Expedition Menus

• Hey Guest, Early bird pricing on the Summer Moot (29th July - 10th August) available until April 6th, we'd love you to come. PLEASE CLICK HERE to early bird price and get more information.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Hey Bushscout,

Something I got into the habit of years ago when planning expidition meals was hiting the local chinese supermarket. They've been drying all sorts of wonderfull things for centuries. Some I'll admit can be strange to the western pallate ( even a complete mystery ), but I always found the staff happy to help and not laugh at me too much.

They have dried fish, meat, veg, fungi, quick cook noodles. In fact even they're origional version of the dreaded "potnoodle" is pretty good as the pack usually contains seperate little oil and flavour packages... all with extra precious calories.

Like many of the others I too take along preserved meats: - salami, chorzoi and the like and still like making jerky.

On the odder things a favourite for groups I found was good old fashioned Jelly. In it's unprepared state it can make a nice emergancy snack that wont spoil, and if you're doing an overnite camp, make it up and throw in some wild fruit and watch the group morale jump up to 11.

Never trust a thin cook,
Goatboy.

Goatboy

Jan 31, 2005
Scotland
Does Primula keep OK without refrigeration?

Primula keeps pretty well unrefridgereated, though they have the usuall consume within four days of opening... which I've never found to be a problem as it's usually gone in one or two :D

Goatboy.

silvergirl

Nomad
Jan 25, 2006
Angus,Scotland
I'm going out (walking & camping) on the hills next week with a couple of women who have never even seen a tent :eek:

Could be an interesting week :rolleyes:

I'm planning the menu for us and thought I ought to keep it interesting enough not to put then off the experience so far it looks like -

Monday; Tea - Pasta (300g riggoletti or spaghetti), garlic, olives, cherry tomatoes, olive oil, feta cheese, crusty bread. - date slice

Tuesday; breakfast – Porridge, condensed milk, dried fruit, tea/ coffee

Tea- Noodles (4 serving pack), onion, mushrooms, carrot, pepper, cashew nuts, sauce sachet x2 (black bean, chow mien or Sweet & sour) – ginger cake and instant custard.

Wednesday; Breakfast – Musli, dried fruit, pancakes, jam. Tea/coffee
Tea – packet soups. Couscous, Lemon, seasoning, garlic, olives, cherry tomatoes, feta cheese, olive oil,

Thursday; Breakfast – Porridge, condensed milk, dried fruit. Tea/Coffee.
Tea – Tortillas x12 (flour/ corn wraps) 2x tins spicy beans, onion. Pepper. – Chocolate cakes and custard.

Friday; Breakfast – Muesli, pancakes, jam, dried fruit. Tea/coffee.
Tea – Pasta (300g), pesto, garlic, parmesan cheese.

Optional extras. Wine!, bacon, chorizo, bread or bread mix.

Any other (Lightweight) suggestions appreciated

If I'm by myself its much more basic and hopeful supplemented by foraged finds.

silvergirl

Nomad
Jan 25, 2006
Angus,Scotland
Ha thats pretty much what they said :eek:

I think we'll be pairing it down a bit, the fresh food weighs the most but adds that element of taste I don't like doing without.

rik_uk3

Banned
Jun 10, 2006
south wales
Typical weekend would be something like this

Friday night
Home made Chicken curry with rice and bread followed by instant custard and dried fruit

Saturday breakfast
Golden syrup flavour oats then the usual bacon, sausage, eggs, beans, toms, mushrooms, black pudding, fried bread

Lunch
Something simple and light like noodles with salami, then some cheese and biscuits

Dinner
Basic stew or maybe steak or chops with pots and vegetables, tin of rice pudding, cheese or pate and biscuits

Sunday
Full breakfast if staying until the afternoon, or just oats and bacon, sausage and egg sarnies if leaving early.

Snacks in between meals include things like cake, fruit, and pepperami. No hot drinks after 19:30, it spoils my beer or wine moment.

BCUK Shop

We have a a number of knives, T-Shirts and other items for sale.

SHOP HERE