Experience is not always a good thing!

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

British Red

M.A.B (Mad About Bushcraft)
Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Pulling on a tree stump today. It gave way suddenly. An outflung hand to avoid the sudden descent, and a finger hit à solid object.

I know from experience what that half heard, half felt snap sound means :(

I also know how long the queues are in our (lowest possible rating) A&E

Might as well shrug, strap the finger to its neighbour and crack on :)

Adze

Native
Oct 9, 2009
Cumbria
www.adamhughes.net
I'd advise taking it along to causality (deliberate spelling) at a less busy time than Friday pm though Hugh, a friend once 'dislocated' a finger which ended up being removed because he 'popped' it back in and carried on, definitely worth being on the safe side.

Macaroon

A bemused & bewildered
Jan 5, 2013
SE Wales
Oh bad news mate, especially for a man who lives and works as you do..............I hope you heal well and fast :)

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
I'd advise taking it along to causality (deliberate spelling) at a less busy time than Friday pm though Hugh, a friend once 'dislocated' a finger which ended up being removed because he 'popped' it back in and carried on, definitely worth being on the safe side.

If it plays up I will drive a couple of hours and find a proper casualty or call on my insurance. Honestly the mob round here are appalling ( the care quality commission are almost inventing lower grades for them, GP the same, lowest rating that exists).

milius2

Maker
Jun 8, 2009
Lithuania
That sounds awfull. I'm always listening my anckles cracking sounds, if I hear them, one week out of work is coming next. And this happens once a year. Recovering after once crack like that now when I made bad decission when jumping into shalow pond after sauna..... bad experience

dwardo

Bushcrafter through and through
Aug 30, 2006
Nr Chester
In school and college I played a lot of basketball and was for ever breaking fingers n thumbs. They used to strap my broken digits into a plastic frame cast which were brilliant. Might be worth digging one out.

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
No minor injury unit in your area?

This is a very rural and low income area, it really doesn't appeal to career minded medics. If hospitals were football teams, we would recruit like Accrington Stanley ;) No minor injuries, no private GPs, no private hospital. Its the price of living in a nice area.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Does you GP not have a Practice Nurse ? Usually they're fearsomely capable and well up for effectively dealing with minor injuries like this.

I hate when my hands hurt :sigh: I hope it heals well and quickly for you.

M

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
My GP does Mary. But to see her I have to see a GP, who will send me for an X Ray. So I wait for 4 hours to be told what I already know. Then ten days when the results are sent to the GP, a distance of four miles, they say "strap it at night and keep bending it during the day"... by which time, if it was anything serious, it would have got much worse.

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
It's all computerised up here. If I have an xray then it's added to my online records and the GP/Surgeon, etc., can see them pretty quickly. I believe that someone who knows what they're looking at does have a look and posts a report to go with them though.

M

British Red

Dec 30, 2005
Mercia
Last time I had tests Mary, the GP surgery rang me to say the doctor wanted to discuss the results. I said when did he want to see me? They said the first available appointment was in eleven weeks time.

Sigh

Toddy

Mod
Mod
Jan 21, 2005
S. Lanarkshire
Yeah, like that was helpful :sigh: Himself's Doctor's surgery won't make any appointment longer than three days away. That's just about as awkward, 'cos if you have to go back 'in a week', then you've to mind to phone in quick three days beforehand.

M

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE