had to be the air between inner and outer getting hot and expanded and soft glue = bang

Most other mornings I'd be sitting in PJ shorts and tee shirt but had gone to get a newspaper hence wearing Craghoppers.

mr dazzler

Native
Aug 28, 2004
uk
It had to be the air between inner and outer getting hot and expanded and soft glue = bang

cheap imported chinese rubbish?

That happens with upvc doors (dark brown oak effect ones) Most windows and doors are white, but they are printed onto a black vinyl-which absorbs sun and gets hot, the air pocket expands, it blows out like a set of bagpipes, and then the layers of polystyrene and the vinly delaminate and the door starts to fall apart....unless, that is, you put a couple of carefully positioned tiny little holes to let the pressure out.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Dishwasher safe, its one of Tesco's own, IIRC it was about £6.50, not one of the £2 Value line... been a great mug up until this happened lol.

Chilling out to a little Lalo Schifrin just now; all is well in the world :)

Badger74

Jun 10, 2008
Ex Leeds, now Killala
I had a problem with a travel mug, and found out in the same way. Turns out water was getting inside the gap between the plastic outer and metal inner, while in the dishwasher, and adding a hot liquid caused a pressure build up.

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk 2

ozzy1977

Jan 10, 2006
Henley
I had the same thing happen to me with my coleman flask cup when it was new, sorted it out with a bit of epoxy to join tbe 2 halves back together.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE