Experiments with fatwood

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Askdamice

Tenderfoot
Jun 20, 2006
Windsor Ontario Canada
So... this is what I did....

Experiment A - I left the fatwood as I recieved it. (Roughly the size of thick magic marker.)

- These were easily lit with a flame but could not be lit with a ferrocium rod. Smelled great.

Experiment B - I split the fatwood into toothpic sized splinters.

- These pieces caught fire readily when exposed to flame (as expected) but were difficult to ignite with a ferrocium rod. (1 out of 10 strikes would generate a flame, 30 strikes total.) Smelled great.

Experiment C - I shaved the fatwood into fine, curly, paper-like pieces.

- The shavings caught fire quickly when exposed to flame (lots of sizzle) and ignited with almost every strike from a ferrocium rod. (8 out of 10 strikes would generate a flame, 20 strikes total.) Smelled great.

Experiment D - I Ground the fatwood to a fine pulp (twice as fine as pencil shavings)

- The pulp stayed moist with rezin which burned readily when exposed to flame (like napalm!) but failed to maintain a spark from a ferrocium rod... hmm... interesting. (6 out of 10 strikes generated a small ember but would very quickly die out, 30 strikes total.) Smelled great.

Conclusion...

If I were you, I'd do the fine paper shavings thing. I will be making up some tinder kits using shaved fatwood in old tobacco containers. Smells great.

I'd like to thank my friend and master sheath maker, Eric, from On/Scene Tactical , for supplying me with the fatwood and containers. I would also like to thank my wife and kids, for remaining calm after the first fire alarm went off in the kitchen.

Rick

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I just finely shave a feather stick and light with a spark - mind you it works with any dry wood :eek:

Fatwood does smell nice though :D

Red

I usually shave a few pieces off about the size of a match stick, and strike a spark into some jute string that I have seperated into finer fibres. Strike the fero or even a spark from flint and steel into the jute bundle. It goes up really well, then I put the shavings on, and they burn great. Add the remainder of the fat pine stick and it burns for ages. Plenty of time to then add the rest of your kindling and get a good fire going. Jute string is available from B&Q for less than £3.00 for 58 metres

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE